Quilting with monofiliment thread HELP!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Sat, Aug 13 2011 1:51 PM

I have been trying  to quilt my Stars quilt using monofiliment thread on top and black in the bobbin, and either the clear thread bunches up on the bottom or the black thread comes up to the top.  Any suggestions???  I might have to hand quilt this one, but really want to stipple with the clear thread.  Are there different qualities of monofiliment out there?? 

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I've been told that Superior and YLI make the best monofilament threads. 

My Bernina uses a bobbin case, and I pull my bobbin thread through the "eye" of that case when I'm using monofilament, just as I would for embroidery or any free motion work using my stitch regulator.  It tightens the bottom tension just enough to keep the bottom thread from pulling up to the top side.  If your machine doesn't use a bobbin case, then I would check the manual for other suggestions on tension.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 2:14 PM

Annie

I always use Superior Monofilament thread.  I always have trouble with the other brands.  You do need to play with your tension until you get the right settings for the monofilament.  Make a practice sandwich and play until you get it right.  Also, always use the mesh thread cover on monofilament so that it feeds correctly.   Hope this helps.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,561 Posts
Points 139,563

Annie,

It definitely sounds like a tension problem. Out of all of the brands I have tried I lean toward Superior Monopoly myself. Make a practice sandwich and play with the upper tension until you get a nice stitch. This is always a good thing to do when free motion quilting. You can test your bobbin tension by removing the bobbin assembly and giving a gently pull on the thread. The thread should flow freely with a "little" resistance, Most bobbin cases are factory preset and if you are getting a good stitch when sewing with regular thread, I wouldn't touch it. Beautiful quilt! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,840 Posts
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 4:14 AM

Very pretty quilt. Monofilament threads can be made of different materials nylon and polyester being the most common. There are pros and cons to all of them. Find something your machine likes. I've used the colour in the top and the monofilament in the bobbin but never the other way around. Like the others have suggested, I think you need to adjust (tighten) your top tension.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,452 Posts
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:41 AM

Nana:
Also, always use the mesh thread cover on monofilament so that it feeds correctly

Nana, what is the mesh thread cover?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,452 Posts
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:43 AM

Kris:
I've used the colour in the top and the monofilament in the bobbin but never the other way around.

Kris can you explain why you do it that way?  Does anyone else here do it that way?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80

Annie,

I agree with the other people, it sounds like a tension issue.  There should be no need to use a thread net over the MonoPoly.  That will add additional tension on your thread.  What size thread are you using in the bobbin?  It should be a fine thread (#60) which will mesh better with the MonoPoly on the top.  Make sure you bobbin tension is loose along with the top tension.  Then if the black comes up, tighten your bobbin or loosen your top.  If the MonoPoly is coming down to the bottom, tighten your top thread.

I hope this helps you.   If not, give us a call.

Ricci

Superior Threads

We provide happiness in the form of Cotton, Polyester, & Silk Threads.  Sew Superior...... It's Guaranteed!
http://www.superiorthreads.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 10:37 AM

Ricci

I have to use the thread net because the thread is horizontal instead of vertical and feeds to quickly off of the spool.   If I use the net it keeps the tension perfect when I sew.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80

OK, I understand.  Your machines doesn't have a vertical pin?

Ricci

We provide happiness in the form of Cotton, Polyester, & Silk Threads.  Sew Superior...... It's Guaranteed!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 2:44 PM

Ricci

It has a vertical but I usually keep my bobbin thread on it because I can wind my bobbins while I am sewing. 

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80

In this case, you might want to give it a try.  The thread should come off the side and the spool should be spinning freely.  

Ricci

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Isn't this the best club?  How else would I/we ever get professional advice like that?  I mean, it's nice to share opinions, but sometimes you have to hear from the experts!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,452 Posts
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 4:23 PM

Nancy, I'm totally impressed with Ricci and Superior Threads responses.  I may be a convert from Essential which I use.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,840 Posts
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 12:52 AM

Marie:

Kris:
I've used the colour in the top and the monofilament in the bobbin but never the other way around.

Kris can you explain why you do it that way?  Does anyone else here do it that way?

Marie,

I do this because I tend to match the top thread to the colours in the quilt top. Since I piece most of my backs with something totally different from the front the monofilament in the bobbin works better for me. I just never did it the other way. No rule about it or anything. 

My Babylock QCP came with one of those mesh things to put over the spool to prevent it from getting "whiplash". You know when you start and stop the spool spins in one direction or another? That's what I mean. Some threads also unwind faster than other and I've found the mesh helpful. I don't use it on my Pfaff as I find the spool caps help with this.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use