rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 5,365
Patti Posted: Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:52 AM

Hi everyone -

My sisters, cousins, and friends are looking for a place to hold a quilting weekend retreat.  We prefer to have it in New York state, as that is where most of the participants are from.  We were hoping to get a B&B type of place to stay in, but most of those do not have the table space that we need and are not accustomed to their guests being in the house all day long. 

Do any of you know of any retreat centers in New York State that could handle our group?  We would probably have 8-12 women, plus all the sewing machines and cutting paraphernalia that we quilters use.  :-D

Thanks!

Patti in Pgh

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 10:30 AM

Patti -- I have no idea of any specific locations in New York, but I am part of a large group of quilting buddies in MN who like to get together for a retreat a couple of times a year.  We contacted a Bible Camp that is centrally located and you would be surprised at how reasonable the rates are!  We usually schedule a three day weekend.  The camp staff provides meals and snacks throughout the weekend.  There's always a large area at any camp where tables and such are located for sewing and gathering.  Plenty of rooms for sleeping -- not that we do much of that.  We all bring our own bedding and towels and the rest of the necessities are taken care of.  Just an option you may want to check out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 5,365
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 10:44 AM

Thanks for the tip, Georgia!  Here in western PA, I know that you can rent the church camps, and I found Camp Aldersgate in northern New York state, which is where most of my family is from.  I think we'll look into that!

Patti in Pgh

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 2:35 PM

Georgia:
I am part of a large group of quilting buddies in MN who like to get together for a retreat a couple of times a year.  We contacted a Bible Camp that is centrally located and you would be surprised at how reasonable the rates are!

Georgia, are you talking about Lake Beauty Bible Camp?  I am going to attend one of their quilt retreats for the first time in November.  A friend tipped me off to them.  I'm very excited!

Patti, try googling scrapbook or stamp or quilt retreat +New York.  There are homes that have been converted to retreat centers and one that is designed for scrapbooking or the like should work just as well for quilting.  There is a large home 2 miles down the road from me that is used for just such retreats.  It's kind of funny that I have never attended there when it's so close to me, but I don't have a dozen or more quilty friends in this location.  We found the house in Iowa that we are using for the September QCA retreat by googling.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 170

Does anyone know of any quilting retreats where you can go and meet other quilters for a long week-end or weekon the East Coast?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 3:33 PM

MNnancy:
Georgia, are you talking about Lake Beauty Bible Camp?  I am going to attend one of their quilt retreats for the first time in November.  A friend tipped me off to them.  I'm very excited!

Alright Nancy, where is this retreat at?  I need to be kept in the loop on these Minnesota camps, hopefully my husband will release me someday soon!  LOL I have never been to a retreat and I really would like to go to one.  I go to a Camp in the spring for a week that is all kinds of different crafts but no quilting/sewing.  Actually my sisters and I get together every year also - not nearly as many people - only 5, but we are looking for something similar in Minnesota and your area Nancy would be about half way for us.  Do you want to send me the name and contact info for the place near you.

Georgia, where are you located at in Minnesota? Can you send me your camp contact informations also?  Thank you so much.

Loretta in Apple Valley, Minnesota

One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 4:43 PM

The Great River Retreat Center is just down the road from us located on the Mississippi River 30 miles north of Brainerd.  It can accommodate up to 18 people, and prices have been recently reduced.  There are 5 quilt shops within 30 miles of here.  I'd be happy to join anyone who wants to quilt here.

http://www.greatriverretreat.com/index.php

The Lake Beauty Bible Camp quilting retreat is about 60 miles south of my home near Little Falls, I think.  I haven't been there yet, but it sounds like a lot of fun!  I understand the accomodations are a bit rustic.  A lot of people go at one time.

http://www.lbbc.com/Adults/QuiltingRetreats.aspx

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
nwiresort replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:39 PM

The North Woods Inn & Resort is located in Old Forge, NY and can host quilting retreats. We have 28 rooms on property and two restaurants. There is ample meeting space to set-up all the equipment. We host groups and events throughout the year and can customize a group package based on your needs and budget. Go to www.nwiresort.com for more information.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 5,365
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:16 PM

Thank you for the information - that would be a great location for us!   I was looking at your photos - your place is beautiful!  (Although the meeting and conference photo link did not work - resulted in an error message.)

Patti in Pgh

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use