Horror stories

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate posted on Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:37 AM

Does anybody have a quilting horror story to share?

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:29 PM

chocake2:

He loved the  quilt, but still teases me about the "pot leaves" tieing it all together.  Sadly he's right. Those maple leaves don't look much like maple leaves....

I have been crying for the last couple of hours and this made me smile! Thanks for that!!

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
14 Posts
Points 325
Alice replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:33 PM

I was sewing a  decorative stitch on my binding (hearts) . They were coming out in all sizes and awful looking.

I called My Local Joann's store the Husqvarna Dept. for help  I ended up giving her  my suggested  ideas, , but did this one, that sounded Bad.... She suggested using cash register reciepts as a stableizer?????? I did  it WRONG ... My binding is amish black. . Not only did I have to rip and tweezer this mess out it also.left a white coating on the beautiful back fabric. Thankfully it wasn't all caught in the binding. Changing to different feet. MY idea worked.

Some ideas,,,,,, I best reconsider. Look for my finished quilt tomorrow ALICE

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
14 Posts
Points 325
Alice replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:37 PM

Oh, Kate I feel for you , now I am looking for the lesson. Even with all  my  Ott lights,  I have done the same thing with greens and black.  ALice

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 10:02 PM

Mz M:
I have been crying for the last couple of hours and this made me smile!

Mz M, why have you been crying?  Bad quilting day or something other?  There are a lot of caring listeners on this site!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 10:48 PM

Mz M

I bet those tears are for the granddaughter.  Lots of hugs coming your way.  It may not seem like it but the pain will get easier.  Prayers coming your way.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 55

I made a "Kitchen Sink" quilt from a kit consisting of a panel that looked like 30's fabrics already pieced, and then just had to add borders and a cute elongated diamond shape in each corner.  After finishing the top I noticed that one of the diamonds was upside down.  As much as I did feel like it, I unpicked the stitches and turned the diamond and stitched it all back together.  That's when I discovered that I turned the wrong one and now two diamonds were upside down.  Oh well, now it is staying that way - as if that is the way I wanted it to be.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,473 Posts
Points 24,140

My somewhat horror story is that I cut all the fabric for a Dogwood quilt before a retreat. I had spent the past 3 years appliquing the dogwood blossoms. And was ready to set it together with sashing. The pattern had the measurements all wrong, and I had to come up with plan B. Fortunately I had more fabric at home and I redesigned the sashing. I have yet to finish that quilt. It kind of discourages you when they print a pattern wrong. By the way, the pattern is in the Great American Quilts Book eight, Dogwood Star, pg 54. Just in case anyone decides to make that pattern. Sashing pieces are too small. It will be very pretty when I ever finish it. When being the operative word.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 20
rdeeg replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:50 PM

I made a Halloween quilt for my granddaughter. I was working hard to get the binding done, we were leaving the next day for the four hour drive to visit. I stopped for a bite to eat then went back to my sewing room. For some reason I reached around the door to turn on the light instead of walking right in. I flipped the light switch and my light bulb exploded! Glass rained down on the quilt. It took my son and I two hours of sweeping and  vacuuming the room then the quilt. I did finish the binding. I ran the quilt in the washer twice to be sure no glass remained and got to bed about 1:00 a.m.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
544 Posts
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:58 PM

Well mine may not be on purpose but they usually have a flaw of some kind some where on them!!!

Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075

This is very embarrassing, my first quilt on my own was huge! I had to buy a frame for it so I could hand quilt it. took me a year, but about a third of the way thru, I realized I had rolled on my backing  inside out! I had 2 seams showing....now, I had been quilting for 3 months...I decided since this was going on MY bed, no one was even going to know (until now) So I finished it, its on my bed and I LOVE it...but its still embarassing....I will never do that again...lessons in life, the hard ones are the ones that impress the most...sheesh...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,464 Posts
Points 116,640

QDancer

That had to be horrifying, after three months of hand quilting to discover the backing was on inside out! My heart goes out to you. But at least the quilt was for you and who's to know the backing in backwards.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 6:58 PM

I have yet to finish the second quilt I ever started as I think I made every mistake in the book on that one.  First of all, I had never set foot in a quilt shop or taken any lessons of any kind (my first quilt was just rows of squares of fabric, no lessons needed).  I did not have or know what a rotary cutter was but for some reason I think I had a mat.  I wanted to do a rail fence block quilt & cut all the strips with shears, unevenly (not one was the right size), I thought a zig zag stitch would be much stronger than a straight stitch AND I had no way of figuring out how to do a quarter inch seam with that or that it really mattered.  Well, when I finally had the strip sets made & cut out and started to sew the four parts of the block together, nothing was square or even.  It was worse when I tried sewing the blocks into rows - UGH!!! By this time, I was frustrated and had found a quilt shop. I took it in & I learned about all the errors I was making.  I eneded up buying fabric to sash the blocks so at least you couldn't tell they didn't match up to each other, and I did sew some sashing on.  I just can't bring myself to finish this awful mess, though I feel like I should.  It will probably be a UFO forever! LOL  Hmm - maybe I could cut up the blocks & make a crazy rail fence?!?

Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Points 3,075

You are so kind. I had used plain beige muslin for the backing....can I use that as an excuse?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:14 PM

qdancer, i love your rubber duckie with her sunglasses

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
123 Posts
Points 2,200
Sherry replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 9:51 AM

They are probably a Japanese maple leaf which look very similar to mary-jane. I am sure he was just confused.

Page 4 of 6 (76 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use