Horror stories

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate posted on Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:37 AM

Does anybody have a quilting horror story to share?

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
96 Posts
Points 2,045
Barb S replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:21 AM

As a "not so confident" beginner, I have more horror stories than success stories, so far, but with each project I learn something new.  I love the Amish take on "imperfections" and I love reading the posts from veteran quilters -- knowing that you have all had your challenges encourages me.  I see the wonderful quilts in the gallery and think, "Oh, will I ever be able to create something as lovely?"  And, when I read about your bird's nests and cover-ups and tears of frustration, it gives me hope! 

I am the biggest fan of QCA, this message board and website.  I just got my mbrship card, discount card and premium gifts and I am sooo glad I get to hang out here and learn from allof you!!  God bless!

Barb

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 10:03 AM

I want you to know for every one person that doesn't like your quilt there is one accepting of it who loves it with flaws and all. Every other quilt recipient loved their quilt let me know them for you, my sister in law, my mother, my roommate, my college friend, my online friend who bought theirs, my old friend who bought hers, and currently my boyfriend who told me he would love the quilt even if the seams were all wrong and the pattern misshapen because it was made by me and made with love.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,613 Posts
Points 418,189
gini replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 10:18 AM

kris's cat story reminded me of the very first hand quilted quilt i finished.  i left it draped over the couch that night so i could admire it in the morning when i first got up.   our kitty was so proud of my new quilt , she deposited her first mousie right in the middle of it.   blood and all.. yuck  

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
315 Posts
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 10:41 AM

EVERY quilter has at least one1 horror story!  One of mine that comes to mind frequently though is the first quilt I put on my pinnacle frame.  My husband finished setting up the frame and I was so excited I just had to get a quilt on it right away.  I watched the video on loading the quilt before I started and then I carefully followed all the instructions step by step.  Miraculously, the quilt was loaded and ready to go -- it took awhile then but I'm a master at it now.  I started meandering along -- literally -- and rolled my way through the quilt.  I was in heaven!  Until I was I almost finished.  I advanced the quilt on the rollers and all of a sudden, there was no batting!  I was totally befuddled.  It took a moment for me to realize what I'd done.  When loading the 60 x 72 batting, I'd put the 72" side at the top of the quilt!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
381 Posts
Points 5,125

I still recall my very first quilt class (which i took to get out of the house/meet people - just married, new state, new job, and husband worked evenings) - where we were to pick a quilt block and hand piece it.   This is 20+ yrs ago - before rotary cutters.   I picked a St Louis star, so lot of odd shapes.   My block not only didn't turn out square (didn't pay attention to bias), but my sewing was the thing I can laugh at now.   Not knowing any better, my stitches were 'huge' - I basted the whole thing together.  My instructors were quite kind and steered me towards an easier block and showed me how to 'stitch smaller'.

Annette

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,513 Posts
Points 48,310
Angele replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:53 PM

One of my horror stories, I guess would be when I cut all of one fabric for a quilt 1/4 inch too small.  I ended up with a quilt much smaller than planned and my seams were less than 1/4 inch.  Learned  the hard lesson read and measure twice, cut once... The worst part was that it was expensive fabric and I couldn't get anymore.  Well my friends enjoyed it anyway and never new what I did...

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 6:44 PM

My sister and I designed a queen size quilt for her husband for his Christmas present. When it came time to quilt it, my sewing machine broke and I could not get it serviced in time. I borrowed two sewing machines from friends but they were basic machines and the quilt did not fit. I had to hand quilt the queen size quilt in a week. I stitched for three hours, took a break, sewed for a few more hours, took a break and sewed some more every day! All I did was sew, eat and sleep until I finished it. I finished the day befor christmas. The quilt fit perfectly into a box I had gotten for another gift but decided not to use it. My brother in law loved the quilt and was very happy to have it.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:02 PM

Sharon

Ouch....that quilt just wouldn't have gotten quilted at my house..LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,328 Posts
Points 373,277
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:41 AM

Wow Sharon what an accomplishment. He would have gotten it for the following Christmas if that were me.

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

Oh Gosh... which disaster should I report? The as yet unfinished quilt I started for my mom (First quilt) and spilled spaghetti sauce on half way through quilting it? Or the "pig" quilt I made for a guy who was graduating from the police academy. All I could find were pink pig prints for a very mocho fella, so to tone it down some, I used browns to frame the blocks. Then it looked dead. To liven it back up, I found a great dark green "sugar maple" print to use for sashing and the wide outer border.  He loved the  quilt, but still teases me about the "pot leaves" tieing it all together.  Sadly he's right. Those maple leaves don't look much like maple leaves....

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:22 AM

CC

How funny.  I love the idea of "pot" leaves on the police quilt....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:22 AM

My horror story is that first time I used a rotary cutter, I cut off part of the tip of my finger!! Now, I have one finger with a not so round tip.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,613 Posts
Points 418,189
gini replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:45 AM

Sukochi Lee:
first time I used a rotary cutter, I cut off part of the tip of my finger!!

ouchie

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:04 PM

Sukochi

Ouch.  I have sliced the side of my finger before.  Really hurts.  Also cut a nice slice in a sleeve once.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 3 of 6 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use