Horror stories

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate posted on Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:37 AM

Does anybody have a quilting horror story to share?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 1:22 PM

I did a mitered border and cut the border wrong on one corner.  The seam came out really off so I added broderie perse flowers to cover that corner of the border.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,812

My very first full sized quilt includes a vertical row of parallelograms running down the full length of each side as an inner border.  One of the rows was quite a bit too short for the nearly finished quilt, so I added another full parallelogram to it to even out the sides.  Nobody has every noticed, but that's how I learned how important accuracy of the 1/4 inch seam is.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 3:38 PM

Only on how a quilting teacher embarrassed me in front of the class.  After my first actual quilting class (I had done tons of baby panel - batting- tied quilts in the past) one of the women I had met from that first class told me about another class that was a 10 month block of the month.  I went to the store doing the class, and saw this beautiful queen sized quilt by Jackie Robinson of Animas Quilts, a 3D conglomerate, called "Harvest Song".  It has some log cabins that had 3D pinwheels in the middle of them, tessalating leaves, 3D leaves, and it was a beauty!  So I asked the ladies if a confident beginner could do it.  "SURE" they said. So I signed up. 25 of us were in there, elbow to elbow.  It seemed every person but me knew what was going to happen AND how to do it, so they were cutting., sewing, and ironing up a storm! All the while I would be asking "So what's next?" and "how do I...." I ended up sitting in front of the room, and on 3 separate occasions the teacher would reach down, snap up a block of mine that I had finished, start laughing, and say "OK - now this is what you are NOT supposed to do..."  SO - after the third month, I quit going!  I felt so bad, because everyone laughed so hard! SO - another woman in the class contacted me, got me up to snuff on the side, and the last 2 months I went back in, and out of 25 people I WAS ONE OUT OF ONLY 4 WHO FINISHED THAT DARN QUILT!  And I never went back.  But then the shop closed down, so I guess I couldn't, anyway.  I will post that quilt to my gallery some day....  and at least I finished.  phew! (and that teacher no longer has a job there! I think that is what you call Karma - )

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Lets see, if that happened here i'd be saying "what a cow, she teaches??"  I'm glad you didn't let this experience turn you off of quilting.

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 3:58 PM

teehee!  Thanks  for your reaction, Vivian!  I had been sewing for so much of my life, and I knew I could sew DIFFICULT things, like Shakespearean dresses, and make children's costumes from scratch, that I KNEW I was a better sewer than she is!  I was also a teacher for 12 years, and knew I was a better TEACHER than she is!  I just had to find that faith in myself to go back in, and with the help of a stranger, I did.  But I also knew I would never get turned off from exploring how to quilt, because I knew if I couldn't "make it" in a class, then I would "fake it until I make it" - you know?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Bella:
I felt so bad, because everyone laughed so hard!
  and this would never happen in one of my classess either, this is just rude. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

My biggest horror was when I was longarm quilting a supper queen with invisible thread and the tension went wonky on the back! I used my flashlight to look at the back and saw all these fuzzy whiskers for an entire row. After crying for 1/2 an hour, I got my tweezers ,seam ripper and magnifying glass and got to work!

juydlee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 12:22 AM

Bella:

- now this is what you are NOT supposed to do..."   .......I WAS ONE OUT OF ONLY 4 WHO FINISHED THAT DARN QUILT!  And I never went back......

Bella - that is such an horrid story! My self esteem just wouldn't have been able to handle it. You are a much stronger woman than I am for sure. I would have finished the quilt on my own and then shoved it in her face - in a nice way of course. And then let her know what damage she can do to others with her mouth. And yes that is poetic justice/Karma.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 12:35 AM

Kate:

Which reminds me... it is Amish custom to make an imperfection on purpose, because only God is perfect. 

Great words of wisdom for us quilters lol. 

I have multiple imperfections and they all came without conscious effort. lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 1:14 AM

Yes, my horror story is I was making a birthday quilt for my boyfriends mom bought by her husband for her.  I had made a small mistake and one block during the quilting process at home got lumpy and did not lay straight.  Also they complained about the size for the price as well. It was a little bit smaller than a normal lap quilt it fit mostly from above the waist down to feet. I even told them I would add more to make up for the size at beginning if it was to small. But they noticed the other error as well and ended up wanting the money back after it was made ($100).  We got into an argument over it on the phone before we came to conclusion to return money.  Two lessons learned: 1) Always allow for extra backing and batting when quilting at home and 2) I did not know she was so anal on things and will never make a quilt for her again. Even though we are back on good terms I won't put myself and our families through it again. I cried for daysssssss because she said bad things about my quilting and sewing skills and said she wouldn't even pay that price for a beautiful wall hanging done by artist. I know I would if it was beautiful enough.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 1:16 AM

I know that amish saying and I told my boyfriend that and he says that makes their quilts twice as valuable because you learn something about their faith at the same time.  He did stick up for me against his mom which made me smile.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,473 Posts
Points 362,102
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 2:15 AM

My cats got to the quilt I made for my DH's grandparents. Here's what I wrote in my blog:

"I think I had a small small stroke when I returned home from a lovely time outside to discover that my darling kitty cats have had the worst case of inappropriate scratching ever. They attacked my Nana & Gramp quilt. Heaven help me. There are tiny rips in it. After screaming for what seemed like an hour (actually about 5 minutes) I managed to calm down and think. I may be able to remedy the situation by adding some heavy quilting over the torn areas. It is already quilted so replacing the pieces is not an option at this point. I talked to the LQS owner and she thinks it will be ok too (I'm entering the quilt in her show next month). I can't look at it anymore so I'm going to lie down for a while."

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

While in Germany a young lady asked me to make her a quilt. I told her where she could buy her fabric then sent her on her way. She did not follow my advice and decided to purchase VERY UGLY upholstery like fabric that was on sale in a different shop. It was all so awful that it took me two months to even get started. I went to the LQS and begged them to help me. I managed to make something that she absolutely loved by adding some of my own fabrics. I asked her not to tell anyone I made it.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I'd quilted half of my QCA mystery quilt #1 before I noticed that the back was a bird's nest. I was so disheartened that it sat for quite some time. Dh took pity on me one day and frogged it while watching TV. I have yet to give it another go.

I could go on for days on this subject. Love reading all the stories.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:23 AM

Im so sorry you were treated so poorly. That is inexcusable. I do hope that karma is to thank for her demise. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:25 AM

LOL!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:29 AM

Clearly, not many quilt recipients have a clue about the intensity of work involved in making a quilt.

By the way, what does 'bird's nest' mean?

Page 2 of 6 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use