Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 40 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 7:14 PM | Locked

Grandma Sal:

Just wanted to jump in here and add some of my info.  I am sure there is alot to learn from all the experience out here.

you just jump in anytime.  I have learned so much from everyone on here. I would have lost my sanity several time if it had not been for the ladies here helping me.  Really wish there was a class I could take.  Been watching video's  and I finally have done a quilt top that I am willing to put my name on.  Still have a lot to learn, but it is going much easier now that I have the right bobbins.  Who would have thought of such a thing as the wrong bobbins being packed with the machine.  I am in the process of sewing on the binding, then will post the picture.  I need a 48 hour day.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 7:21 PM | Locked

really great quilting on that quilt Jeannie. 

As usuall I am a little confused.  you are using 11-12,  Doesn't that number represent the numbeer of stitches per inch?  If so would not the 10 be a bigger stitch?  and 14 or 15  smaller stitches.   I am trying to figure out what stitch go with what.   Like feathers, my thinking is to use 15 or 16  because of the curves.  Does that sound right to anyone.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:13 PM | Locked

Glad that you finally found out what the problem was with your machine.   No, I can't believe they packed the wrong bobbins, but then quality control seems to be s sometimes thing anymore.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 9:49 PM | Locked

Granny M:
 Really wish there was a class I could take.

My first quilting setup was a Juki on a Grace frame.  I pretty much perused online info and some books, but did not take any classes.  I knew a couple people who quilted, so I had good experience to direct my questions to.  When I bought my Tin Lizzie the place I bought it offered a free 2-day class to learn the machine.  My husband's first comment was that I knew how to use a quilting machine, why would you need to take a class.  I pointed out that the class was free and I inquired and found that he could go to the class with me, so we had a little getaway, and I got to take the class.  His being there was great because he also learned some of the things I would be dealing with that he probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise.  I found out there was alot I didn't know, and I wasn't necessarily doing anything "wrong", but there were so many ways to do things better.  So even when you think you know, taking a class can show you that you don't know as much as you think you did.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:15 AM | Locked

I am going to take classes as well. not because I know anything at all but because you learn some little thing from everyone.  Even if it's something you would never do.  I't hard to find a longarmer where I live and I have to travel.  I am going to be doing some charity quilts so I can get back at it after being gone and sick for a time.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:52 AM | Locked

GrannyM,

You are right the smaller the number the less stitches to the inch (bigger stitch). Because of the curve you would want more stitches to the inch so you would go with a higher number (smaller stitches). I had heard somewhere that a rule of thumb would be 10 SPI for free motion, 12 SPI for pantographs, 14 SPI for going around applique.  Remember the more SPI the harder it is if you have to take out stitches :-).  I'm sure others have their tried and true methods as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 4:03 PM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

The stitches look great!

Judylee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 10:32 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
I can't use pantographs because my room is not big enough to be able to attach the handles on the rear side.

Depending on how wide the pantograph is have you ever considered pinning in to the quilt just above or below where you will be stitching on the front of the quilt and using a laser pointer attached to the front handles to follow it?  I've done that.  Takes a bit of pratice.  I've even tried using a chopstick as a stilus but sometimes it is not long enough.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:02 AM | Locked

That's what I just did on my quilt and I quilted it from the front using my laser pointer.  Took a little bit of practice and patience, but it worked.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 130
Tom replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 1:55 PM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

I bought my Gammill Classic plus in Oct 2009.

We had moved from Connecticut to Ohio in 2007. My wife is a quilter and didn't find a longarmer here in Ohio right away so I suggested she get a Gracie frame and a Pfaff Grand quilter that we saw in the shop and try it herself. She didn't take to it so I gave it a shot. My hobby is woodworking so I thought it was close to scrollsawing. She liked my work so I worked on that for a year and decided I wanted bigger - more power arggg! That is when I sold the gracie/pfaff and bought the Gammill. No regrets. It is a great machine.

I am paying for it by quilting for others. Doing QOV and of course, being the dedicated longarmer for my wife.

I just redesigned my website, check it out www.oakleaf-quilting.com

Tom

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 1:59 PM | Locked

Good for you Tom.  I agree that the techniques for longarmers is very similiar to woodworking.   I used to do some woodworking but not so much anymore.   Now I am addicted to quilting...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:43 PM | Locked

Tom:
She didn't take to it so I gave it a shot.

Well Tom, I have been trying to get my husband to give it a shot for a while now.  He gets very involved with my quilting... by that I mean he observes alot of what I do and offers suggestions for better ways to attack a problem, or he has praises for how nicely something is coming along. He was the one that decided that I needed a bigger more powerful setup. He knows what the stitches should look like and he checks on me often.  He has a good eye for color and design and I know he would be great at quilting.  He just doesn't want to take the jump into a quilt and have it not turn out the way he wants it to.  What it boils down to is he enjoys being my booster club, and really would rather keep me as the quilter.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 4:07 PM | Locked

Tom,

What a great web site! You do marvelous quilting. I, too, love my Gammill. Mine is a Optimum Plus.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 4:52 PM | Locked

Granny M:
As usuall I am a little confused.  you are using 11-12,  Doesn't that number represent the numbeer of stitches per inch?  If so would not the 10 be a bigger stitch?  and 14 or 15  smaller stitches.  

Yes, 11-12 stitches per inch.  My Millenium uses those numbers.  Other machines might have different settings??  Anyway, 10 would be bigger stitches.  I haven't used smaller and I have played around with doing feathers and I think they would work fine using 12 stitches per inch.  But you are getting out of my experience base on that topic.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 4:57 PM | Locked

Tom:

Hi Jeanine,

I bought my Gammill Classic plus in Oct 2009.

We had moved from Connecticut to Ohio in 2007. My wife is a quilter and didn't find a longarmer here in Ohio right away so I suggested she get a Gracie frame and a Pfaff Grand quilter that we saw in the shop and try it herself. She didn't take to it so I gave it a shot. My hobby is woodworking so I thought it was close to scrollsawing. She liked my work so I worked on that for a year and decided I wanted bigger - more power arggg! That is when I sold the gracie/pfaff and bought the Gammill. No regrets. It is a great machine.

I am paying for it by quilting for others. Doing QOV and of course, being the dedicated longarmer for my wife.

I just redesigned my website, check it out www.oakleaf-quilting.com

Tom

Sounds like you are on to something, Tom.  I think my husband would also be good at the longarm but I think he knows that he better stay away for now.  It is MINE.  But he is great at setting things up for me and and enabling me to quilt, quilt, quilt.  There is a gentleman in Lincoln, NE (The Cosmic Cow quilt shop) that used to be in construction and now quilts and runs the quilt store.  He says he has a backlog of 5-6 months he is so busy.  Says he makes more quilting than he did in construction.  My husband and him talk while I shop every time we go there. 

Page 40 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use