Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 4 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Aug 14 2011 8:24 PM | Locked

Jeanine:
The bigger the needle, the bigger the whole

Why did I spell hole "whole"?  I guess it is time to get off the computer.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 14 2011 9:47 PM | Locked

Has anyone used the new polyester thread from Connecting Threads for their long arm quilting?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Aug 14 2011 10:18 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Has anyone used the new polyester thread from Connecting Threads for their long arm quilting?

I ordered some of this but have not used it yet.  I will let you know how it goes when I use it.  I'm curious myself.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 12:59 AM | Locked

Nancy,

I have a spool of this thread but have not used it yet - sorry!  I use their Essential thread most of the time along with some Robinson Anton threads and Alex Anderson's Masterpiece thread for regular stitching.

I can't imagine it not being any good as I think Connecting threads is one of the best places to buy stuff - the only complaint I have about them as their fabric lines don't seem to stay available very long but I have been happy with their fabrics, threads and service,

Marge P

Methow Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 1:13 AM | Locked

I did post in the Newcomers section but will post here also.  I just found this Longarmers Share this evening and was happy to see the response to it.

I have a Nolting 24 Pro - lavendar in color and named Lila.  It is nore machine than I needed but hubby insisted.  I got her in 2007, took a long time to get it really up to snuff, then in 2010 I was down for the count and didn't do any quilting.  Am back at it and am trying to do it more regularly.

Like I stated in my intro, I think stitch in the ditch is harder on a longarm than a regular machine.  I have the base plate, the rulers, and I still find it difficult to do but keep trying.  I do have pantos and have only done a couple, have the Circle Lord which takes a lot of time but sure does make good circles and other patterns.  I am trying to learn feathers and they look great on paper but haven't had Lila try them out.  My machine does have a stitch regulator and I use it alot of the time.

I have way too many UFO's and really need to get them done - It will be interesting to keep track of what you gals are up to and I am sure I will learn lots.

I fully endorse Superior Threads and SewThankful (NM) for thread purchasing - I use BottomLine prewound bobbins in my machine, use So Fine, King Tut and have used Robinson Anton thread alos in Lila.  The thread color cards from Superior Threads are a real help as they are thread not just colored paper.  I usually use an 18 needle in my machine - Gros Beckert is the brand I use.  Nolting sells those and I have seen them on the Superior site also. 

So will try and be an active member of this group - glad to see you are talking long arm machines.

Marge P

Methow Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:19 AM | Locked

Welcome, Marge!  I am looking forward to sharing info between longarmers.  I know we can learn a lot.  I use some Superior Threads but I have really started liking the Glide thread by FilTec.  I also use the BottomLine prewounds.  I haven't used any rulers for the longarm.  I am most comfortable with pantographs right now but will venture out slowly into other areas.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:26 AM | Locked

Welcome, Marge!  I'm glad you found this mid- & long-arm section (discussion thread).  We hope to learn a lot from each other.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 183
Points 5,370
Patti replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:42 AM | Locked

Do any of you use a white board and marker to practice your free motion designs?  I find that it helps to get the pattern into my head.  I make sure that my wrist/arm are not resting on anything so that I can really get the feel of the motion that I will be making once I move to the longarm. 

Patti in Pgh

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:46 AM | Locked

I've used paper and pencil to practice, but I suppose if the white board is large enough, you can practice more of an all-over movement similar to that at the frame where as using a pencil is just a hand movement.  I also like to practice at the machine on a large scrap of fabric.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Aug 15 2011 11:16 PM | Locked

one thing i found was if i loaded the quilt to narrow, the machine "bumped" the elastic cable clamps when i was working on the borders.  causes little skips, which i can do very well on my own.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 4:42 AM | Locked

I agree that the clamps sometimes get in the way.  Does a person need to waste a lot of backing material to make that back extra wide to keep the clamps offset further?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:26 AM | Locked

Vivian :

one thing i found was if i loaded the quilt to narrow, the machine "bumped" the elastic cable clamps when i was working on the borders.  causes little skips, which i can do very well on my own.

I place a curtain rod or yardstick under the bungee cords and across my poles to life the clamps a little so that it doesn't hit as the machine gets closer to the side.  I don't know if all machines are set up for that to work but thought I would throw that out there.  It is still better to have 2-3" on each side to work with.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 2,678
Harolyn replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 7:58 AM | Locked
I have an HQ Sweet Sixteen mid arm and I love it! I have hooked up with Leah Day online and am learning basic free motion from her videos. I have had my machine since last Christmas and still have a ton to learn.
MAKE EVERYDAY AN ADVENTURE!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 10:14 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

I agree that the clamps sometimes get in the way.  Does a person need to waste a lot of backing material to make that back extra wide to keep the clamps offset further?

Nancy

I always allowed at least 3 inches extra backing and batting all the way around my quilt when loading onto the frame.  It keeps the clamps out of the way as well as giving extra room at the leaders.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Tue, Aug 16 2011 2:22 PM | Locked

Hi Nancy - I haven't tried that yet - APQS recommended the Superior Thread so since I'm new at this, I've been using that with good results so far.  May try the connecting threads thread someday though - I like their fabric...and their prices!

Page 4 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use