Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 38 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:38 PM | Locked

Of course my girls are named (but not very original).  My APQS Millenium is called Millie, and my Bernina is called Nina.  They fought at first but now they have come to understand that each has their own important role in the sewing room!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 12:03 AM | Locked

I'm glad I'm not the only one that names her machines!  I have finally got some quilting done.  I did two quilts for charity on Sunday as well as a tablerunner my niece made for her mom.  I have two Army quilts pinned to zippers and ready to quilt.  I also have two more Quilts of Valor in the mail that I need to get quilted.  Unfortunately, we have something planned every night this week and I have given in to my DH and will be driving to Marion, IA for the Williams family reunion.  Not what I wanted to be doing.  The compromise...he is taking me to the quilt show in Elkhorn, NE Friday and we only will stay one night in Marion.  I thought that was fair and doable.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:13 AM | Locked

Well I am finally back, although I may be leaving for a few days again later this week.  My BFF's 41 yr old son died in accident last week and all of us are a bit of  a mess right now and trying to prop JR up. 

Have not had time to do a lot of quilting.   Did finish one top using signature thread  40/3  which did OK but like to never got the stitch on the back the way I wanted it .  Have not tried the connecting thread 50/3 again yet.   Did try Thread Art 40/3 and I really like that thread.  It has a smoother feel then the other ones I have tried and way less lint.  Not expensive either.  I plan to order more soon

I noticed someone talking about  "waxing the rails"    Is this something I should do?  if so what do you use.   We are talking about the rails on the carriage, not the track the carriage rides on right.    Oh the learning curve.   I hope to get more time to practice on Mamma's Jewel this week.  yep I name to,  Big Brother, little brother and Mamma's Jewel. 

Problem with my  quilting house is no computer, internet or phone, wait that is not really a bad thing as I don't get interupted, also don't get to keep up with things as well.   choices, choices, quilt or talk,  talk or quilt, boggles the mind.

Will post picture of last practice quilt soon as I remember to take the camera to the quilting house.      Everyone have a quilty day

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:18 AM | Locked

I do have a name for my Gammill and it's Martha Mae, after my grandmother. Now for my other three machines I will have to come up with something. I never thought to name them. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 5:59 PM | Locked

OK...I just named my Janome 1600P.  Ezra.  It means Helper.  I thought that was fitting and easy to say.  I think that's where naming stops.  I don't have anything else I feel strongly about.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 10:31 AM | Locked

I went on a field trip yesterday to a proffesional long arm quilter and instructor.  He dosn't use a computer, all free motion.  I learned a lot in such a short time.  Some that I'll use, some I'll have to thing about.  Such as, he dosen't roll his batt and top on the belly rollers.  he secures the backing, slips the batting and top in, straigtens it and stitches across the top and down the sides and leaves the rest to waterfall over the bars.  he says,and i have to agree, he can plan his quilting pattern and time better, he can check the placement of the top and a bunch of other good reasons. 

He also loads the back with the piecing seams horizontal.  he says that that keep the seam from creating hills and  valleys as you near the end of the quilt.  I haven't had a probelm with this, but I can see if your doing a large quilt that that might be a concern.  I expect as I do more quilts, I'll decide if i want to load horizontal or vertical.  I am going to take a class from him in the next couple of weeks and one in December.  I am really looking forward to it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 10:41 AM | Locked

Though I am not a lonarm quilter, it sounds like you got a lot of good information.  It sounds like it will be very valuable to be able to take  the classes from him.  If I were a long arm quilter, I would be very excited to have found an instructor who will share the ins and outs of longarm quilting....Ginny 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 10:50 AM | Locked

I know, it was awsome!!  I hung around so long I thought he was going to ask me to load a quilt.  And I could have,  they use the tube and snapper system(I know it isn't called that but I'm on cold meds and I can't think!!) and I'll be ordering a set.  You can load a quilt in no time. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 11:30 AM | Locked

Vivian

Your experience with the longarmer sounds like fun.   I tried floating my top a couple of times and didn't like it.  I guess to each their own...

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 11:32 AM | Locked

I'm not sure if it will work on my frame, each machine seems to need a certain amount of tension that may not be provided by floating the top, but I'll try it.  I like the idea of being able to see the remaining top.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 11:39 AM | Locked

I'm going Friday to learn how to use a longarm at my local shop.  I'll ask about floating there too.  As for the back seams,  check you shops for wider fabric.  I know Joann's is now stocking extra wide quilting fabric in 108' widths.  I've bought three bolts in different colors.  NO SEAMS!

Good luck to us with your long arm quilting.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 11:45 AM | Locked

I know, but some prefer to match the backing to the fabric on the front and it dosn't always come in the wider widths forcing us to peice the back.  If its a lap or smaller size, I don't see it being a problem but with the kings it might be an issue.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 3:48 PM | Locked

Hi Vivian,

Sounds like your day was productive. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and observe.  I float smaller quilts but not my larger ones because I don't have enough control.( Control Freak Here!)  I always drape and float the batting because when I put it on the rail it would stretch and pull in odd ways. I press the seams open on my pieced backings for clients and myself and have had no problems at all. If the seams were pressed to one side it does buildup and cause borders to wave or have little lumps. Depending on the quilt, I will load it top to bottom, if the design is an all over I will usually load it side to side.  I would love  to watch someone else work.  I spent a week at the Longarm Getaway by Babylock, but the instructor was an art quilter and was not teaching the ins and outs of my machine.  I want to see someone who is intimately involved with their machine and has skill to learn from. I envy you, Vivian! Can I hide in your pocket! LOL!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 4:07 PM | Locked

Hi Ginny,

It was really bad around Florida just trying to find a longarmer who was actually kind enough to share what they know.  I guess that maybe the other longarmers didn't want to train future competition. I had to read every article and watch every video that I could find.  I would still love to watch a PRO!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 4:20 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:
I would love  to watch someone else work

Check out Matt Sparrow Studioz.  he has a webcam.  don't know how active it is but he has one.

Page 38 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use