Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 156 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 154 155 156 157 158 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:09 PM | Locked

I have just received this 69 x 84 Christmas quilt. FYI,  I have only done a couple of quilts for pay. This quilt will have a white backing. I can not decide what pattern, free motion or panto, to do on the quilt or which color thread to use. I, had at first, thought of green Bottom Line thread with a poinsettia and holly pantograph. Keep in mind that I will be using green in the top as well as the bobbin.  I thought white would show up too much on the top and distract, but that is DH pick.  It would certainly be better for the backing. Then I got to thinking that if the centers of the poinsettias (which are circles) landed on the embroidery designs, I could have a great deal of thread breakage and it would also distract from the embroidery.  So now I'm thinking of using the pointsettia in the border and doing each block individually but I know I'm far from perfect and all the mistakes are going to show since I'm using green thread. I have considered using Bottom Line green on top and Bottom Line white in the bobbin, if I have white,  but I haven't had good luck with each color not showing through but Bottom Line is thinner.  Stitching in the ditch really isn't an option as the piecing doesn't match up in a lot of places.  This is the worst part of quilting for me. Hummmmm, any ideas would be apprecited? 

Thought about it all morning and now going to lunch.

Thank you.

p.s. As I'm typing this it put me to thinking....I'm going to look for Bottom Line white thread. I may go ahead and use it in the top and bobbin and put the panto in the border and each block individually.  Still appreciate any other ideas you quilters might have as, if I do it this way, I will still need ideas for the blocks, sashings and red border.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:49 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:
Love Love the colors and all the geese!

Thanks, JudyLee - I like the geese and enjoyed making them from the Triangulations 3.0 program that I have.  I have never been a fan of them but doing them the PP way, they were easy.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:53 PM | Locked

Vivian :
I just love looking at everyones quilts. Picture me with my glasses pushed up on my head with nose pressed against the monitor to see the fine stitches.  hehehe.

Vivian - please don't look too closely if you are looking at my quilt - you won't see many fine stitches!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:57 PM | Locked

Ramona:
p.s. As I'm typing this it put me to thinking....I'm going to look for Bottom Line white thread. I may go ahead and use it in the top and bobbin and put the panto in the border and each block individually.

I definitely try and use the same color thread top and bottom for the exact reasons you stated.  I think your plan sounds good - nice quilt too.  Have you used So Fine for your top thread?  I generally use the So Fine and then the bottomline pre-wound bobbins.  I have had better luck using the pre-wounds rather than doing my own on my longarm.  I always swore I wouldn't go that route but I was wrong.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:07 PM | Locked

Marge,

I don't have any of the So Fine thread.  Guess I will need to order some to have on hand.  It won't be here for this quilt though.  I have used the Bottom Line on top and in the bobbin before for one project some time ago.  Let me ask a stupid question.....is it called Bottom Line because it's normally a bobbin thread or can it be used for both? I have a separate bobbin winder and haven't had any problems there. I don't currently have any prewound bobbins. Never used them but I may check into it.

Thanks for your thread suggestion. Do you have any quilting ideas for the blocks?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:16 PM | Locked

Marge,

I will say this is the first quilt she has ever made. I helped her pick out her fabrics about 4 years ago.  She participated in the BOM with our guild and she provided everyone the fabrics.  She then had assistance in getting it set together, which was just finished this year. Since it's been such accomplishment for her to finally get it to this point, I do hate to mess it up. I am also trying to get my name out a little bit in the area so my reason for wanting it to turn out well is two fold.  She has never been a quilter, even though she is a member of the guild, and each year she takes on the task of being the head organizer for our quilt show committee. I'd really like for it to turn out well for her.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:25 PM | Locked

Ramona, I don't know how much time you want to spend quilting but, I have seen stars with cross hatching in the corners that looked really good. On the red border you could do a running holly leaf. Decisions, decisions. I have the same problem.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:32 PM | Locked

Ramona:
I have used the Bottom Line on top and in the bobbin before for one project some time ago.  Let me ask a stupid question.....is it called Bottom Line because it's normally a bobbin

Ramona - really can't answer that question but I know when I bought a bunch of thread over in Tacoma WA from Bob at Superior Threads (Utah) I had decided I would use bottomline for both and wind my own bobbins so it was a perfect color match.  Before I ever achieved that, I bought some SoFine and the pre-wounds to match (BL pre=wounds do not have all colors to match the SoFine).  I used the SoFine first and liked it so much that I eventually contacted Superior Threads and he allowed me to return the BL large spools for credit towards equal value of SoFine and pre-wounds.  You can go to the Superior Thread website and see but I think the BL is okay to use on both sides but the SoFine is a bit nicer thread. I have also used King Tut but seem to like the So Fine and my machine likes it too.  I have a SoFine black and red varigated that I need to use on a red, white and black quilt.  I hope it works out as well as I think it will.

As far as the blocks are concerned, I would probably do a lot of stitch in the ditch on the star points and the middle of each block.  Then perhaps put a freehand loopy pattern reversing the loops each time around the red inner borders - perhaps on wider border put a pattern where you go to the right and make a circle, come back to the left make a circle and repeat this 2-3 times horizontally and then do the same pattern vertically for the same distance and then go back to the horizontal.  It softens the borders with the circle motif in the stitching.  I believe that Jeanine has a panto that does that if I remember correctly.  When you do it row after row it makes a checkerboard pattern.  I like using that stitch in borders that are 2-3" wide.  You can also go back and forth without the circles horizontally  spacing the stitching 1/2" apart and then after doing that for like 3" do the same vertically.

At times I don't describe things very well so hope I didn't make it worse.  On the blocks you could also SID on the center square and then do a stipple in the outer corners.  I am sure you will do great whatever you decide.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:41 PM | Locked

Ramona:
Stitching in the ditch really isn't an option as the piecing doesn't match up in a lot of places.  This is the worst part of quilting for me. Hummmmm, any ideas would be apprecited? 

Oops!  Just went back and read where you said SIDisn't a good option.  Then I would do the stippling in the main star parts or all of the background of the stars but perhaps still SID in the very center of each block to stabilize it if it would work.

Yes, working with another's work can be a challenge.  I have only done it twice and i much prefer my own piecing to others - not that it is perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I do try hard to keep things straight and lined up.

Good luck and let us know - It doesn't take long to get threads from Superior Threads - they are located in George UT.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:42 PM | Locked

Joan L.:
Decisions, decisions. I have the same problem.

Joan - you are so right!  I love the top making but really drag my feet when it comes to the quilting.  Sometimes it just falls into place but more often than not, it DOESN"T!

:-(

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:16 PM | Locked

Joan and Marge,

Thank you so much for some great ideas. I'm pinning it on the frame and getting ready to press the backing. Won't start quilting until tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:46 PM | Locked

Thank you so much for sharing the quilting from the quilt show.  Definitely sparks creativity and ideas.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:02 PM | Locked

Hi Ramona,

It so nice to see you playing again! LOL!

I was watch a youtube video and was interested in how the quilter used gray thread on a yellow. blue orange , red and white quilting blocks.  It was surprising to see how well the gray blended, you could see the quilting easily but it did not over power on any of the blocks.  Have you puddled your thread choices onto the quilt yet?

The quilt is truly beautifully done.

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:22 PM | Locked

Judylee,

Thank you. I'm giving it a go anyway. Hard to get back in the swing of things.  They did do a good job setting the quilt.

I have used the silver Bottom Line thread and it does disappear very nicely. I found that I have white Bottom Line and lots of the silver. As you suggested, I did puddle both to see which disappears the best. They appear to be about equal with the white standing out a wee bit more. Since I haven't quilted, except for the baby quilt, since last October I'm a pretty rusty. I also puddled the Permacore green and white and it just stands out more than I would like for sure so they are out. I have the green Bottom Line and it looks good on the top but, since I'm rusty and I'm still a beginner, I want to hide the stitches more on the back. LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:03 AM | Locked

Hi Ramona,

Have you started the quilting yet? I am excited to see what you have done so far. I haven't been able to get online for a couple of days. Short term memory loss is a bear sometimes.  I wrote down my ID and Password and then could not find them, LOL!

Happy to be home?

Judylee

Page 156 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 154 155 156 157 158 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use