Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 124 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 122 123 124 125 126 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,160
Granny M replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:07 PM | Locked

Cindy Stowe:

That's not a bad idea! When I was threading Queenie, I found it awkward to thread her. Maybe I'll try threading from other side of the frame will help me. Just getting started with my longarm & have LOTS to learn!!

Cindy, I am a lefty with a crown Jewel,  I pull mine down to the far right end, then I can reach all the hooks and holes like I am standing in front of it.  It took me awhile to get use to the threading.   What I did was put a quilt on the frame that I did 4 color changes on.  Trust me, when I finished that quilt I could thread that machine in nothing flat.  I don't even have to look at the hole in the needle to thread it.    Hang in there and don't be blaming the left hand, it just means our right brain is bigger and that's where all the logic and creative is. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,160
Granny M replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:10 PM | Locked

Vivian :
All in all, it was a great back-patting day. 

Whoopee Vivian!!!

Granny M  Well Done 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:16 PM | Locked

All better from surgery, I did this before surgery.  It is for my husband and his beagle.  The writing is freehand on the longarm.  Quilt is called Walky Dog

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:42 PM | Locked

Love your quilt!  And the personalization with the quilting.  I think I will try that for my grandsons first bay quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:45 PM | Locked

Granny M:

Jeanine:

Are there any left handed quilters out there? I have a friend that bought an abm innova or something close to that.  She is a lefty and was at the back doing a panto from left to right.  I thought that was backwards but I am right handed.  Do you need to make modifications for left hand?

I am left handed. I do the pantos from right to left but I don't really thinks it makes a difference.  BUT,  I did see somewhere that the machines run better going from left to right on the front, which I think would be right to left on the back.  Has to do with the smoothness of the bobbin unwinding.   Now that I have confused things as usual, I personally do not see a difference on which way I am going.

Granny M

I do remember hearing it was better for the machine to go left to right but wasn't sure why.  Thanks.  I think it does work both ways but I think if the laser light was moved to the opposite side, it would work fine and be going the preferred direction.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:50 PM | Locked

Jeanine:

I put my grandson's 1st Birthday quilt on the frame last night and started quilting.  Then I blew the ground at the outlet (this has happened a few other times) and had to reset it.  But when I did I forgot to set my stitch length so they were big and you could see the "eye lashes" around the curves.  I debated on keeping it or not as I'm sure  no one else will notice but I can't.  So I went to take a hot bath.  Tonight I will rip out that row and continue on.  Just a minor set back. 

I have another t-shirt quilt to do this weekend, too.  They need it for a graduation on May 5.  She expected the binding to be included and when I told her it wasn't you could see the panic.  But I walked her through the process and she thought she could do it.  I told her I could do it for an extra charge and she didn't even ask how much so...  she knows my number.  :-)

I thought I would get my grandsons quilt done but got down to the end and don't have enough backing.  I feel this quilt was not meant to be.  I don't have any more fabric that matches.  I took it off the frame and quilted customer quilt.  I had two more new quilts dropped off today.  I am working on the binding for the one I quilted today.  This one and one other wants me to do binding, too.  I have never had anyone take me up on that before.  I will be busy for the next couple weeks but this will be the first month I will actually make enough to cover my expenses.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

Elizabeth, what a nice quilt!  I love the idea of writing with the longarm.  It's things like that that make the quilt even more memorable and special!  I think I'm gonna try that too!!

Zeba

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 10:01 PM | Locked

Granny M,

Funny this subject came up. I was talking about this just the other day. You're right about the directions of the machine and the bobbin. I've heard the same thing.  I have a large quilting area with my machine and I  buy pantos that take up a lot of space but are fairly dense and only go in the one direction (right to left). I didn't even know they made patterns that you could quilt backwards until a friend had me do one of her quilts and provided the panto. I was thinking, how in the world could I do this. But I found out it worked out fine and I could do the panto from left to right just as well as from right to left. Gave me a new outlook on looking for the pantos. You learn something new all the time.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 10:04 PM | Locked

Elizabeth,

That red just really pops in your quilt. What a wonderful quilt for your hubby and pup.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:32 AM | Locked

I had a frustrating day yesterday with Mabel.  I had quilted a tshirt quilt on Saturday with no problem.  Put another one on the frame yesterday and did the first row or two just fine and then the threads started breaking.  I did all the cleaning, change needle, check the thread path, tension.  I finally stopped and came back to it later.  I did three things and I'm not sure what fixed it but I took the thread all the way out and rethreaded, set the tension slightly looser, and put one of those thread nets over the thread.  I never knew what they were for and have never used one before but I thought the thread was jumping out of the first pigtail thingy and I think the net helped control it.  Whatever fixed it, I was able to do a couple more rows with no problem.  I will finish it up tonight. 

I was panicking a little as I have three more quilts that need to be done before I go to the MQS in a couple weeks.  I'm not used to having any issues with my machine and I hate it when something goes wrong.  But I was proud of myself for sticking it out and figuring it out.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:27 AM | Locked

Maybe its international longarm holiday weekend.  I changed the bobbin in my longarm and the tension just went screwy.  I have done everything including completely changing the thread, needle and bobbin and played with the tension on the top and bottom and its much better, but I can't continue until its perfect as I am quilting with green thread on a white backing and it eyelashes.  three days of messing with what was perfect a short time before. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 5:02 PM | Locked

OMG! Jeanine and Vivian,

I hope what you two have isn't contagious, I just finished a super queen and have a regular queen to do now!  Nice when things come together and awful nerve wracking when they don't.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 5:30 PM | Locked

Beautiful quilt Vivian.  It would go so well in my bedroom on my queen size bed.  Hint-hint LOL  Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 5:34 PM | Locked

Great quilting, Judy Lee.  I am almost afraid to go down and finish this quilt.  I think I have it back to normal.  I have my third tshirt quilt since Friday coming over.  Everyone must be getting them for graduation!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 6:16 PM | Locked

Judy Lee the quilt looks awsome.  And by the way, had to forward that joke you sent about the ...spine.LOL  Hysterical!!!  Looks like my move date may get pushed back a bit.  I really would like to get this move over and done with.  I hate being in limbo.  Still looking for a house near Chicago that is big enough for my needs....as we all know with the long arm it's a big ticket!!

Anyway, great job again Judy Lee!!

Page 124 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 122 123 124 125 126 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use