Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 123 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:48 AM | Locked

I know you can go both directions and I do even on my pantos.  I was just wondering if there was a preference or other considerations that need to be made for left handed quilters.  And maybe different machines are built differently.  I'll have to do some more research into this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:55 AM | Locked

I watched Cindy pin the quilt, that was a real Bear for her.  She purchased the Red Snapper System, as did I. Now we both have no pins to worry about. Cindy will probably read our posts and chime in before the day is over.  Right now there aren't any left handed machines with the threading all on the opposite side of the machine, maybe a good idea for manufacturers, LOL!

Judylee

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 114
Points 2,910
Cindy Stowe replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:02 AM | Locked

Judy & Jeanine,

I am a lefty. I just got my own longarm, a Queen Quilter 18, but have used other machines til I got mine. I learned to go both directions as you have to be able to go in all directions to accomplish the design that you're quilting. I start on the left, but when I get to the right, I just advance & start there on the right, as that's where I finished. I don't know, maybe I'm too lazy to take it back to the other end of the frame?? I see what some mean tho about following your path, it's a little easier to see to my right than my left, but you teach yourself to follow where your going rather than where you've been.

Cindy Stowe

Cindy Stowe

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 114
Points 2,910
Cindy Stowe replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:07 AM | Locked

You're right, Judy, pinning was NOT my strong point! Red Snappers are soooo much easier! Just getting them broke in to make them even more easier! Everything is new! Still fighting tension issue, but with diligence, I'll figure it out!

Cindy Stowe

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 114
Points 2,910
Cindy Stowe replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:10 AM | Locked

That's not a bad idea! When I was threading Queenie, I found it awkward to thread her. Maybe I'll try threading from other side of the frame will help me. Just getting started with my longarm & have LOTS to learn!!

Cindy Stowe

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:30 AM | Locked

So, one of my clients put the quilt I quilted for her in our local quilt show.  Theres my name right front and centre!! It isn't my best quilt but she sure liked it.  and when I got home, I had a phone message from another client saying how much she loved the quilt I did for her.  All in all, it was a great back-patting day. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:35 AM | Locked

Congrats,  Vivian,

Isn't it nice when others pat our backs for us!!!! Too old to reach mine anyway! LOL!!!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:38 AM | Locked

I'll say,  we always say it dosn't matter if anyone says thankyou but it really feels good when it happens.  I like the feedback from clients.  Preferably the ones who aren't my friends, they always like what we do, no matter if it is good bad or indifferent.  Gotta love friends but they are biased!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:49 AM | Locked

I am with you! It gives you the warm and fuzzies when the client cries over a cherished quilt or one for that special person.  I usually have my clients meet me at the LQS for the big reveal and share their reactions with my quilting friends.  Everyone enjoys it.

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 11:31 AM | Locked

Well thats a thought that terrifies me.  I don't even like to be there.   I send it and they can call me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 11:35 AM | Locked

Hi Ladies  Ya know actually when I do a panto I can go either way.  I write left handed but do most everything else with my right.  I also just kinda go back and forth and up and down when doing free motion, and generally go right to left with the panto but can do the other as well.  Wonder if it depends on the placement of the laser?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:38 PM | Locked

Snugglebug Quilter:
Wonder if it depends on the placement of the laser?

That's what we decided.  My friend's husband said he would figure out how to move the laser to the right side for her and I think that would help a lot.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 1:35 PM | Locked

I put my grandson's 1st Birthday quilt on the frame last night and started quilting.  Then I blew the ground at the outlet (this has happened a few other times) and had to reset it.  But when I did I forgot to set my stitch length so they were big and you could see the "eye lashes" around the curves.  I debated on keeping it or not as I'm sure  no one else will notice but I can't.  So I went to take a hot bath.  Tonight I will rip out that row and continue on.  Just a minor set back. 

I have another t-shirt quilt to do this weekend, too.  They need it for a graduation on May 5.  She expected the binding to be included and when I told her it wasn't you could see the panic.  But I walked her through the process and she thought she could do it.  I told her I could do it for an extra charge and she didn't even ask how much so...  she knows my number.  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 6:54 PM | Locked

Jeanine:
I was somewhat disappointed with the Fishy Feathers class.  It was a lot like the Hooked on Feathers idea.  Probably if we hadn't been talking about that, it would have been better.

I think you are right Jeanine.  I just got the Hooked Book and of course had to sit right down with pencil and paper.  I also got the Terry Twist patterns and the Hooked CD.    I just got a chance to watch the CD.  This pattern is in there and called a feather meander.  But at least you got hands on fun for a day.  I need to get some pictures posted of the quilts I have completed. Don't know what my hold up is, pictures just sitting in the camera.  Seems like there is just other things to do.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:00 PM | Locked

Jeanine:

Are there any left handed quilters out there? I have a friend that bought an abm innova or something close to that.  She is a lefty and was at the back doing a panto from left to right.  I thought that was backwards but I am right handed.  Do you need to make modifications for left hand?

I am left handed. I do the pantos from right to left but I don't really thinks it makes a difference.  BUT,  I did see somewhere that the machines run better going from left to right on the front, which I think would be right to left on the back.  Has to do with the smoothness of the bobbin unwinding.   Now that I have confused things as usual, I personally do not see a difference on which way I am going.

Granny M

Page 123 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use