rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee posted on Thu, Aug 4 2011 5:58 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I hope that  someone here will be able to help.

I am in need of some guidance and or ideas. About a year ago I purchased several yards of the Worthy Quotes and the Faith squares Multi from the Timeless Treasures/Wing and a Prayer Line with the grand idea of making a queen size quilt for my Aunt. Needless to say I bit of more than I could chew as this would only be the second quilt queen size I would have every made in my life. The first being just yardage with a repeating pattern.

I am now at a loss to figure out how to combine these two fabrics (they have been cut apart into individuals) to make a quilt.

Do you have and suggestions/recommendations for patterns that I might use in order to make a lap quilt or even the queen that someone with beginner/ advanced beginner quilting skill might be able to handle.

I have been sewing for 5 yrs (garments), quilts for Quilts for Kids and pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. for almost 2 yrsT

Thanks for your help

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

Hi Redhouse welcome. are they all the same size?

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

I wondering if you could use alternating solid squares of the burgundy and green between the squares you are already using.  It would set them off nicely.  I'm not an experienced quilter, I too am learning.  I did a couple dozen baby quilts but am working on full size quilts, one quilt as you go.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 6:41 PM

Quilting Mama,

I was trying hard not to purchase anymore fabric.  The fabric that goes with this line(now discontinued) is hard to find and expensive (to me anyway). 

I don't have a  quilt shop or fabric store near me so, it is difficult to go and try to find something to match.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am open to anything at this point as I am getting frustrated.

Renee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 6:43 PM

renee, what are the sizes of the blocks you have cut apart and which are what size?  

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 7:04 PM

The small multi colored blocks cut apart are approx 7-1/2 x 7-1/2

The large worthy quotes vary, the smallest being approx. 16" w x 14"L and the largest 16-5/8 w x 14-1/2 L

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I am not sure how many blocks you have of each so it's hard to figure how big the quilt will be or exactly the layout.  I would say you would want two more fabrics that would work with the purple and green to make it work well.

Here's my thought:  If you take two of the smaller squares and cut two "purple" fabrics, you can make a four patch block.  Then border this four-patch with  the "green" fabric to make an 18 1/2" block.  You may also want to make four patch blocks using "green" for the four patch and "purple" as the border.

For the larger blocks, I would border some with "green" and some with "purple" so that they measure 18 1/2" .  Now you have the same size blocks to arrange into a workable layout.

Does that make any sense?  You can add borders to make it the size you want.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 8:00 PM

Jeanine, 

Yes, I do understand what you are saying, I will base one together and see how it looks.

Thanks for the idea...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 1:16 AM

great idea jeanine. it's hard to picture with blocks of such different sizes

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use