Top 10 Posters

cutting tool on airplane

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 245
eliabel posted on Wed, Jul 27 2011 2:38 PM

I'm thinking of working on an applique piece on a 4 hour flight.  What kind of cutting tool can I take to cut my thread (other than my teeth) that is allowed on a plane? And are sewing needles allowed also? 

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 420

I just returned from a trip and was working on a cross stitch piece, I had a very small pair of scissors and my needle in my carry on - and no one ever said a thing.  

Good Luck!

Sewonforever

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 80
yaners replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:14 PM

According to the TSA site, you can bring, "Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches", either carry on or checked baggage.

Have a nice trip!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,681 Posts
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:19 PM

An empty floss container. 

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 417,079
gini replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 8:12 PM

are you traveling in the us?  some airlines outside the us will confiscate any sharp objects.  even knitting needles.  domestic flights let you carry little scissors,  i get the little cheap ones with the flowered handles.   i get my sewing bag out so they don't have to dig for it. 

richard, i usually have tons of pins and needles and no one has ever told me i could only have two.   i suppose some day they will bust me for that.  :  ) i won't be the first time i've been busted in line.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,825 Posts
Points 248,634
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:48 PM

Gini, I got busted in line one time for the underwire in my bra and metal in my boots.. I was really embarrased  when this happen..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 417,079
gini replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:53 PM

i haven't been embarrassed by them, but it sure is a hassle. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
85 Posts
Points 2,500

I get busted going through TSA every single time.  I have to go through special body pat downs and scans since I've had hip repaclement, back fusion, hand and elbow surgeries.  I'm blessed every day when I get o my sewing machine,  Traveling, I try to take crochet or simple needle work.  So far that's been the least problem,  but who knows what's next.  If I'm not mistaken you can take nail clippers now.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use