Page 1 of 7 (104 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 103 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta Posted: Wed, Jul 27 2011 12:51 AM

I am working on a quilt for my DH from the book published by House of White Birches.  The book is United States Quilt Block Collection.  I am hoping to have this complete for him by Christmas of this year, but that will all depend upon the help that I can get from my quilting friends on QCA.  I really want to give my husband something special this year for Christmas, he has spent the last two years taking care of me, pretty much every day, when he is home from work, he is driving me to appointments or to quilt shops (and handing me money).  You see I had two major surgeries last summer, one of them being highly unexpected brain surgery.  These have left me unable to drive and in constant pain, and on more medication than anyone should be.  When I decided to make him this quilt, he actually saw the book and fell in love with it.  He is also a huge history buff so this quilt is perfect for him.  I decided that I am going to put a sashing between the borders and either on the border or on the square I will use the embroidery machine to put the state name and outline on the block.  The outline of the state will also work as quilting.  Following is a picture of my SIL and DH trying to put together a kite to fly on my DH's birthday July 3rd.  Needless to say, he did not receive a birthday gift, father's day gift or anniversary gift this year, because I was unable to go get him anything and not working doesn't lend itself well to purchasing items.  I knew then that I wanted to do this quilt, but I was going to do it all in one color, but then a friend of mine out in New York, convinced me it would be much more special if I could try to do this.  So I'm giving it a go.  Thanks to any of you, who are willing to help me out.

I have been able to collect quite a bit of fabric from family, friends and other quilting friends on-line, and now after approving this with QCA Liz S. I am now asking for help from my QCA friends.  If you are interested in participating in helping with this quilt, please reply to me so that we can become friends.  I will need to e-mail you with the address to mail the fabric to.  I appreciate any help that I receive.

I have very few guidelines for the fabric:  Most blocks require 3 fabrics, some require up to 5, some only 2.  The fabrics are requested in shades, i.e. light, medium, dark.  The fabrics can be all the same color in different shades or in 3 different colors but 3 levels.  The only color NOT allowed is ABSOLUTELY NO PINK.  My DH hates pink in any way, shape or form!  LOL.  I have been telling everyone, if you can find fabric that is representative of the state, that is fabulous, or something that reminds you of the state, barring finding those things, get your favorite colors.  I can't wait to see all the different fabrics I will get! The final Guideline:   I would like the fabric to have been purchased in the state for which the block is to be made for, not ordered on-line.  If it's ordered on-line, I could have done it.

Following is a list of the States that I still need fabrics for: 

Alabama                          Alaska                        Arkansas                       California                  Connecticut

Delaware                        Georgia                       Idaho                               Indiana                       Kentucky

Louisiana                        Michigan                     Missouri                         Montana                    New Mexico

North Carolina                Ohio                            Oklahoma                       South Carolina         South Dakota

Utah                                  Virginia                       Washington, D.C.          West Virginia            Wyoming

Again, if you want to be a part of this project reply to this thread and I will send a friend request to you.  You must accept my friend request so that I can send you the mailing address to send the fabric to.  I will be posting pictures in my Gallery and also on my blog as I complete blocks.  I am going to try to complete blocks as I receive fabric.  Currently, I have 5 blocks ready to be sewn together, but have been ill the past couple of days, I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day!!  Again, Thanks for your participation in this if you can!!  I think it's going to turn out to be a phenomenal quilt, I can't wait to see it complete!

Thanks everyone - I know I get a little bit long winded, but I hope it all made sense!

Loretta Yerbich Aymond

One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 2:17 AM

Loretta, I'm in Missouri and would love to help you with fabric , Just let me know ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:50 AM

Loretta,

I live in Florida but I'm right next door to the Georgia border.  Less than 30 minutes to the closest quilt shop which is in Ga.   I would be delight  to secure you some fabric for that state.

Robin

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 8:53 AM

Washington state isn't on your list.  So do you need anything else?  I'd love to help. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,302
Points 414,089
gini replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:37 AM

i'll send idaho, what do you need? colors? amount?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 11:43 AM

I can do Ohio.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 2:55 PM

Patti:

Washington state isn't on your list.  So do you need anything else?  I'd love to help. 

Patti,

I am waiting to hear from a cousin to see if they have gathered the fabrics for Washington.  Thanks for the offer.  If I can think of something else I will let you know.

Loretta

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 3:10 PM

Loretta:

Alabama                          Alaska                        Arkansas                       California                  Connecticut

Delaware                        Georgia                       Idaho                               Indiana                       Kentucky

Louisiana                        Michigan                     Missouri                         Montana                    New Mexico

North Carolina                Ohio                            Oklahoma                       South Carolina         South Dakota

Utah                                  Virginia                       Washington, D.C.          West Virginia            Wyoming

Thanks ladies for participating in this project of mine.  I have updated the state list crossing off any other states that I have received pledges for.  I really hope to cross of all of the states if possible.  Thanks again for the help on this.  You have no idea how much this means to me!

Loretta

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 65

Loretta, if you still need it I can provide South Carolina, just let me know. Mary

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,032
Points 20,660
Carol W replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:13 PM

Hi Loretta!  My daughter and I are from Arkansas and would love to help.

Carol W. in Arkansas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Loretta, I have a friend who lives in N Carolina that I will see in three weeks.  If you still need something from N Carolina and are willing to wait, I will ask her to purchase the fabric and bring to me so I can get it to you.

My husband also had brain surgery in 2002 and we had special challenges for a long time.  We have been blessed and he has been able to return to work but there are still challenges today.  Hang in there.  This is a wonderful project you are putting together and your hubby will love it.

I will send a friend request so that you can let me know if you are interested in the NC fabric when I get it.

Best wishes.

Darlene (Western NY)

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 7:06 PM

Loretta,

From Michigan & would love to help you out with your project.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,490
LauraLyn replied on Wed, Jul 27 2011 9:02 PM

Lorretta - I'm going on an Alaskan cruise the beginning of September and will be stopping at a few quilt shops and would love to help out. We get back on September 13th and I can mail the material to you on the 14th. Will that be enough time?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Thu, Jul 28 2011 3:04 PM

Alabama                          Alaska                        Arkansas                                California -partial                 Connecticut

Delaware                        Georgia                       Idaho                                        Indiana                       Kentucky

Louisiana                        Michigan                     Missouri                                 Montana                    New Mexico

North Carolina                Ohio                            Oklahoma                              South Carolina         South Dakota

Utah                                  Virginia                       Washington, D.C. -partial   West Virginia            Wyoming

Wow - I am down to 14 states that need the complete set of fabrics and 2 that need partials.  Thanks again, everyone for your help with this.  Reminder to those of you that offered to help, if you haven't accepted my friend request I cannot send you the address to mail the fabric to, or the amounts of fabric.  If you don't know how to check your friends go to your Home, click on my friends, review my friend request and then click on the one with my name and click accept.  I hope these directions are helpful.  If not, please post a question in this thread and I will try to answer it.

Thanks Again,

Loretta

Page 1 of 7 (104 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use