Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615
Janice D. Green Posted: Tue, Jul 19 2011 8:21 AM

I have finished my picture book, The Creation, and am now ready to cut and assemble my creation Bible quilt t. I plan to use it when I get speaking engagements about my book and about making Bible quilts.

When I purchased the fabric I wanted for my sashing I had second thoughts and purchased two additional fabrics I might use instead. I am attaching a photo of the pieces laid out on my bed with the three sashing fabrics behind them. My first choice was the orangy colored fabric, but I became concerned that it might overpower the applique pieces, yet I want the honeycomb to stand out as it is basic to the theme of all my Bible quilts and my Bible storybook illustrations. beige piece is very lightweight so am not eager to use it for sashing, and it looks like the yellow piece will swallow half of the first applique picture.

The fabrics at the top are for the border.

I had originally thought to sew the hexagon pieces together adding the sashing as piping and flattening it out and sewing it down by hand. I was encouraged to cut the pieces out as sashing in the normal way instead. Either way, I fear it is going to be a bear to work out. I'm listening out for suggestions on how to do the sashing. I must get on it right away as my book will come out in about a month and I want to at least have the quilt top assembled by then.

Janice 

Bible Quilts, www.biblequilts.com

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

This is the computer-generated file of the quilt as I have planned it.

Janice 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 8:27 AM

i think your appliques stand out  really well on the orange, i like it best.   have you thought about a small orange sash around the blocks and then another background, like blue, to tie them together? the orange wouldn't take over that way.    you are right they are lost on the yellow, on the tan they look flat,  the orange makes them pop

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 8:28 AM

i missed the second picture, i like the orange sashes with the bluey background

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 8:41 AM

I go for the orange too.  With a background similar to you computer generated design.  Very nice.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

Thanks Gini and Patti! What do you think about piping vs. sashing for a technique to put the orange in place?

Janice 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 8:54 AM

I agree, the orange is the way to go.   All of the applique work just pops out with the orange and you definintely don't want to use the yellow because it does take away from that top applique.  And if the beige is thin, I wouldn't use it either, so the orange is a good choice.

Karla, Fernley, NV

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 9:21 AM

i think sash, piping wouldn't show quite enough orange

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

If I did piping it would still be 1" wide. I would cut the pieces 2 1/2" wide (instead of 1 1/2") and sew it into the same seam with the applique pieces. Then I would spread the piping to both sides from the seam and hand-stitch it down. The down side is that it would take a long time to do the hand stitching. Either way I have to allow extra fabric on the ends to make points that will connect at the corners. I've done very little quilting, so I really could use all the tips and suggestions I can get. I've done lots of sewing but little quilting.

Janice 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 10:15 AM

it would be way quicker to do sashing with set in seams at the corners, the effect would be the same.

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

Can you suggest a place where I can find directions to do this?

Janice 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:54 AM

i can't fine anything online exactly like i'm describing.   have you done set-in seams?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:58 AM

http://americanquiltermagazine.blogspot.com/2010/06/set-in-seams-heres-how.html

this shows what i'm talking about

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

Thanks Gini! I'm checking it out.

Janice 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,251
Points 172,988
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 4:42 PM

Janice, my thought is black sashing, it always pops the other colors, try it on your computer and see.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use