New quilter in Florida!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 160
beachbean Posted: Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:34 PM

Hi there, my name is Allison. I'm a single mom of 2 young daughters and I love to spend my free time traveling, knitting, crocheting and working on other craft projects. I was introduced to quilting and sewing by my grandmother many years ago and would liek to get back into it. Time to bring the sewing machine out of the closet and start crafty again!! Would love some beginner project ideas if anyone cares to share.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 1:29 PM

Start with something small...like a wall hanging or table runner.  Learn to measure accurately and consistently using a rotary cutter.  And make sure you can consistently sew 1/4" seams....those were (and sometimes continue to be) my biggest problems. 

Good Luck and have fun...it is really addicting.

Karla, Fernley, NV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 2:38 PM

Welcome Allison.  I suggest you go to sympoz.com and check out the Quilting Quickly with Jenny Doan.  Her teaching is so simple and strait forward and wish I had found her a long time ago.  In this series she teaches with pre cuts.  I'm doing her QQ ll now.

Also a good place to start is on QNNtvs Mary Fons Quilty I believe it's called.  She is teaching for the novice quilter.

If you prefer to do this on your own Karla's advice is key.  Good luck and enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 2:56 PM

hi allison, welcome to the group    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 4:07 PM

Welcome Allison.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to QCA Allison.  I am from Tampa, Fl. 

Margaret

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Welcome Allison

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:12 PM

Hi, Allison, Where in Florida are you? Im in Jacksonville. Welcome, and yes Jenny Doans, Quilting Quickly classes are the best . Im  doing QQ2 right now. I wish I new about her last year. It is addicting and costly but so much fun. Hope you enjoy all the wonderful people here at QCA. We will help you all we can. Susan

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 575

Welcome Allison! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005

Welcome Allison. I'm Bettie with a son living in Fl. Glad you are going to start quilting. You will find it a wonderful activity. My husband was asked when he said I was a quilter "Does she have a stash?" When my husband said YES the reply was "She's a quilter!" Anyway, it is good to have you on board. Let us know how you are doing. Bettie

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 160

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm in the Cocoa Beach area of Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 6:06 AM

Allison welcome to the club,  I agree with Marie about the" Quilting Quickly" progam by Jenny Doan,I to am doing the program and wish it had been around when I started last year, I have met Jenny and she is a great lady and makes working with fabric very simple. My advice is also start with small projects such as wall hangings  they are usually easy to do and it helps encourage you to keep going when you see how great they look on your walls.We also have some great groups you might check out ,there are several projects on going that are great for building your skill  and they are free to join. good luck and we look forward to seeing your work..  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Allison--

Welcome, it's nice to meet you.  There are lots of other Floridians here, and I'm a Florida transplant now living in Washington state.

Kissimmee, FL

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use