Difference between fabric cutting "systems"

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

I have the Accuquilt Studio and custom cut for customers--so remember, you have access to a Studio cutter---It's as close as your mailbox!  Put your fabric in the mail and let me do the rest!

Rose Hall

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

I have the Accuquilt Studio and custom cut for customers--so remember, you have access to a Studio cutter---It's as close as your mailbox!  Put your fabric in the mail and let me do the rest!

Rose Hall

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

sorry, double post--too much caffeine this morning...

Rose

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,358
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:20 AM

Thanks Kris, I didn't think of asking them.  I tried e-bay but couldn't find one.  I don't think the price is too high on the system it's just that I like getting a good deal.

If I take to applique, which I haven't tried as yet, I'll get the full sized GO,

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:51 AM

Marie:

Thanks Kris, I didn't think of asking them.  I tried e-bay but couldn't find one.  I don't think the price is too high on the system it's just that I like getting a good deal.

If I take to applique, which I haven't tried as yet, I'll get the full sized GO,

Just remember (since I have both now, and know what I can and can't do): 

• the GO system cuts shapes, which the AccuQuilt does not, BUT you have to buy the different dies, which is a cost factor. 
  • However, some of the die shapes can be done on the AccuQuilt - such as squares, triangles, etc. 
  • The "angular" dies of the GO that you can only do on the GO are the square/fringe dies for rag quilts, and of course there are the different shapes of the flowers, bears, sun bonnet Sues and Sams, stems, etc.  The "strip" dies come separately, and, although they are coming out with more, they only have a few right now that are specific sizes, and that is a cost factor. 
  • The AccuQuilt can cut ANY size strip in a zip, and it can cut down to a 1/4 inch difference with no added cost for a cutting mat, or separate dies.  The other plus about the AccuQuilt is that you can cut a YARD of material in different strips without waste, while with the GO system, the die blade is in the center of the die plate, and the extra material surrounding it gets cut off like dough around a cookie cutter.  Lots of waste.

I intend to use my AccuQuilt for strip cutting (which can cut fabric as you fold it in a bias strip, which the GO does not), and I also intend to commandeer my son's GO system for applique.  teehee!  ;D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:53 AM

Oh, I forgot (sorry) - but this week at the Rocky Mountain Sew Expo, they are selling the AccuQuilt at the vendor who is representing Marti Mitchell.  Maybe she sells them on her web site.  Also, this Expo is put out by "Red Barn" enterprises, and they travel around the country.  You can find out if they will be near you, or you can email Marti's site and ask if they are traveling around with a show near you.  They do offer better deals than online or in a store.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,358
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 10:08 AM

I think my mind is made up for the Altos Quilt Cut 2, just a matter of when.  The Go is a maybe depending on weather I take to applique or not.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 10:17 AM

(gosh, I started this thing and now I am all messed up)  I mentioned the AccuQuilt is what I use for STRIP CUTTING -- NO NO NO - the QUILT CUT - ALTO's MACHINE - is what I used!

PLEASE ERASE WHERE I PUT "ACCUQUILT" - as that is supposed to be ALTO'S - and replace it with ALTO'S - when I say "GO" I mean it is the ACCUQUILT GO, I am so sorry! (haven't had my coffee this morning......)  so sorry for the confusion - I am going now - far away - and won't post for awhile - not with how my mind is working right now - gulp........ [sheepishly hangs head and runs to a corner]

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

I just purchased the Alto fabric cutting system.  What a difference than cutting from templates.  The accuracy is wonderful.  Just takes some time learning to use it especially when doing triangles.  It was well worth the money.  PK

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,358
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 11:42 AM

Bella you are too funny!  No need to feel badly I assumed you meant the Alto anyway and I'm sure the others figured that out as well.  Don't go too far away we'll miss you.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,358
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 11:45 AM

Pat, keep talking, I'm getting closer and closer to making that purchase.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:16 PM

Marie:

Bella you are too funny!  No need to feel badly I assumed you meant the Alto anyway and I'm sure the others figured that out as well.  Don't go too far away we'll miss you.

[still in corner....just watching...WAIT - I have to say what I am working on.... but will "they" be upset I am not in "the right post"?  ... ok -  will go to "right post" section, and will keep watch on this one, as it is fun!.....]

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 6:52 PM

bella, go up to your post and in the upper right hand corner you will have an option for reply, or more.   click on more and you will get several options.  one is edit,  click on that.   it will show your post.   click on your entire post to highlight it and type in delete.   go to the bottom left and it either says post or save.  click on that and it will change  your post to say delete

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Nepe replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 4:09 PM

Hi all, I've had the Go! for a couple of years now. The teeth on the gears attached to the handle have broken off twice now. The first time I forget how many layers I tried to cut, the second time after reading the instructions, (that said up to 6 layers) I tried 6 and half way through I heard SNAP and it happened again. I recommend no more than 4 layers.

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 46,580

I had a friend who had the Altos and when she had to move into an assisted living home she gave it to me. I had never seen or heard of it. I have watched the videos, but I mostly use it for strips and squares. I get nervous thinking about sewing all those tiny pieces. I love it for strips and find it has helped my accuracy a lot. I used the mat to trim all my HSTs for MQ9. I leave it on my cutting table all the time and do most of my cutting on it. I do have larger mats that I use for squaring up a quilt after quilting and large things that won't fold and fit into the Altos very well, I think it is worth the price, but will admit I wouldn't have bought one unless I had seen it in use. I didn't get any directions with mine and had to go online to find out what I had, LOL. I don't really have an opinion on the Go as I have never tried it and it is too expensive for me right now even if I desperately wanted one.

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use