making sure material doesn't slip while cutting

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Elsiemae Posted: Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:39 PM

I lay a 10 lb weight on top of my ruler to keep my materal from shifting while cutting with a rotary cutter.

It really works great

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 905
Points 16,770

Great idea!  I will definitely try this one!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 5:47 PM

The Quilt Daddy:

Might I suggest an easy way to keep fabric from slipping under the ruler. I purchase sandpaper dots at my local QS or hardware store and attach them to the underside of the rulers I use. Basically it does the same without the additional weight.

I do this also, but may I suggest that when you do this place the dots as close to the edges of your ruler as you can? That way the ruler doesn't slide if you are using it for tiny pieces. I generally will put 3-4 of the little dots on each side of the ruler.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 1:51 PM

one site i was at suggested putting a finger (or the edge of your hand) on the cloth and your fingers on the ruller.  I find this works well for me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:57 PM

It's not the cloth that slips for me - it's the ruler which I guess you all are getting at with the sandpaper solution.  I found a clear plastic vinyl to put on the bottom of my rulers that really grips nicely and doesn't obstruct the lines.  You can find it from many sources, including Jo-Ann's.  I first saw it on Leah Day's FMQ site:  http://www.daystyledesigns.com/invisigrip.htm

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,831
Points 366,107
Kris replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:35 PM

I've tried invisigrip but the ruler still slides. I found some clear velcro dots at Target that work really well. I put them on my Marti Michell templates.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 8:59 PM

this is why i'm slowly switching over to creative grids rulers.   my old ones have little pieces of masking tape on them to help hold

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 6:24 AM

gini:
i'm slowly switching over to creative grids rulers.

That kind of makes me laugh, Gini.  When I dropped in to my lqs on Sunday  ,they had a creative grid ruler that had the little sandpaper dots on it.   Maybe they use it so much that the gripper effect had worn down.  But I didn't take time to ask.....Ginny  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 2,645

I love the lip-edge rulers. I have 3,   18 inch, 24, and 36.  As long as I put  my hand  & weight near where I am cutting  it never moves.Great for cutting strips. Also to be sure strips are straight I use one for width , side by side. The one on right for width, the one on left for cutting [on the right side of]. When using the 36 inch one on the big cutting table I use a binder clip to hold down the opposite end. can still  lift lip edge to move material .Also keep a binder clip  to the left of the lip edge. It works great, nothing moves, and cutting strips is fast and accurate.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Elsiemae replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:16 PM

I don't have to buy anything, not sandpaper or dots, just use 10 lb weight I never use. That is why I like it so much plus it really is simple and it works great.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 90

Me too! Aren't the Creative Grids

gini:

this is why i'm slowly switching over to creative grids rulers.   my old ones have little pieces of masking tape on them to help hold

gini:

a great ruler? A friend loaned me hers at a quilt retreat and I was instantly in love with them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 32,010
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:09 PM

I just returned from a retreat where Pat Speth was one of the national teachers. She has a great solution for ruler slippage and it's cheap and it works!

http://nickelquilts.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/little-blue-dude/

Basically, you use shelf liner between your ruler and the fabric. NO SHIFTING AT ALL! You have to retrain yourself on placing the ruler but it works wonderfully.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,578
Points 47,535

I've tried the sand paper dots, steady betty pieces (worthless) and I'm sold on the Invisigrip.  I find it holds the ruler in place better than anything else.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,208
Points 16,210
Susan replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:44 PM

I have switched over to creative grids rulers, too. I love them!!!         Susan

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use