cutting sash around a block?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 645
sassypixie posted on Sun, Jun 26 2011 1:36 PM

my question is I have 16 inch block with five and half sgures to make this blook and I want to add frame like or sash around the block to meet with next block in row of three what cutting length of the strips around the block 16 and and half? or what

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Verified by sassypixie

Is the block 16" unfinished (before you sew on the sasing)?  If so, you will cut you sashing strips 16" (the same as the block) that will go between the blocks.  For the top and bottom, you can either cut strips that are the length of your entire row to sew between the rows or use sashing blocks to offset the sashing.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Verified by sassypixie

Is the block 16" unfinished (before you sew on the sasing)?  If so, you will cut you sashing strips 16" (the same as the block) that will go between the blocks.  For the top and bottom, you can either cut strips that are the length of your entire row to sew between the rows or use sashing blocks to offset the sashing.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Sorry, I sent my post accidentally before I was finished.

This site shows what I was talking about.

http://www.sewinspiredblog.com/2010/01/simple-squares-sashing-cornerstone.html

This site shows an alternative way to do sashing.

http://blog.maryquilts.com/2011/03/24/sashing-quilts/

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 645

thanks makes sense to me

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 645

I goofed somehow on the quilt sash I was making it didnot do for first block it did not look right but it sure was help to go back here  look at the instruction  and I realize WHAT I NEED TO TO TO GET just I have cat in my lap to help with my type  she is not allow on lap when when Iam sewing but Iam not doing that now so here she on my lap so this make it diffcult to type she is the lady of the house

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use