Top 10 Posters

How would you clean this quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura posted on Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:00 PM

A friend was given a beautiful hand made quilt, top and bottom cotton, but filled with 2 layers of combed sheeps wool. She wants to clean it but is at a total loss on what to do. From what I understand the quilt is quilted with lots of large spaces (her words). Any fabulous suggestions for her??

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,261 Posts
Points 254,154
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:07 PM

Wool ,I'd have dry cleaned ,I think , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Laura, I have heard that you get them dry cleaned.  I remember once on an HGTV article I read that you could hand wash it and line dry it but I think dry cleaning might be the best.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

you could hand wash it, just like a sweater and she may have to depending on the age and stability of the fabric.  You don't mention if it is a new quilt or old.  She could soak it in the tub with a delicate soap no rubbing just a "press/swish" drain the tub and leave it until as much of the water has drained as possible rinse the same, when it is clean and rinsed drain the tub again and roll in into a sheet, lift it out of the tub wrapped in the sheet to eleiminate the stress on the fabric and lay it out in the shade to dry.  If it is a new quilt or she thinks it is fabric is stable it could be drycleaned.  It's hard to say without seeing the quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Laura,

I have several very old quilts that I had to clean and after a lot of research, here is what I found out and what works for me.

Please don't dry clean any quilt EVER ! They use chemicals in the cleaning process that can degrade all types of fabrics from cotton to wool. 

I agree with Vivian, wash in cold water in the bath tub with very mild quilt soap, not Woolite.

Do not use hot water on wool or you will felt the wool

Use the hand pressing to push the water and soap through the quilt.  Rinse the same way. When removing the Qullt from the tub roll it onto a sheet and use the sheet to lift it from the tub that way no stress or weight is placed directly on the quilt.  Air dry!  I usually put the quilt on my patio table to dry.

Hope this is helpful,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, Jun 25 2011 3:28 PM

Very helpful advice! Thanks very much. It is not a really old quilt, I think it's about 5 years old, but I think the tub soaking thing is the best bet for sure.  Why could you not use Woolite??

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Laura,

Woolite isn't quite as gentle as you would think.  Quilt Soap is even more gentle especially for the old quilts and anything wool.

Judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,261 Posts
Points 254,154

Judy, thanks for the info, guess I didn't think about the chemicals, I was just thinking about the wool.I was always told ti never wash wool always have it dry cleaned. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 995

I have a crazy quilt that my grandmother made with a date of 1914 on it.  It has a mixture of material including wool.  I wash it in the bath tub in a "quilt approved" mild soap.  Then hang to dry.  It is time consuming but it keeps my, almost 100 year old, heirloom nice.

Susan Larson

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use