rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 105
Cynthia Posted: Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:56 PM

Hi there,

I am a new member - happy to be a part of this quilting community! I've just picked up my quilting again after about a six year hiatus, and I am so excited to be working with my fabric and sewing machine again.  A question - my father-in-law, bless his heart, wants to build me an old style quilt frame that I can use to hand quilt with.  He remembers what his mom's used to look like, but it doesn't exist anymore.  We are wondering if one that is large enough for a queen-sized quilt will be able to keep the quilt taught enough when quilting. Has anyone had any luck building their own frame?  I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give me.

Thanks!

Cynthia

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:38 PM

My DH built me one just like his Grandmother's - it was great - you can now get the instructions for frames and the stuff needed for the ends of the rails to make them taught - I am pretty sure I have seen these in the back of different magazines... my DH made mine from scratch and his memory - it ws great.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 9:14 PM

Welcome to QCA, Cynthia!  I hope you'll continue to share the story of how the frame progresses and what quilts you make with it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 9:18 PM

My neighbor has a wonderful quilt frame her husband made for her.  What I like most about it is that it hangs from the ceiling on pullies and she can raise it completely out of the way when she is not working on it.  It is ajustable to expose whatever part of the quilt she is working on, whatever height she wants.  She can work on it from whatever side she wants, or several people can work on the quilt at the same time.

If anyone is interested, I could get pictures and ask for the design.

Patti 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to QCA forums, Cynthia! What a great FIL you have!

Patti, I don't want to build a frame, but I'd certainly be interested in seeing your neighbor's.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Cynthia:

Hi there,

I am a new member - happy to be a part of this quilting community! I've just picked up my quilting again after about a six year hiatus, and I am so excited to be working with my fabric and sewing machine again.  A question - my father-in-law, bless his heart, wants to build me an old style quilt frame that I can use to hand quilt with.  He remembers what his mom's used to look like, but it doesn't exist anymore.  We are wondering if one that is large enough for a queen-sized quilt will be able to keep the quilt taught enough when quilting. Has anyone had any luck building their own frame?  I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give me.

Thanks!

Cynthia 

Cynthia,

I found a few links. I don't know anything about them but you could go and take a look and see if this is what you are looking for.

Sew A Quilt

Homade Quilt Frame

Hope one of these will help. Good luck with your search.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 3:24 AM

Patti:

My neighbor has a wonderful quilt frame her husband made for her.  What I like most about it is that it hangs from the ceiling on pullies and she can raise it completely out of the way when she is not working on it.  It is ajustable to expose whatever part of the quilt she is working on, whatever height she wants.  She can work on it from whatever side she wants, or several people can work on the quilt at the same time.

Patti 

Patty - this is the kind that my DH made for me - his Grandmother lived in a small house and the frame was pulled up to the ceiling over the kitchen table - during the day she would have it down so when she worked on the quilt - when it came time for the family to come home and dinner preparations made she would pull it up and wahlah the table was free for dinner... it was amazing...

I was told that a lot of the homes in her area had frames like this... i didn't see them just his Grandmothers and it amazed me...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I found another one. I looked at this one yesterday but when I went to post I could not find it.  This is an antique hanging frame.

Hanging Quilt Frame

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:49 PM

Joe Cunningham (www.joethequilter.com) has a great DVD called "Basting and Quilting in an Old Fashioned Frame"--on it are:

1-How to make an inexpensive quilting and basting frame from simple materials (I love mine)

2-How to baste

3-How to quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 105
Cynthia replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 2:18 PM

Hi there, thanks for the reply; just wanted to mention I am also on the Mississippi River - although not quite overlooking it - about a mile away from it, a few hundred miles south of you in western Illinois! Cynthia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 105
Cynthia replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 2:28 PM

HI there - thanks for these links - i will try the HGTV plan from the Sew a Quilt site I think. Thanks again !!!

Cynthia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

Yes I to had one once but was stolen.I'm very interested to have another built. Please if any one has directions. Please email me. Thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Patti and Thea, your frames sound just like the one my grandmother had hanging from her dining room ceiling.  Unfortunately, I never got to see her quilt on it.  I lived out of town and when we visited it was always pulled up and all you could see was the bottom of the quilt. 

Jane

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Patti:

Patti 

I'd love it if you could get pics and design. We are thinking of downsizing and I not hv room for my long arm frame and oversized king hand quilting frame. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
allbright1 replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:08 AM

Patti,

I am trying to find the design for a quilting frame just like you described. My grandmother had one like that and I am trying to build one for my mother and I to use while she still can. Would you mind asking if you could have a copy of the plans or design? I would be willing to pay for the plans if necessary. Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Mary

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use