Top 10 Posters

Paper for paper-piecing

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posted: Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:13 PM

I have been paper-piecing for many years and have tried all different types of paper from regular copy machine paper  to freezer paper and even tracing paper. I finally have come up with what is the solution for me. I use onion skin paper which was used for typing copy ages ago when we used typewriters. Typewriters? The paper is strong, it prints well and is very manageable. But I don't use what is being sold today. That is too expensive. I bought 500count boxes of it at a yard sale when an office supply store was cleaning out their storage area. The paper prints beautifully. It is a little tricky to print at least on my printer. Because it is so thin the roller does not readily accept it so I place about a half inch of regular paper in the well and lay one sheet on top. I do not have any problem then with the printing. When you print, make sure as I said under my poinsettia quilt, that you check out page scaling and then check NONE.

Check out any local mom-and-pop printing supply store and I bet they will be happy to clean out their shelves. I paid 50 cents a box of 500 sheets and I bought them all.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Typewriter --- what the heck is that???? :o)   I haven't seen onion skin paper in years but I know what you are talking about. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 230
rockeeann replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:11 AM

Thank you for the suggestion of onion paper.  I learned to type on one of those "new" electric ones.  It had an auto return button.  Ooooooo.  But I kept trying to use the manual return lever that was no longer there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 9:10 AM

Is vellum the same as onion skin?  That's what I use.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 9:47 AM

Nancy

Vellum is very similar to onion skin.  If anything though onion skin is thinner.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,945
weezee56 replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 9:21 PM

Onion skin sounds very thin. I'm afraid of paper piecing. I haven't tried it yet, maybe someday.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:13 AM

I love paper piecing. I have never tried Onionskin however. I might have to try it out.  I currently use plain old copy paper - the cheaper the better. When I go to remove the pieces, I use a damp Qtip and run it down the stitch line. The paper under the stitches becomes very soft and the paper almost falls away. 

weezee56 - don't be afraid. It is really fun. I am currently doing a BOM that requires odd size templates and I am too cheap to purchase them (I also do not like using templates). I put the blocks in EQ and print out the PP templates. Voila - perfect blocks all the correct size!

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:19 AM

eparys:
When I go to remove the pieces, I use a damp Qtip and run it down the stitch line. The paper under the stitches becomes very soft and the paper almost falls away. 

Now that's a good tip!  You should send that in to the magazines.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 725

I have bought Carol Doak's foundation paper and found this to be wonderful but expensive. I checked on-line for onion paper and found a company that sells a pack of 500 for $24.95. When I compare to what I pay for the foundation paper this is cheap. I wish I could find some like you did. The on-line store is www.thepapermillstore.com. I think I may try this. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
mjborden replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:38 PM

Old phone books work great for paper piecing.  Cut to copy paper size or close to it and run through your copier.  It peels off VERY easily.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

eparys:
don't be afraid. It is really fun. I am currently doing a BOM that requires odd size templates and I am too cheap to purchase them (I also do not like using templates). I put the blocks in EQ and print out the PP templates. Voila - perfect blocks all the correct size!

I do the same thing with my EQ. I just learned to paper piece and it is much easier than I thought it would be. I have a ball with it too. I really don't have a problem with plain old printer paper. Some times I use the other side of things I've printed and don't need any longer. I have a little problem with the backside making the fabric a little dirty.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Sat, Oct 12 2013 4:01 PM

Maybe someone gave this tip already for paper piecing.  I use copy paper from my printer. Before sewing I fold the paper on all the lines and run my finger on the edge. This weakens the paper and makes it easier to remove. With the crease you can also see the pattern from the wrong side.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use