How do I Make a 3 - 7/8 Square

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930
MaryLouise55 Posted: Tue, May 31 2011 4:23 PM

I need  to make some 3 - 7/8 square. I have a Omnigrid ruler that is 3" wide and 8" long. I cannot figure out where the 7/8 mark is. Can I just make 4" x 4" squares instead. I need to cut them into half  square triangles, so can just cut off the tips off them after I sew the HST's together.

Thanks,

Mary Louise

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,709
gini replied on Tue, May 31 2011 4:27 PM

marylouise, it depends on your pattern.   3 7/8ths is halfway between 3 3/4ths and 4.  if you have the finished size of the half square triangles you can cut them at 4 inches and trim them to the right size, but just cutting the tips off won't work    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, May 31 2011 5:00 PM

Mary Louise--If you are doing lots of the same two color combos of half square triangles, you can easily stitch them using foundation papers.  Free templates and instructions can be found at quiltingandwhatnot.com

Pat-"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,959
Barbara replied on Tue, May 31 2011 5:13 PM

Mary Louise, I hope you know where the quarter marks on the ruler are,  ,Well  the next shortest line on the ruler is the  1/8  mark. between each inch there are eight of these  1\8 lines .just count them till you get to the seventh one you count between each inch  ..I hope that helps.. I had to have my late hubby explain it to me ..Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,341
Points 17,940
Susan replied on Tue, May 31 2011 5:41 PM

Barbara, That is a great answer!!! Susan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Man - I think I would cheat and just make them 4 inches to save all the hassle.  :o) 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,959
Barbara replied on Tue, May 31 2011 11:13 PM

Thanks Susan, It took me forever to get that .He must have told me seveal times how to do that .finally one day he just sat me down and made me count it out over and over till I finally got it ,now I have no problems figuring it out...funny how you can forget those measurments over the years when you don't use them everyday ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,545
Points 31,370
Diana replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 5:40 AM

Guess I'll add my 2 cents.  I always cut squares to the nearest full or half inch measurement.  If you need 3 inch finished half-squares, I cut 4", sew on either side of diagonal line, cut, press and square it up to 3 1/2".  When you sew it into a block, it will finish at 3 inches.    I know where the 7/8 inch mark is, just don't want to deal with it since sometimes my sewing may not be super exact.  At least that bit of extra gives me a little "fudge-factor". I'd rather trim a tiny sliver than unsew and resew, especially on bias edges...yuck

Diana in East Tn.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,004
Points 12,890

great tip on cutting 1/8, 3/8, 5/8 and 7/8 squares to make half or quarter triangles... use painters tape and lay a piece across the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full inch PAST the 1/8 inch mark you need. Now the painters tape will keep you from going past the line and you can clearly see the edge of the fabric under the ruler.

The cutting of the next higher full inch is ok I guess, but if you get use to that you might have an issue along the way when precise cutting is necessary. I am a math #'s person, sew it is easy for me to do that, however now with my eyes sight so bad the tape helps keep me where I want to be.

Accurate cutting makes for easy sewing, I hate to unsew, especially on the bias sides.

Carylanne

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,277
Points 35,265
Granny M replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:37 AM

I am like Diana,  I use the 4 in put two together asnd sew down either side of a diangle line  I have two squares made.  I then shape up with a square up ruler.   Plus I can use the chain sewing with this method.  Goes a lot faster

Granny M

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.