Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni Posted: Mon, May 30 2011 8:58 AM

My heart goes out to all who have lost a love one in the service of the USA!  Aslo my deep felt thanks to all who have served this great country America, in the past ,now and in the future!  Thank You for gving up so much to keep us all free.

God's Blessings on each and every member of the armed services of the USA!

• | Post Points: 20
replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:17 AM
Joni, after reading your post I just had to add a post I made on my fb page yesterday.
Tomorrow we will celebrate Memorial Day/Decoration Day. When I was growing up it was known only as Decoration Day, a day that the family gathered in Vine Street cemetery and decorated all the graves of family members and particularly those who had served their country during past wars. After placing flowers on the graves we would go back to Aunt Jess's home for a big picnic supper. Everyone got to reminisce about 'old times'. Thank God I listened carefully and can remember many of those family chats. Oh yes, and the funniest thing of all was that when we were at the cemetery the children were always cautioned not to step on the graves! How can anyone walk through a cemetery and not step on a grave!!! The photo is at Vine Street Cemetery and taken in 1940. I am the only one pictured that is still alive.

Please ignore all this other gooble-de-gook following. I don't know how to get rid of it.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Memorial Day/Decoration Day. When I was growing up it was known only as Decoration Day, a day that the family gathered in Vine Street cemetery and decorated all the graves of family members and particularly those who had served their country during past wars. After placing flowers on the graves we would go back to Aunt Jess's home for a big picnic supper. Everyone got to reminisce about 'old times'. Thank God I listened carefully and can remember many of those family chats. Oh yes, and the funniest thing of all was that when we were at the cemetery the children were always cautioned not to step on the graves! How can anyone walk through a cemetery and not step on a grave!!! The photo is at Vine Street Cemetery and taken in 1940. I am the only one pictured that is still alive.

replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:19 AM

I didn't know the message would print twice. My mistake.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:40 AM

Joan, thank you for sharing your family memory with us ,it was very good. I don't have any family that pass  in any of the wars,but every Memorial Day ,I still go to  The National Cemtery in Levenworth ,Kansas to pay my respects. it is an amazing place and I have such a feeling of peace when I leave there...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 122
Points 2,583

I just got back from a visit to my hometown, Norfolk, VA.  Growing up in a Navy town was like having Memorial day all year long, only the military men and women were Fathers and Mothers to my friends and neighbors.  They were special everyday!I have recently been reading many books about WWII and realize just how special those brave men and women truely were.  I now need to read a book written by an Army Chaplin who served with my brother during the Vietman War.  My brother will not talk about his nightmares, only the comradery with his fellow solders.  The book is "IT Took Heroes" by Claude Newby.  I hope I can get through it.

Alice, Roanoke, VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Today we went to Wyomia Tyus Olympic Park here in Griffin where a traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall has been on display since Friday.  It was very moving seeing all of the names of the men and women who gave their lives.  Had a very enjoyable conversation with a retired Army Major who was looking for a buddies name on the wall.  It took a young ROTC volunteer helping us to find it.  Dave volunteered on Friday as one of the people who looked up names in the computer to tell people which panel they could be found on.  If the wall ever comes to a place near you, I recommend a visit. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use