Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930
MaryLouise55 Posted: Sun, May 29 2011 9:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

I need a quilt pattern for a king size quilt that is nice for my sister and brother-in-law.

I can only have these colors in it: 

Reds, blues, black, white, gold, burgundy, brown, beige, and tan. 

The fabric cannot have any flowers on it, or the colors yellow, pink, and purple (my brother-in-law says these are not manly).

Have any idea!

Have a great day,

Mary Louise

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Sun, May 29 2011 9:22 AM

shop for a new brother-in-law?  :  )    seriously, there are a ton of patterns you can use.  are you using all the colors or can you just use a few of them  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 930

gini,

Yes they what all these colors in the quilt. I was thinking maybe doing in a monkey wrench block that has a nine patch block in the center. My problem is, I am not sure how to combine all these colors into a design.

Mary Louise

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 170
Marsha replied on Sun, May 29 2011 9:42 AM

I have used "MORE MANLY" fabric by the designer Holly Taylor by moda.  Don't know if that helps you at all.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,075
Cathie replied on Sun, May 29 2011 10:00 AM

What about lover's knot? I made a king size for a wedding gift using differant shades blue.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

MaryLouise55:

I need a quilt pattern for a king size quilt that is nice for my sister and brother-in-law.

Reds, blues, black, white, gold, burgundy, brown, beige, and tan. 

The fabric cannot have any flowers on it, or the colors yellow, pink, and purple (my brother-in-law says these are not manly).

Check out The Underground Railroad pattern by Eleanor Burns. You can easily use all those colors. Plus, it's a fun quilt to make if you like variety in your quilt. Now, this was my first pieced quilt and I had no idea of how to use colors. The quilt is relegated to our RV. But I'm including the photo so Mary Louise can see the pattern.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 179
Points 3,245

Oh well, it depends on their style in their home, however, I think that I would find 4 or so different block patterns and do them in different colors and put them together either randomly or in some kind of pattern.  I am thinking of another pattern in my head, I will see if I took a picture of it on my phone and upload the picture. I think that the gold is an interesting color in the mix, but that is because it is not a color I normally work with..ah, but yellow is a manly color, I completely disagree with him. Oh the picture I am thinking of is on my old broken phone but it is off a pattern of small rectangles about 4 inches by 2 that have been put in a design that repeats through the quilt.  You could do anything repetitious with a quilt that size and pull it off.  Sorry that that may make no sense.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Sun, May 29 2011 12:05 PM

a scrappy double irish chain, would be pretty in these colors.  you could even make each chain one color  or make the center chain one color and the outside chains scrappy.  

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Sun, May 29 2011 12:21 PM

Mary Louise,

Are the colors you can have did he pick out?

Reason I'm asking is because if they are tell him fine we can't have Red , Burgundy or Gold in the quilt either than. When he ask you why tell him they are in the YELLOW and Pink Family. LOL.

I shut my brother-in-law up one time when he tried to pull that one on me. He had picked out a pattern he liked .It was an Applique.  It was a beautiful pattern but in the background there was just a tiny little rose. He couldn't see it till I enlarged the pattern about 200 times. When I did I told him I refuse to do that pattern for him. After that he looked at my sister and gave in 50-50. She got a few tiny flowers on her quilt and she also got some pink and yellow.  Only thing is I snuck a little purple in also in the flowers. Not bright purple but lavender . LOL.

So instead of using flowers try a Batik . Is your sister near you where she could go with you to help pick out some of the fabric?

Can you tell I don't fight fair when it comes to bossy men.

Quilty Hugs,

Ann in Indiana

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 10:07 PM

You could do the irish chain as suggested, around the world, bargello maybe even with the one color that is most unlikethe others as backing lol. Or do the old stand by of log cabin lol if worse comes to worse.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,925
Angele replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:24 PM

you could do some log cabin with shades of these colors if they prefer a more traditional quilt or you could do big center blocks and alternating smaller strips around in different widths..  Actually any pattern you can adapt to a king quilt.  The sky id the limit...

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

All of those colors would work well in a Jacob's Ladder or Buckeye Beauty.  Both of those use the same units, just set slightly differently.  A simple Rail Fence would be striking....easy and quick. too!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use