Top 10 Posters

How do you remove sticky residue on fabric from "applique bonding" stuff (like steam a seam, or wonder bond)?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd posted on Mon, May 23 2011 10:36 PM

Boy, did I pull a doozy! I helped my daughter in her efforts to do a baby quilt for someone, and I suggested to embroider a saying on a quilt label.  SO - with the label made, I decided to stick it on the back of the quilt like you would for applique, then it would stay in place for the hand stitching.  Well, it looked awful, AND I found out I put it at the TOP of the quilt back instead of the BOTTOM.  This label is big, something like 5X8, and it made that part look like a big square stiff thing was pushing through, so I pulled it off.  NOW I have that residue on the fabric~  HELP!  I know there is a kind of canned dry cleaner chemical thing I can get at the grocery store, BUT the batting is wool, and I don't want to get that in touch with anything that would make me sorrier than I am.  This stuff is not really steam a seam, as it is lighter, and very thin.  It looks like a light cellophane, and it also resembles the residue from tape left behind.

Any suggestions?  Thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,639
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, May 23 2011 11:12 PM
Verified by abcd

bella, i have no idea,  if you have some of the fabric left, you can affix some more of the adhesive stuff to the leftovers and experiment with different ways to get it off   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,381 Posts
Points 360,847
Answered (Verified) Kris replied on Mon, May 23 2011 11:24 PM
Verified by abcd

1. Use a citrus based cleaner like "De-solv-it" or "Citrasolv" 

or

2. Rubbing alcohol and a brush.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,639
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, May 23 2011 11:12 PM
Verified by abcd

bella, i have no idea,  if you have some of the fabric left, you can affix some more of the adhesive stuff to the leftovers and experiment with different ways to get it off   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,381 Posts
Points 360,847
Answered (Verified) Kris replied on Mon, May 23 2011 11:24 PM
Verified by abcd

1. Use a citrus based cleaner like "De-solv-it" or "Citrasolv" 

or

2. Rubbing alcohol and a brush.

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:58 PM

Thanks, Gini and Kris - I tried your suggestions and they are working!  I also tried a suggestion I got from someone that is also working that I will share with you:  a good ERASER - like a gum eraser and the poly erasers.  I bought a couple this morning, and they did a lot of work, and I am in the process of using the rubbing alcohol, which is also getting rid of left over residue.  Thanks sew much again, and happy quilting to you ~  :D

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,381 Posts
Points 360,847
Kris replied on Tue, May 24 2011 9:43 PM

You're welcome Bella. Glad it's working out.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use