Top 10 Posters

Problems with Embroidery

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon posted on Tue, May 17 2011 3:04 PM

I'm fairly new to embroidery but have not had any problems with puckering until now. The machine is a Brother SE-400, used cotton fabric with stabelizer underneath. I thought the puckering would press out with the iron but that did not work. I'm thinking of adding some thin batting underneath and another fabric similar to a quilt. Then sew around the outside of the designs, they are 4 inch paisleys. This is going to be a round doily for a table.

Another question is about the design files. There are 10 .pes paisley designs to choose from, half of them did not work. I transfered them from my computer to a flash drive, then to my laptop. The designs seam to transfer to the sewing machine ok and they show up on the laptop that they have transfered to the sewing machine. When looking at the digital screen on the sewing maching, no pictures show up but the memory total shows they are there.

I have already contacted the company where the designs were purchased, they sent me another link to download them again. The second group did exactely the same thing. I sent them another email telling them the second group did not work either. Have not heard back from them yet.

Does this sound like a problem with the digital files or am I doing something wrong?

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Tue, May 17 2011 3:08 PM

Sharon

Usually when I have problems with the files it is because they didn't unzip for some reason.  Don't know what else to tell you.  I have also found that if I use a water soluble stabilizer on the top as well as the stabalizer on the back that I have less puckering.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,636 Posts
Points 140,668

Sharon,

Sometimes designs are so heavily digitized that it causes puckering from all of the thread build up. In these cases my dealer recommended to use two layers of stabilizer on the bottom and I too have also used (as Nana suggested) a layer on the top as well. The layer on top is especially helpful when working over napped fabric such as terry and minkee to keep the threads from sinking into the nap, but I have found it helpful as well on highly digitized designs on cotton. 

I always used the winzip program to download my files and have never had any problems with them downloading correctly. Are your other designs showing up correctly on your machine?    

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, May 17 2011 5:12 PM

Thanks Nana and Stephanie

Stephanie, there is a group of 10 designs and they all unzipped ok. Even the second time after downloading it. Also, design #9 is different from the picture.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,636 Posts
Points 140,668

Sharon,

I forgot to mention that when you hoop cotton don't pull it too tight. This can cause stretching of the fabric on the bias and can also distort and cause puckering. I have also noticed that if you press your design on a thick terry towel it can help ease some of the puckered look out of it.

That's about all I can offer since I'm unfamiliar with your software and Brother machines. I hope you get everything worked out.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,272 Posts
Points 35,195

Sharon, I don';t know anythig about the SE400.  My quattro has a UBS port that I plug the flash drive into.   If you are plugging in the computor, maybe you should try plugging the flash drive into the sewing maching.    On mine a screen comes up in embr. edit that lets me choose machine memory, or UBS port.  it then lets me choose from the pattern folders I have on the flash drive.

You may have to go to Brother Solutions or call thier customer service.  Did you get an instruction book.  That might tell you how to get to the files.

Granny M  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, May 17 2011 9:08 PM

Granny M,

The machine does not have a USB connection. It has a wire that plugs into the machine and the other connects to the computer. I am waiting for a response from the web site people where I bought the designs. I do have a manuel and have followed the instructions in the book.

Toledo, OH

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, May 18 2011 9:48 AM

Today the company sent me another email. She said some of the designs were slightly larger then 100mm or 4 inches. My machine only has a 4 inch stitch field and that is why they were not working.  I downloaded them and they worked. Yeh!!!

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,636 Posts
Points 140,668

That's great Sharon. Yay, persistence pays off.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,272 Posts
Points 35,195

I never thought about that!  So glad they were able to work it out for you.     When do we get to see the embroidery?  you've got me all curious now.

Granny M

Top 500 Contributor
Female
81 Posts
Points 550

Hi Sharon,

Concerning the files that you have downloaded. Do you have a resizing program on either of your computers and have you tried to bring up one of the files that doesn't work in that program to see if it shows up OK? Sometimes it can be the machine that is not picking up the file transfer correctly. As far as the puckering goes, how dense are the stitches? Many times if the stitching is too heavy it will pull the fabric in. I had that happen and I tried used more layers of stabilizer. That helped some. I have also tried using a digitizing software to reduce the density of the stitches.

Mary

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Answered (Not Verified) Sharon replied on Thu, May 19 2011 12:48 PM
Suggested by Ally

Mary, I do not have a resizing program. I also tried using a stabilizer on the top (after it was suggested here) and that helped. These patterns are very dense and probably work better on heavier fabric. I am going to add a layer of batting and make a sandwich. Also going to add some fmq to distract the eye from the puckers.  

Toledo, OH

Top 200 Contributor
320 Posts
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Thu, May 19 2011 2:22 PM

Another thing you might want to try is starching your fabric before you hoop it. Helps to make it a little more stabilized.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Thu, May 19 2011 2:37 PM

Thanks Ally, I will try that on my next project.

Toledo, OH

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,272 Posts
Points 35,195

Still the patterns are pretty.   Will the quilt block lend itself to stippling.  won't notice the puckers if the background is stippled and the pattern would pop.

Granny M

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use