Top 10 Posters

Naming Quilts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 37 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 425
lady_ogma@yahoo.com posted on Mon, May 16 2011 7:03 PM

I have to ask - why do we name quilts? And have you noticed how often the names and the quilts do not seem to have any connection at all? I can understand if someone creates a new quilt block it needs a name so that we all know what it is, but naming quilts is a puzzle to me.

D

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,376 Posts
Points 175,083
Marie replied on Sun, May 22 2011 9:53 AM

Judy Lee said it, they're my babies is why.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 930

I think that by giving a quilt a name is sentimental, and gives a special  meaning to the quilt if  you made it for someone as a gift, or for your own use.

I have not made a quilt yet, but I plan on making quilts for all my grandchildren for graduation gifts. Each quilt will represent their dreams. I have a name for my granddaughter's quilt already pick out. I am naming it Maddie's Dreams.

Mary Louise

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 30

my latest name is ,Find the Four Spiders Quilt,they are tiny...usually I have real trouble coming up with a good name

Top 150 Contributor
Female
428 Posts
Points 7,640
Suggested by Kim Hanson

I think it's part of the creative process to name the quilts that we make!  I love coming to the end of a project, making  a quilt label, sewing it onto the back of my quilt and naming it for my quilt journal.

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Tue, May 24 2011 9:17 PM

You know, when I first got into quilting it just struck me funny!  I mean, some of those "names" sound like Romance Novels! Or Country Western songs, you know?  So I got the giggles when one of my classmates asked what I was going to name MINE, which I always referred to as "my pet" - and I came up with "Spot".  The next one was "Fluffy".  I don't think of my quilts as one of my children, but I DO think of them as a pet, and so they are named ......  :D  Right now I am working on a "Storm at Sea" quilt for my daughter, and yes, it will have a "heart" showing up in the design.  I have seen many of these such quilts named "Heart of the Storm" "Safe Haven" and what not, but I got that song in my head while I worked on it  that goes: "My love is deeper than the deepest ocean, wider than the sky.....'  It was recorded in the mid 60s by Petula Clark, and yes, her nic-name is "Pet" - so I named the quilt "Petula"...... 

Oh yes, the actual question is "Why" - I don't know.  I don't even know why I named my bike when I was 8 years old, but I did!  However, I would like to know "Why" so many names ARE like Romance novels, and country western songs........   any answers to that one?

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Tue, May 24 2011 9:17 PM

You know, when I first got into quilting it just struck me funny!  I mean, some of those "names" sound like Romance Novels! Or Country Western songs, you know?  So I got the giggles when one of my classmates asked what I was going to name MINE, which I always referred to as "my pet" - and I came up with "Spot".  The next one was "Fluffy".  I don't think of my quilts as one of my children, but I DO think of them as a pet, and so they are named ......  :D  Right now I am working on a "Storm at Sea" quilt for my daughter, and yes, it will have a "heart" showing up in the design.  I have seen many of these such quilts named "Heart of the Storm" "Safe Haven" and what not, but I got that song in my head while I worked on it  that goes: "My love is deeper than the deepest ocean, wider than the sky.....'  It was recorded in the mid 60s by Petula Clark, and yes, her nic-name is "Pet" - so I named the quilt "Petula"...... 

Oh yes, the actual question is "Why" - I don't know.  I don't even know why I named my bike when I was 8 years old, but I did!  However, I would like to know "Why" so many names ARE like Romance novels, and country western songs........   any answers to that one?

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 30
buslady replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:36 PM

I believe it might have something to do with the fact that we LOVE our projects and we spend so much time with them that we start to think of them as more than just a blanket.  We put so much of ourselves into our projects that they actually take on a life of their own.  And every life deserves a name!!  LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:42 PM

very good answer

Page 3 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use