Wash completed quilts?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,837 Posts
Points 123,665
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Wed, May 4 2011 5:48 PM

Does anyone else like to wash their completed quilts to give them that puckered look? I don't pre-wash fabrics (I'm sure I heard a Gasp! from some of you). Rather, I wait until the quilt is all done and then I wash on a gentle cycle and dry on a gently cycle. I love the cozy, cuddly look it gives them.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

The only ones that I ever washed upon completion were the ones that I sent to Quilts For Kids as it is a requirement. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

Judy, I never pre- wash either, but I always wash after it has been quilted, because I love the crinkly look.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,979 Posts
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Wed, May 4 2011 8:00 PM

I generally wash the ones I give away since I have cats that like to "inspect" every project.

Remember, it's the shrinking cotton batting that's mainly responsible for the crinkling. (I don't pre-wash either).

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, May 4 2011 11:04 PM

Judy

I don't prewash.  I always leave my washing until after I have completed the quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I am becoming a convert to the "don't prewash" school of thought.  I do pretest deep colors like red, however. 

I like to launder after completing the quilt to remove markings, thread bits, and cat hair.  I do like the softer, crinkly look, but I was shocked at how much some batting shrinks, so I'm more careful now to use low heat.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 247,949

I don't pre-wash  either, I love the feel of the fabric and the smells when it new . I also think it works better for piecing . When I do wash ,I use cold water and line dry my quilts....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 2,320

I don't prewash either, but I'm thinking about changing again to the prewash-faction. I read an article from Alex Anderons and it made sense what she said about bleeding and all, even with color catchers.... plus I learned a tough lesson yesterday. I washed my mother's Sudoku quilt and the fabric shrunk a little and so at one point the binding tore from the border... it was only an inch but still its aggravating, I fixed it by hand, but yo can still tell a little....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280

I don't pre-wash (I have in the past) because I like the crispness of the material and then the crinkles when it is washed. And I also like jellyrolls and honeybuns and haven't figured a way to wash them without having a major unravelling party to clean up.

Not Ranked
Female
41 Posts
Points 300
Lola M replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:01 AM

I do not prewash fabric.  I do wash the just finished quilt to remove markings, and loose threads.  I use a gentfle soap, 1 cup of vinegar, and 1/4 cup of salt, this is suppose to set colors the 1st time a quilt is washed.  Then I dry on low setting in the dryer.  It has worked well for me.

Not Ranked
Female
48 Posts
Points 1,060
Jan replied on Thu, May 5 2011 5:54 PM

I too wash mine after i finish  using vinegar and salt to set the colors.  I love the feel of a fresh washed quilt.

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 50

I do not prewash anymore. I like using fat-quarters & after prewashing they shrank. So they were not quite fat-quarters. I do wash after completion with gentle cycle & dry on low setting.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Wed, May 11 2011 8:05 PM

I don't normally prewash but I definitely wash after it's complete, as I use starch when cutting out my pieces and I don't want to give it away with all that starch in it.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use