Top 10 Posters

Cleaning a self healing mat

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura posted on Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:40 PM

My two large mats are getting pretty worn and have quite a bit of fabric lint in them. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these? I read somewhere that you can use a very fine sandpaper, or an art eraser to clean them off. I also notice one has a large 'grease' mark not sure where it came from, but any ideas to get it off??

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,812 Posts
Points 43,714
Answered (Not Verified) Eileen replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:57 PM
Suggested by Ms MoomMist

Laura,

I  found lots of sites, like the one below, with tips on cleaning the mat: http://www.olfa.com/CustomerserviceFAQ.aspx#m1

Other sites, like this one with a scan of a page from a quilting book do mention using very fine sandpaper or an emery board to smooth out cuts: http://books.google.com/books?id=MQneD8cQ5KAC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=rotary+cutting+mat+sandpaper&source=bl&ots=1rCrUotOBH&sig=kOQh6pqOKpwaCdVa88BN3XUeNe8&hl=en&ei=vNa4TdTDCYrDgQeUrvxQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=rotary%20cutting%20mat%20sandpaper&f=false

Hope this helps!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:11 AM

I just use a wad of scraps and rub all over mats, cleans up perfect with not residues.  I love the self healing mats, they clean upso easy!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
165 Posts
Points 2,030

I use a "used" dryer sheet.  It is abrasive enough to "grab" the lint, but won't harm the mat.  I also use dryer sheets to clean the faceplate of the iron if I get something on it.

Hope that helps!

Jaci – Streator, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Laura,

2 words,  Magic Eraser        1  LOL!

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,394 Posts
Points 27,280

I met a shop owner in New York State who used an old mat to sharpen his rotary cutter. He turned the mat over and claim if he rolled the rotary cutter over the back side of the cutting board, it worked like a sharper. I've not tried it, but he almost swear by it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,394 Posts
Points 27,280
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sun, May 1 2011 11:11 PM

I decided that since the two mats are pretty old, I'd go with a light sandpapering, using a 220 grit. Then I had to wipe them down and they are better than before. Course the grease spots haven't come out and I hesitate to use a stronger cleaner in case it takes off the lines.  It definitely has made them a lighter green, though it didn't take off much of the yellow lines. But I do find it better for cutting. So, would I recommend it, only if it's an old mat and you aren't quite ready to buy a new one (waiting for my Joann's coupon!)

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Not Ranked
56 Posts
Points 1,125

Don't know what to do about the grease spots, but when I want to clean lint off my mat I use some scraps of tulle.  I just scrunch them up in a ball and use it like one of those net-type kitchen scrubbies.  I haven't tried an actual kitchen scrubby on my mat, but I guess that might work too.

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 40
Suggested by Judy Hall

Hi Laura:

I use a nylon scrubbie (made from net) that you buy at the craft shows which use in the kitchen.  I loan a mat to a scout  she was making fleece blankets that you tie.  It came back with fleece down in the mat.  It clean us real could I still take it to classes when I go.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,799
gini replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:19 AM

hi judy, welcome to the group   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 425

Hi,

I use a rubber hand scrubbing brush every time I need to clean my mats. It works great. I don't know about the grease mark as I have not had that kind of problem.

D

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use