Top 10 Posters

Blocks on point - the half triangle to make edges square

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 75
dacabral posted on Tue, Apr 26 2011 2:57 PM

What is the best way to fill in the edges of blocks sewed on point? The finished block sizes are 8 1/2 inches. I don;t kinow if I should cut triangles and sew them in (bias edge) , or sew in sqares and cut them. How big should the triangle or square's be.  Thank you for help in advance!!!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,132 Posts
Points 28,645

If you are trying to set an 81/2 inch finished block on point, you need to cut  the setting triangles  as follows:

Cut 6 5/8" squares

Cut the squares in half on the diaganal and sew  the triangles to the blocks.

Thiswill  make your finished block 12 inches

I would have to know how you are setting the quilt to fully understand what you are asking.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 4:31 PM

you cut triangles and sew the blocks together in diagonal strips, with a trangle at each end.    your corner triangles will be smaller than the ones on the sides.   i don't have time to do the math for you, but you can find the charts online.   or maybe someone can help you out with the math.    you cut  the side triangles from a square cut once on the diagonal,   and you cut a square twice on the diagonals for the corners.  they are called setting triangles and are easy to do.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use