Top 10 Posters

Set-in Seams

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
42 Posts
Points 985
Renaye posted on Tue, Apr 19 2011 10:03 AM

Do any of you have an easy/efficient way to put in set-in seams?  I am doing a Block of the Month Quilt and it has been really good until now.  I guess set-in seam has always bugged me.  Somehow I always seem to get a "pucker" when I am done.  Does anyone love these things?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 10:42 AM

I'm still a semi-beginner, so I'd be curious to learn what a "set-in seam" is in quilting?  When I used to sew clothes as a teenager, it was mostly used in referring to sleeves, I think.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Are you maybe refering to a "Y" seam?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 10:57 AM

renaye,  your pieces need to be exactly cut  and your measurements need to be exact.   so mark the intersection, where the two 1/4 inch seams come together, with a dot (pencil or chalk, whatever you are comfortable with).   do the same with the corresponding piece.   securely pin those dots, wrong sides together, meeting them precisely.  now forget about the inset, forget about the second part of the seam.   Stitch from the outside edge to the dot. Stop exactly on that dot. Drop your needle in that spot.  Pivot the pieces under the needle.  Now forget about that seam you just sewed, it's in the past.  Align the edges of the new seam, the second half of the inset seam.  You may have to fiddle (or vrettle, that's serious fiddling). It helps to have an awl here to help you get the spot under the needle to co operate and lay nicely.  lift  and fluff, and fiddle and smooth.    keep smoothing until ths seam says flat, and stitch down the seam.  There, you should have a perfect inset.    the more you do these the easier it gets.    gini

sometimes there will be a little kerfluffle or fold on one or other of the fabrics right at that pivot point.  as long as the second half of that seam is lying flat from the dot to the end of the seam, it should be ok

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 11:05 AM

nancy, it's a seam that has a center point and the two side go off at different directions.  a good example is a star block.  between two points of the star in a lone star quilt, will either be a square or triangle ( it will be a right angle in either case)    you align one side of the point and square, pinning that  spot where the two points diverge ( or meet ?)   with the corner of the square.  you stitch down one side, drop the needle in that dot, pivot the materials, realign the two new sides and stitch down  the square attaching it to the other point.   this is hard to describe, but it is pretty easy if you take the time to drop the needle and make that second seam line up smoothly.   if i am comfortable that everything is aligned correctly and my seam will lay flat i will take an extra stitch to secure it in that pivot point.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 11:12 AM

gini:
sometimes there will be a little kerfluffle or fold on one or other of the fabrics right at that pivot point

it isn't really a fold, it's just that the fabric buckles up a little, kinda behindish the pivot point.    and i'm sorry, i hope this is a little clearer than mud    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 11:26 AM

Set in seams really are not that hard. You just have to be very presise with your starts and stops. There is an excellent article on how to do them in the May/June 2011 issue of McCalls Quilts magazine.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/issues/index.html?current_issue 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Answered (Not Verified) Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 2:00 PM
Suggested by Pat M.

Go to kayewood.com and click on "Watch"--look for the video "Perfect Y Seams" .  Hope this helps.

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Female
105 Posts
Points 2,710

Didn't somebody just post pictures of how to do a set in seam last week?  With pictures showing the checkerboard that the pressed seams make?

Nancy P

Not Ranked
Female
42 Posts
Points 985
Renaye replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 3:58 PM

Thank you to all who replied. I hope I can do this now. I have been quilting for years but have never been able to "master" this technique.  Thank you.

Renaye

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Nancy P :
Didn't somebody just post pictures of how to do a set in seam last week?

Gini posted pictures of "locking" a seam.   If we pester her enough, maybe she'll post pictures of this Y-seam or set-in seam example.  She's so talented and knowledgeable.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:04 AM

this is a good quick video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQA28NnH_S0

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
552 Posts
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 8:47 AM

what a great video thanks for posting it.

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
87 Posts
Points 2,420
Maria replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:50 AM

thank you for video...

it's great example...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use