rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 525
Mary Ellen Posted: Sun, Apr 10 2011 4:16 AM

Hello, everybody! 

I've only been quilting a few years and haven't managed to find the time to finish many projects; however, if my "craft room" (which is also the "computer room," "storage loft" and "spare bedroom") is anything to go by, it will be a long-term obsession. 

Right now, the school year is winding down, so I'm looking forward to my Summer-season shop hop through the Midwest, especially southern Iowa's Amish community and western Wisconsin's back-woods quilt shops in the lake country, to get more ideas and gather supplies.

I also look forward to getting somewhere the internet isn't relayed through satellites, so I can watch more of the quilt shows on QNNtv.  Right now, it takes all day to load one video!

Happy Quilting and Crafting to All!

Mary Ellen

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:30 AM

Mary Ellen,welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy your time with us. I live in the midwest not to far from Iowa, I hope you will enjoy your shop hop when you get here. When are you planning it?.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:11 AM

Welcome to the club, Mary Ellen.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:35 AM

welcome mary ellen, where in alaska do you live?     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,575
Robin replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:38 AM

Welcome Mary Ellen,

You've joined a really friendly bunch.   Hey what part of Alaska are you from?

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to club Mary Ellen.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,112
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 3:04 PM

Welcome Mary Ellen.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 4:03 PM

Hi Mary Ellen,

Don't overlook the huge state-wide shop hop in Minnesota.  I, too, suffer through satellite Internet, so I hear you on the QNN issue.  I don't have any reprieve from it, however.  Welcome to QCA and I hope we'll hear much more from you.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,358
Marie replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:44 PM

Welcome to our family Mary Ellen and enjoy your time with us.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:57 PM

Welcome Mary Ellen

Hope you enjoy your time with us and chat with us frequently.  I think you will find that everyone is very friendly and helpful.  Remember to check out the groups section.  There is almost always something fun going on.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 525

It usually goes in several stages throughout the summer: Late May through early June, southern and western Wisconsin; Mid-June through July, south and south-central Iowa and northern Missouri; then, any last stops I can make in late July.  We pack and ship the first week of August, then fly back to the village to be here for school opening on or about the 15th.  I'm still discovering lots of little shops in small towns, as we travel to see friends and family, as well as hidden treasures in big cities that only the crafty folks seem to know about.  My darling husband has been very patient with me taking off on little jaunts across the countryside while we're visiting friends and family, for which I am always very grateful.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 525

Thanks for the welcome, everybody.  Gina and Robin, to answer your questions:  I live in a fairly large Yup'ik Eskimo village on the southerly end of the Bering Sea coast called Hooper Bay.  It's about 500 air miles from Anchorage.  We don't have any roads, and, with only a few exceptions, the village lacks running water and sewer, but the community is pretty large- about 1200-1300 people.  As you can see from my avatar picture, it's not "postcard Alaska," but we've been pretty happy here for thirteen years.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:29 AM

mary ellen, you live in a very remote area,  sam has fished in quinhagak

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,575
Robin replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:44 PM

Wow!  That's amazing.  My house would go nuts in such a remote location.  I asked because I was born in Fairbanks.   My dream trip is to fly to Fairbanks then go by railroad to Anchorage and then cruise the passage, and maybe one day I'll make it.

Robin

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 9:57 AM

Welcome Mary Ellen,  I hope you will send some more pictures of your area.  It is so interesting to see remote areas that I know I will never be able to travel to.  Things that are different really spark my interest.   Are you a teacher or just have kids in school.  When we moved to this part of KY there were still places with no electric or running water.  No amb. or fire service.  All that is gone now as things have become more "modern" and built up.   We even have DSL lines now.  When I moved here the phone was a 4 party, party line.   Sadly not all changes are for the better.

Again Welcome to the club

Granny M

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use