Top 10 Posters

Red fabric bleeding into white fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
Maureene posted on Thu, Apr 7 2011 8:23 AM

I was working on the quilt Beautiful Voices.  Because the kit fabrics was somewhat small I did not prewash the red fabric.  When removing quilt marking with water the red fabric bled into the white.  Any help to remove it?  Thanks, Emmie

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 9:49 AM

I've been told to use the shout sheets in washing, continue to use until sheet no longer obsorbs the color.

BTW I looked up Beautiful Voices online, it is definitely gorgeous. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 9:53 AM

Maureene

Shout makes Color Catcher Sheets that you can get at your local grocery that catches any dyes that run during washing.  Add 2 or 3 sheets to the wash and keep using the sheets until there is no longer any color on them when you wash the quilt.   I don't know if this will help where the color has already run but it may.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 9:57 AM

Maureen

FYI, in the past when sewing with fabrics I thought might fade or bleed, I soaked in salt water or vinegar.  Always worked for me.  I just soaked for a couple hours then threw on the line or in dryer, this was before quilting, when it was fashionable to design and make ones own clothes.

Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 11:17 PM

I just had this happen on a red and white quilt I had worked on for 3 years, and I finally found some Synthrapol after about 3 months of looking. It said to add 1 cap of Synthrapol into the washer with HOT water plus a color catcher. I was totally freaked out but figured, it was already ruined, so why not try it. And it worked! All the red that had bled into the white was gone. I also had used the same red fabric in a quilt I made for my daughter from fabrics used in her wedding, and the red had bled into the white satin after she washed it. It had been washed and sat for about 2 years. I brought it home and washed it and the bleeding red was gone. I am amazed at this stuff, highly highly recommend it.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Thanks for sharing this, Laura.  Good to know.  It sounds like two good products to have on hand.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
229 Posts
Points 5,985

This is all great information. Just want to share a link to the manufacturers directions for the use of Retayne and Synthrapol:

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/store/home.php?cat=323

Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,787 Posts
Points 12,965

Thanks for sharing!  I have a red and white table runner that just sits in a drawer now because the red bled into the white and I didn't know how to "fix" it. Thanks for the info!

Oregon

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use