Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #3

Page 54 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 52 53 54 55 56 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,039 Replies | 54 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, May 25 2011 3:57 PM | Locked

Patsy Thompson uses all her practice sandwhiches for visuals.  Which is ok if you do DSM not LAQ.  It is the same end result just easier to make a "book" of samples with a dsm than a long arm. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:04 PM | Locked

Nope, worked in yard, digging, preping and planting.  Got 2 lovely Blush Knockout Roses and a Big Hydranga, oh and a Citron plant that looks like I could split it!  Will hang strings for sweet peas manana. 

Got another couple days digging to go so I can plant roses and hydranga, can only work in AM, very hot and humid, dangsous for me, so it is taking much longer to get anything done.  Manure tea is ready, maybe tomorrow after I've watered everything good, don't want to burn the plants.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:06 PM | Locked

Jeanine:
there is something to actually seeing the stitches versus a B&W drawing in a book.
i agree that actually seeing the pattern stitched on fabric is ideal but the black and white drawing was better than nothing.  :o)  Maybe you could do all your patterns on some muslin like a giant patchwork and then hang it up on one of your walls.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 75
Kathy replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:59 PM | Locked

So far I did not quilt today but I bought fabric and batting.......does that count?  I'm heading back to my sewing room now!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Wed, May 25 2011 6:39 PM | Locked

I am still working on my photo memory quilt wall hanging.  I have to more blocks to go and then put the binding on.  Finally a project that I will finish with quite a bit of time to spare.  I need to have it done by the second week in August when my husband and I go to Montana to visit my family.,  The quilt is a gift to one of my aunts.

Margaret

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 575
debbiethompson replied on Wed, May 25 2011 6:46 PM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:
Oh no MNnancy, once I'm ready to quilt, I want to go, there is no practicing for me... I locked my doors to make sure that the QP (quilting police) cannot get in. They would have to get a search warrant to get into my sewing room :P

I agreed with this.  I have a new Mega Quilter and I will put a quilt on it and just let it stand on its own.  If the quilt police want to say something, they can grump and groan all they want, but the quilt is mine to use and they can just hang their opinions from there own quilt frame. I love the idea of a sample book with prices in it.  I don't know who began the idea, but thank you for sharing and I'm borrowing it from you for my studio.  

BTW, I spent today cleaning my sewing studio while watching for the tornado to come.  We had been under tornado warnings all afternoon.  Fortunately, we got a warning, and some rain, but no really bad weather.  At least my basement is now clean and ready for the MQ frame, my sewingroom/office/girlcave is ready for the next project and I can now go make supper feeling happy.  Oh, yeah, I did hem a small table runner today as well, which ended one more UFO.  Now if someone will just pay me for my effort and I will be happy.

Debbie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, May 25 2011 6:50 PM | Locked

Margaret Weber:
I am still working on my photo memory quilt wall hanging.
   Margaret what type of photo fabric did you use.  I am getting ready to make graduation wall hanging and I got some from electric quilt co.  I think there may be several types out there, so thought I would ask what you used.  This will be my first attempt at photo to fabric.

Not much quilting going on at my house right now.  Two Graduations and had to wait for backing fabric for bargello to come in.  Hope tomorrow will give me some quilting time.

Granny M

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Wed, May 25 2011 6:59 PM | Locked

Granny M,

The photo fabric that I used was the June Taylor Sew-In Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Inkjtet printers.  This is only my second memory quilt and I am still learning the tricks.  I have had great results with this fabric paper. 

I am interested in knowing if there is a better photo fabric to use.

Margaret

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, May 25 2011 7:06 PM | Locked

Margaret Weber:

I am interested in knowing if there is a better photo fabric to use.

I am kind of collecting opinions on that myself.  Electric quilt co has several to choose from.  I started with just the regular 200 thread count fabric.  I have not used yet but will be doing in the next couple of days so will let you know how it turns out.  I have heard one can also make thier own with fabric and freezer paper.  I have not tried and don't recall if anyone else on here has tried that.  Maybe they will let us know. 

Granny M

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, May 25 2011 9:23 PM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

MoomMist - have you tried one of those bobbin winder machines for Lizzie's bobbins?  I honestly don't know if they can handle the larger bobbins or not but it's an idea to look into since she wants to be fussy. 

Yes, Marge! I got a Dritz at Joann's when it was on sale about a week ago. Lizzie doesn't like to wind bobbins at all not even just doing that. I tried to wind while sewing but that is definitely a NO-NO and a waste of thread. The winder works just fine, I can even add a bit more thread when it stops and that solved that problem.

DH hiked the frame up, so I should be more comfortable and moved the controls to the right side of the handles so that I can use my right hand instead of having to reach over my arm to bring the needle up or down. He also added a lazer, but I think that will be a while before I try that. lol

Hey, everyone keep your eyes peeled at the weather and stay safe. We have had lots of rain and tornado warning all evening and now even into the wee hours of the morning...

Y'all take care and be safe!

xoxoxo

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, May 25 2011 9:26 PM | Locked

debbiethompson:

I agreed with this.  I have a new Mega Quilter and I will put a quilt on it and just let it stand on its own.  If the quilt police want to say something, they can grump and groan all they want, but the quilt is mine to use and they can just hang their opinions from there own quilt frame. I love the idea of a sample book with prices in it.  I don't know who began the idea, but thank you for sharing and I'm borrowing it from you for my studio.  

BTW, I spent today cleaning my sewing studio while watching for the tornado to come.  We had been under tornado warnings all afternoon.  Fortunately, we got a warning, and some rain, but no really bad weather.  At least my basement is now clean and ready for the MQ frame, my sewingroom/office/girlcave is ready for the next project and I can now go make supper feeling happy.  Oh, yeah, I did hem a small table runner today as well, which ended one more UFO.  Now if someone will just pay me for my effort and I will be happy.

Debbie

Where are you debbie? We have directTV, so when it rains the satelite doesn't want to show up but we have tornado warnings tonight and lots of rain as if we need any at all.

I used a variegated thread on the top and in the bobbin, so the meandering and all over quilting looks kind of unique on my Tutti Fruiti MQ4  :o)

Take care and be safe!

xoxoxo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:15 PM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:
Oh no, once I'm ready to quilt, I want to go, there is no practicing for me... I locked my doors to make sure that the QP (quilting police) cannot get in. They would have to get a search warrant to get into my sewing room

You are a brave woman!  Do you use pantographs or stencils or something to help you stitch designs you have not practiced?  Love the QP comment!  Unfortunately, I have a tendency to police myself.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:18 PM | Locked

Joni:
Nope, worked in yard, digging, preping and planting.

Joni, I'm jealous of all the gardening you're getting done, even with afternoon breaks.  I've quickly learned that I've over committed myself early into retirement, and I'm finding little "me" time.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:22 PM | Locked

debbiethompson:
I spent today cleaning my sewing studio while watching for the tornado to come.

Oh, gosh, Debbie, with the weather being as crazy as it has been, I think I would have putting off cleaning my sewing room just in case it became a much bigger clean up project after the storm.  You are truly an optimist!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 2,320
sushi607 replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:15 AM | Locked

it is.. I am so in love with that quilt. I am a person that does "learning by doing" so when I make stuff for my little ones or my kids, I always try new stuff out, they are my guineapigs... hmmmm I can post a picture of it in the unfinished state, I suppose. this is before I found the perfect fabric for the border :)

• | Post Points: 125
Page 54 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 52 53 54 55 56 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use