Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #3

Page 112 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 110 111 112 113 114 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,039 Replies | 54 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 575
debbiethompson replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 11:55 AM | Locked

Yes I worked on a quilt today.  I am binding a twin sized  T-shirt quilt and I finished it's partner throw yesterday after picking out all of the quilting and redoing it.  It turned out beautifully and I am now looking forward to finishing the big quilt.  I also finished the alterations on a shirt for a friend.  I am looking forward to a whole week with no lessons to teach so that I can quilt every day. 

BTW, I love the sampler and I would do the log cabin borders to make it the right size or I would use one of the fabrics to make it bigger and then put quilting in it to give it a beautiful frame for those blocks.

HaPPY qUILTING,

dEBBIE

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 12:48 PM | Locked

Nana:

Kim

I didn't mean for you to make log cabin blocks.  I meant for you to do your border in log cabin style.  You could even make the strips for the top and bottom wider than the strips for the sides so that you increase the length more than the width.  You would use your dark strips for top and one side and light strips for bottom and other side.  You could make the last "border" the same size and the same fabric all the way around the quilt.  It would give the effect of a very large log cabin block with your sampler as the center square.   Does this make sense to you.   I have actually used this technique before and it turns out very pretty.

Oh!! OK!! Now I understand like a horizontal piano key but more random scrappy lengths. I am really liking this idea. Would you do a narrow border of the background fabric first then start the strips or do you just add them on to the blocks as they are?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 1:08 PM | Locked

I am hard at work on my first art quilt (for the Art Quilt Group) and it is a very challenging piece! I have such freedom, I can use any media, so everything from batiks to lace and beading will be used here. I love thinking outside the box on occasion and getting to integrate many crafts into one. Now if only I could figure out how to add some knitting or crochet to it....hmmm, you never know!

Everyone have a good quilting day! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 6:29 PM | Locked

Kim

Either way would work but I would probably just add the strips on to the sampler section the way it is.  Can hardly wait to see your quilt finished.  Good luck on the quilt show.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 6:50 PM | Locked

Angele:

I finished my Great niece's graduation quilt yesterday.  Just in time to go home yeah!!

The first picture is the front and the second is the back.  I used a red variegated thread on the front and a black and white one on the back.  I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

I also made two messenger bags to bring with me for my nieces.

Angele - I had commented on your quilt over in the gallery.  Is this a "bendable curves" quilt by Peggy Barkle?  It looks so much like one that she showed us at the retreat this weekend.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 6:57 PM | Locked

Jeanine - what a fabulous birthday haul!!!!  Great fabrics all the way around.  My goodness -- the size of that cinnamon roll!!!   It sounds like you had a great birthday.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 6:57 PM | Locked

Jeanine - live your sister's quilt.  The sheep knitting are so cute! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:04 PM | Locked

Took a break from working on Celeste's quilt today.  I finished up the lap quilt for our Tabitha Ministry and then started cutting some fabric for a cat quilt.  Need to choose some fabric for next month's breakfast club and get it cut.  This time I am going to be smart and do a table runner to learn the pattern instead of going whole hog and doing a queen size like I am doing for Celeste!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,639
Points 418,679
gini replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:20 PM | Locked

i got my "bowties and boutonieres" back for the LA. she does such beautiful work. i hope the quilting shows

she even quilted little tucks into the bowties.   when she called and asked how i wanted it quilted i told her i was thinking of red swirlies, but she could do what she thought best.  she was skeptical of the red swirlas at first, but we both agree it made the quilt.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 377
Points 27,630
Darlene replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:23 PM | Locked

Gini, the red swirls are stunning.  They really make the quilt.  Nice choice.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 377
Points 27,630
Darlene replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:34 PM | Locked

I have been very busy with other obligations but was able to quilt some over the weekend and am off to the "dungeon" (my family's loving term for my sewing area) to work some more on a CQ for my DS's graduation gift.  I hit a brick wall on Sunday and had to take yesterday off.  I also spent some quality time with DH over the weekend frogging.  It was really too warm to have a queen size quilt on my lap while I tore out some quilting which went awry but he was pouting because I haven't spent much time with him.  I hate to just sit and watch TV and he knows that so if I am not working on something, he pouts even more.  He is so funny which is part of his charm.  Anyway, that satisfied him and tonight he has granted me permission to leave him.

Hope to have pictures soon to post.  Everyone is being so productive.  This group is inspiring.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,754
Points 54,295
Ginny replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 5:48 PM | Locked

Gini ,  I thought the bow tie quilt was neat when you first put the picture on,  but seeing the pictures of your quilt after the quilting - it's fabulous.  I was looking at the bowties at first and hadn't realized that you had gathered them.  Then I read that the long arm quilter had stitched them in.  Wow, how fantastic it looks.  Congrats to both you and the quilter.  Gini   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,417
Points 133,845
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 8:01 PM | Locked

Gini, I love the bowties. You are right, the red quilting looks great.

I've been working on placemats as Christmas gifts. I have 16 to make. One down, 15 to go. I also need to make a Christmas Stocking for my 39 year old Step Daughter but I can't decide on a pattern. Sweet girl saw the stocking I made for my granddaughter last year and hinted, strongly, that she'd love one also.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,781
Points 180,703
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 8:36 PM | Locked

Gini this is absolutely stunning!  The quilting is exquisite!  Who's the lucky recipient?

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 8:46 PM | Locked

Gini, that is fabulous, so elegant.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 112 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 110 111 112 113 114 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use