Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #3

Page 111 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 109 110 111 112 113 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,039 Replies | 54 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 8:25 PM | Locked

Mz M:

LOL Silverfox!! I have only been a member since Thursday and find I check the site before I go to work and several times before I go to bed........I have learned several good quilting points but, like you, should spend more time quilting.

Mz M I am the same way. I keep it up on my computer at work and check it when ever I get a chance. They check it again before I go to bed. It is a wonderful addiction to have LOL.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,373
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 9:03 PM | Locked

Mz M I think I need a support group scenario where they could teach me to wean off my habit but not totally.  Does that make any sense?  LOL  Maybe get it down to a reasonable amount of time per day?

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 10:05 PM | Locked

Mz M:
but I’m very single minded in my quilting endeavors, think it’s because I’m a newbie and I spend so much time on this site reading all the posts and looking at the beautiful quilts.

That's my story, too!  We could be related!

- - - - -

Oh, now I see Marie and Kim have chimed in, too.  What a big addicted family we're becoming.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 6:09 AM | Locked

Mz M, MNancy and Marie - True to form, I started up my computer, brought up my work programs and loaded this in the background. I will be with you guys in spirit until 5pm tonight. LOL. Very addictive. If you all weren't so fun...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:50 AM | Locked

Trying one more time.

JMHO, I would chose your medium green for the top and bottom additions. then perhaps the deep red print for a small 2" inside border all around.  Then a 6" border of your dark green print all around.  To complete use the Medium brown/tan print for your binding, or perhaps the same material as your backing?

Whatever you chose, this is one beautiful sampler quilt, your choice of colors and block are perfect.  You are going to have a wonderful quilt that you will cherish in years to come.  If not I would love to adopt this quilt.  I hope to get a sampler quilt in the making before the year is out.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:52 AM | Locked

Kim, I think anything but a simple binding of one of the fabrics in your quilt would detract from you beautiful blocks.  JMHO!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 7:53 AM | Locked

Kim, your quilt is going to be beautiful whem finished. I liked Nana's idea on the log cabin borders , I think that would be really pretty...Good luck ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 8:45 AM | Locked

Joni -  Thank  you. I like the color choices you gave and I could use some fancier free-motion quilting to set off the borders. I am very happy with how this top turned out I just don't want to mess it up getting to the size I would like it to be.

Barbara - I think the log cabin blocks would be nice also I am just worried about time. Would they need to be 6" each? Maybe if do only 2 sides of them I might be able to get them done in time. I would need 22 of them ( 11 on each side) I think, am I right? It is 64 1/2" on each side so one would have to be a little smaller.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 9:12 AM | Locked

kim:

Help! I am stuck! This is the quilt center I am working on, it is from a BOM program at my local quilt shop. Right now it measures 64 1/2" x 64 1/2"  I would like it to be big enough to fit a full size bed, I am thinking it needs to be 75" x 90"but I am not sure what to do to get it to that size.

I need to add 6" to the top and bottom then put a 6" solid border all around. I need to complete it by the end of the month to enter it into a quilt show (no pressure) so I need something that will look good and be fairly quick and easy.

My first thought was adding 6" blocks to top and bottom but I don't think I have time to make 16 new blocks. My next thought was to add a row of 4 or 9 patch blocks but I can't picture how it will look in my head so I can't decide if it would look good. Any ideas or suggestions? Please help!?!

if you think of the nine patches as a checkerboard, you can run it up the sides as well as across the bottom and top,  the checkerboard will be larger on the top and bottom.  a row of 6 inch stars at the top and bottom with the checkerboard on the out sides woudl also look really good,  and keep the checkerboard about the same sixe all around. the stars wouldn't take much time.     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 9:36 AM | Locked

Thanks Gini. that's why I love these boards, lots of great ideas. What if I did a row of stars on top and a row of log cabin on the bottom then the nine patch all around? Or would that be to busy and unbalanced?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,600
Points 119,085
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 10:06 AM | Locked

Joni:

Kim, I think anything but a simple binding of one of the fabrics in your quilt would detract from you beautiful blocks.  JMHO!

I think I'm with Kim. Simple borders would really frame the sampler blocks beautifully otherwise it might be too busy.

One thought, perhaps, is a narrow "barrier" border of a solid color. Then a wider plain border of one of the fabrics and finish off the outer border with a rail fence. That's fast to do. But I'm no expert by a long shot.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,373
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 10:12 AM | Locked

Kim,  I think Gini's idea is great.  It would give balance to the quilt and not be to fussy with all that's going on in the middle.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 10:30 AM | Locked

Kim ,It looks like you have gotten some really good ideas to finish up your quilt, will be anixous to see what you pick ...Again good luck..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 10:47 AM | Locked

Kim

I didn't mean for you to make log cabin blocks.  I meant for you to do your border in log cabin style.  You could even make the strips for the top and bottom wider than the strips for the sides so that you increase the length more than the width.  You would use your dark strips for top and one side and light strips for bottom and other side.  You could make the last "border" the same size and the same fabric all the way around the quilt.  It would give the effect of a very large log cabin block with your sampler as the center square.   Does this make sense to you.   I have actually used this technique before and it turns out very pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,600
Points 119,085
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 11:16 AM | Locked

Nana:

Kim

I didn't mean for you to make log cabin blocks.  I meant for you to do your border in log cabin style.  ..... You would use your dark strips for top and one side and light strips for bottom and other side.  You could make the last "border" the same size and the same fabric all the way around the quilt.  It would give the effect of a very large log cabin block with your sampler as the center square.... I have actually used this technique before and it turns out very pretty.

Nana

I would love to see this done up. Any chance you have a photo? It sounds like a great border for sampler quilts.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 111 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 109 110 111 112 113 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use