Top 10 Posters

Quilting design software - do you have a recommendation?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 115
Points 2,420
Cathy D Posted: Sun, Mar 27 2011 7:00 PM

Hi all,

I am a fairly new co-owner of a Babylok Crown Jewel longarm machine.  I just LOVE it.  I have found that besides doing free motion quilting, I really enjoy using the laser for continuous designs.  We have a book that has continuous designs in it that we can copy and tape together, and I know you can buy designs on-line, but I was wondering if there is a software program out there where we can use designs already created, make our own designs, size them to fit our needs, and print them out for our use.

Please let me know if you have software you use and if you like it or not.  We are looking for something under $200 hopefully. 

Thanks so much!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 5:45 AM

Cathy I have a CD called Quilting Designs Vol 6 from Electric Quilt Co.  It has the type of designs I think you are askiing about.  It doesn't work for me as I don't have a long arm.  I haven't played with enough to see how I can print out and use.  If you go to electricquilt.com you will find all 7 volumes and there might be some you are interested in  A lot of the ones I use I just make up.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 115
Points 2,420
Cathy D replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 5:59 PM

Thanks Granny  M.  We went to the LQS today and they were out of EQ7 and Quilt CAD.  Has anyone used Quilt CAD? 

Also. what are the differences between each of the EQ versions?  New designs or just updated software?  Does anyone know?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 8:21 PM

Cathy

I know that EQ7 will do lots of things that EQ6 won't do.  Not sure about the actual designs.  If I was buying my first EQ I would definitely go with the 7.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 7:14 AM

Cathy

As EQ like other software makes revisions and adds new features, when there is enough change, new version is released.  So if you are thinking of getting, get the EQ7.   I have it and use it a lot. I totally love it.  At first it seems a little overwhelming, but once you start working with it things fall in place.  It comes with video and printed lessons as well as a manual.   In fact if you go to the EQ group, there is a project I just finished posting that several were following along with me.  I have never used the Quilt Cad and not sure what it is.   Also you become part of EQ family online, there are always new blocks and fabric to download free.  Right now there is a BOM going on that  has a drawing each month for prizes. 

The nice thing about quilting is that there is always something new to learn and another quilt to make.

Granny M

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 115
Points 2,420
Cathy D replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 5:49 PM

Thanks Nana and Granny M.  I think I have finally figured out the difference between EQ7 and Quilt CAD.  My friend and I have decided to get both program - haha!!  Except we can only get one at a time, since money is always an issue.  Since are are primarily looking for pantograph designs right now we are going wit QuiltCAD.  After talking to the owner of our LQS, she is going to find out in May if EQ8 is coming out this year or not.  If so, we will wait for that, otherwise we will go for EQ7 as soon as we can afford it. 

Granny M - I took a look at the EQ group you have going as well.  I can't wait to be a part of that someday!

Thanks again for your help.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 115
Points 2,420
Cathy D replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 5:51 PM

Duplicate, sorry.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 6:46 AM

Cathy D:

Granny M - I took a look at the EQ group you have going as well.  I can't wait to be a part of that someday!

Thanks again for your help.

you are more than welcome

Granny M

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:23 PM

Cathy, what is Quilt CAD?  I haven't heard of this....I too have a longarm and am interested in designing my own panto's and such so would love some info?

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 115
Points 2,420
Cathy D replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:34 PM

Jean:

Cathy, what is Quilt CAD?  I haven't heard of this....I too have a longarm and am interested in designing my own panto's and such so would love some info?

Jean,

It seems to be amazing software!  I hope it lives up to my dreams!!  I downloaded a trial version to my computer from here (http://www.cabinlogic.com/)  The only thing this version cannot do is print - which of course, is the reason we want the software to begin with, but at least you get a chance to try it out for free.  They have pre-made designs, you can design your own or you can combine theirs and yours.  I played around with the trial version the other day and it seems pretty easy to use.  I have also found tutorials on-line that were very helpful.  I ordered the program on Friday from Amazon ($89) and when I get the full version, I will let you know what I think.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:36 PM

Thanks for the info Cathy and I'll be waiting to hear how you like it!!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use