rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 5:52 PM

Thea,

nice set up. I admire you for quilting that large quilt on that machine. I tried on mine. It hurt like hell. I also can't get the free motion to go smoothly on this machine. What's your secret?

I can't see the TV from my sewing area.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,553
Points 246,002
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 5:57 PM

Kris - lol - was going back to working on it again - I think it has been just the hours of doing it - I use the stuff and fluff method - and i quilt in about a 12" area at a time  - I put my hands within the area that I am quilting and i stick my tongue kind of this way and my mouth is screwed that way...lol

I also have it well supported so I don't feel the weight...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 337
Points 5,435
Deanna replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:34 PM

Althea, I have never seen a quilt this pretty.Your DDIL is going to love it. Lucky girl to have you as her DMIL.

Quilty Hugs,

Deanna
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,553
Points 246,002
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:49 PM

Deanna - first let me thank you for the complement... My DILs favorite flower is the Bird of Paradise so i saw this Judy Niemeyer pattern and thought I would make it for her - well then she and my son separated - had a daughter - divorced and now are back together... I am not sure what the future holds for them but I had some pretty rotten thoughts about my DIL...

So I got this pattern out and started working on it - from the beginning it has been going to be her quilt - and I called it my LOVE my DIL quilt - every stitch that I did on this quilt was to exorcise all my bad feelings towards her... i started out trying to think good thoughts but bad thoughts got in the way a lot... but slowly I have forgiven her for all the things that I blamed on her and all the bad things that I thought that she did...

My DS has to live with her not me - but to try and make a good bridge so that we will be able to see our Grand daughter and our son we have tried to mend the fences - it has been hard but I think making this quilt for her will go a long way.  I hope!

I am almost done quilting and had made this rule that I would stop after each bobbin and take a break - well I finished up that bobbin and put the new one in there and I have just this last half a side to go - thought I'll just keep going - well...

this speaks for it self - he jumped up there and told me to stop - i was to take a break... See the look on his face...lol I am not allowed to work on it till my break is over... he is adament...

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:54 PM

Althea,

Looks like you have somebody around to keep you to your "rules"!  He is so cute.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:12 PM

Althea

Your quilt is gorgeous and if your DIL doesn't like it there is something seriously wrong with her.   Your enforcer is pretty cute too.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 202
Points 5,090
Angel replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 7:25 PM

Kris:

Judy Iliff:
Well, finally! Something about which we don't agree! LOL! Actually, I don't use the Thangles, either. I have a CD that works on a Mac called Half Square Triangulations by Brenda Henning. I use it since you can print any size HST you need. I use a smaller stitch because I print on copy paper, 20# I think. If I have to do many more of these things, I'm going to find some lighter weight paper. This still tore easily, but I still had problems with a few. It could have been the 20 or so that I moved the stitch length the wrong way. I'm still on the number being the number of stitches per inch rather than the actual length of the stitch. It was truly a duh moment, and thus renewed my membership in the BSC Club. Dang! LOL!

Judy,

I've wanted to try triangulations. If this is an endorsement and they work on the Mac I'll give it a shot. I've tried drawing the grid like Thea does and while I've gotten good results, I don't like drawing all the lines.

I bought the book Reach for The Stars, by Brenda Henning. I had a friend who had theTriangulations CD. She printed out the triangles for me. Although we used typing paper instead. I found it was much easier to pull apart. That quilt is one of my UFOs....for I am not a big fan of paper piecing at all. If I ever finish that quilt..I will place that book up on the UFO listings.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,553
Points 246,002
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 8:37 PM

I am with you there - I hate paper piecing and guess what - I am going to make 2 more quilts using it... I have 2 more Judy Niemeyer patterns that I bought when I must have been insane but I am going to do them..

see how insane I am...lol

I am going to be starting one of them shortly - that project box is next if i don't push the McKenna Ryan quilt ahead of it...lol

i can do that - I make my own rules so i can change them...lol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Althea :

WOW!!! your BOP is looking good...I look forward to seeing a catless picture of it...lol

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 6:43 AM

I don't know Helly, by the look on his face I don't think I'd be the one to move him. He looks perfectly comfortable to me. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

LOL..you are right Stephanie...he does look pretty serious about his quilt...teehee

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 1,425

Gorgeous and far beyond my talents. You ared so talented and have a great eye for the colors. You just wait though one day I will make more than squares, triangles and rectangles! Keep showing pretty pictures.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Patricia...you don't know if it's beyond your talents if you haven't  tried it...If you are doing what you like and you will learn more with every quilt that you make...some of us have been quilting many many years and some not so much...be easier on yourself and enjoy your quilting and the stage that you are at.

Ontario, Canada

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 769
Elaine replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 1:19 PM

Althea,  That is beautiful.  You did a wonderful job.  I'll bet you are exhausted.  How long did it take you to make this quilt.  Elaine

Elaine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,553
Points 246,002
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 1:37 PM

Patricia Suzanne:

Gorgeous and far beyond my talents. You ared so talented and have a great eye for the colors. You just wait though one day I will make more than squares, triangles and rectangles! Keep showing pretty pictures.

Patricia - you will be amazed - one day you will applique and that is the only thing that this quilt has on it besides squares , triangles and rectangles.  It was Judy Niemeyers pattern, I just picked fabrics out of my stash that seemed to represent the flowers and the ornamental grasses...

I will try and continue to post pretty pictures - I love quilting...lol

Page 5 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use