Bird Of Paradise Quilt

Page 3 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I have taught a few ladies to paper piece and it does take a little time...maybe a class would be of benefit for you?..sometimes it's easier to be shown this technique and there are also a few different techniques but once oyu get the rythm it is easy...it is easy fir beginners as they have no preconceived ideas about where the fabric needs to be and they like the sewing on the lines...I taught my daughter to paper piece when she was 10...she liked sewing on the lines and she did a great job..again because she didn't know any difference

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:44 PM

Judy Iliff:
With paper piecing you just have to make sure your piece of fabric is big enough and then you just sew through the lines that are on the pattern in numerical order.  I think it's fun, but then I like using Thangles, when I remember, for half-square triangles!

Judy,

I like paper piecing a lot, I don't even mind tearing the paper. However, I can't stand Thangles. I'm doing a Buck-a-block using Thangles and I can't wait to be done so I don't have to use these things anymore.

I make my HSTs using the Companion Angle ruler.

I don't shorten the stitch length for Thangles. They come off just fine.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 4:34 PM

Kris:
However, I can't stand Thangles.

What don't you like about them?  I'm just asking as someone who has heard of them but never used them.  Some people sing their praises.  It's good to get opinions before buying!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 5:53 PM

MNnancy:
What don't you like about them?  I'm just asking as someone who has heard of them but never used them.  Some people sing their praises.  It's good to get opinions before buying!

Nancy, when I use them the HST never turn out right. It may be user error but I have no problem with the easy angle and companion angle rulers. I even get better results when I just cut triangles then piece them together.

It could be a bad batch but it's enough to make me not want to use them again.

Don't let my experience keep you from trying them though. They may work for you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 6:52 PM

for those who asked - the center is paper pieced as are the colored part of the bird of paradise flower... the zig zag border is also paper pieced.  the rest is applique.

I do not like paper piecing because of the quality of the paper used.  I have found a vellum paper that is very nice for paper piecing... this one was made from newspaper print paper and it wasn't bad.  i do not like Carol Doak's paper at all...too thick. 

I didn't have much problem with this one tearing out the pieces of paper... she does have you tear it off before you sew the sections together so you dont' have to under seams to get the paper out. 

I don't like thangles because even though I shorten the stitch I still have to resew some of them (NOT) all of them but just some because the stitching comes out at the beginning or the end... I would rather do the grid or make them slightly bigger and trim the hst rather then use thangles. 

I need to get all those thangles and the packages of different size hst and qst papers and take a picture and place it on here for someone who might want them.  I will never use them again so better to give to someone who might.  Since I am going to be cleaning out my sewing room for Steva to move into I will surely find where they are and post it so whomever might want them can have them.

I thank all of you for your kind comments about the quilt - I'll post another picture when I get done tweaking the applique on the sides and have finished quilting it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:05 PM

Althea :
I will surely find where they are and post it so whomever might want them can have them.

Thea, that's a great idea. I know they're notions but you could post them in the "Great UFO Giveaway" thread. There are a few things there already.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:13 PM

Kris - thank you - as soon as I get them all together I'll take a picture - I bought all this stuff before i retired thinking I would use it - then I tried them and didn't like them - they do work and are great for people who want to use them but just not for me... so I know they are in the closet somewhere and since I will be emptying it out I will find them then - and maybe some other things... I think I have a bunch of fat quarters that will be going into the Great UFO giveaway and some patterns...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,978

Thea, I hope you don't get tired of hearing that this quilt is beautiful. I read that your blue looks different, my quilt post picture came off like the blue was glowing so I'm sure it just the way the color takes over the internet. I ended up doing my HST bigger and cutting them down. I must have been stretching them when I had the triangles cut to size because they certainly weren't square when I finished. I've never used thangles, or paperpieced yet but I have heard that they have a water soluble paper for paperpiecing. I think it was on a Sewing with Nancy episode I watched on QNNtv. Not positive.

Spud and Edith, you had me in "stitches" with the comments about Jimmie Johnson and The Song. Keep up the good work girls, ya'll are the highlight of my day. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Kris:

Judy Iliff:
With paper piecing you just have to make sure your piece of fabric is big enough and then you just sew through the lines that are on the pattern in numerical order.  I think it's fun, but then I like using Thangles, when I remember, for half-square triangles!

Judy,

I like paper piecing a lot, I don't even mind tearing the paper. However, I can't stand Thangles. I'm doing a Buck-a-block using Thangles and I can't wait to be done so I don't have to use these things anymore.

I make my HSTs using the Companion Angle ruler.

I don't shorten the stitch length for Thangles. They come off just fine.

Well, finally! Something about which we don't agree! LOL! Actually, I don't use the Thangles, either. I have a CD that works on a Mac called Half Square Triangulations by Brenda Henning. I use it since you can print any size HST you need. I use a smaller stitch because I print on copy paper, 20# I think. If I have to do many more of these things, I'm going to find some lighter weight paper. This still tore easily, but I still had problems with a few. It could have been the 20 or so that I moved the stitch length the wrong way. I'm still on the number being the number of stitches per inch rather than the actual length of the stitch. It was truly a duh moment, and thus renewed my membership in the BSC Club. Dang! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:28 PM

Judy - you should get the paper that I was recommended to get - wish I could give you the name of it - but I can't - I will describe it though - it comes in a yellow wrap - is like a vellum paper - 500 pieces of it is the same height as 100 of Carol Doaks - you buy it at a paper store...the outside of the wrappers say NEENAH paper... what i can't tell you is the weight - there are several and this one is in the yellow wrapper - a friend who was going to buy some took the end thingie with the weight of the paper on it.

I was complaining about the paper used for paper piecing to a lady who teaches embroidery when we had a local Pfaff store in town and she told me to go buy this stuff - I couldn't get it at our local Staples but she told me to go to this paper store in OKC and i was on my way to my doctor's for a infusion and so stopped there. 

it is great - very sturdy - goes right through your printer without a problem - and it rips out beautifully... if I still printed off my HSTs or QST I would use this paper - it is great for tracing designs and then stitching the design without thread to use as a template for a qulting design - you can then pounce right through it and it is sturdy enough that it doesn't rip till you are ready to rip it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Thanks, Thea; I've saved the message!

Gillette, WY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

The next PP project I do, I'm going to try the water soluable paper.  I have a problem pulling out stitches at the end of seams.  I saw the water soluable on a F&P show and it looked great.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

the water soluble paper sounds great..it would be quicker than pulling paper out of seams

Ontario, Canada

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:22 PM

Me too Spud. I wasn't sure if I should reply or not. You are too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:42 PM

Judy Iliff:
Well, finally! Something about which we don't agree! LOL! Actually, I don't use the Thangles, either. I have a CD that works on a Mac called Half Square Triangulations by Brenda Henning. I use it since you can print any size HST you need. I use a smaller stitch because I print on copy paper, 20# I think. If I have to do many more of these things, I'm going to find some lighter weight paper. This still tore easily, but I still had problems with a few. It could have been the 20 or so that I moved the stitch length the wrong way. I'm still on the number being the number of stitches per inch rather than the actual length of the stitch. It was truly a duh moment, and thus renewed my membership in the BSC Club. Dang! LOL!

Judy,

I've wanted to try triangulations. If this is an endorsement and they work on the Mac I'll give it a shot. I've tried drawing the grid like Thea does and while I've gotten good results, I don't like drawing all the lines.

Page 3 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use