Page 2 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 95 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,180
Nancy D. replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 10:28 AM

SOOOOO beautiful Althea! The color combination is fantastic. Your DDIL had better shape up after all of this work!

I am taking a class on paper piecing this year at the International Quilt Festival. Maybe I should be careful not to buy too many patterns.

Nancy D.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I love paper piecing...but do hate to pull all the paper out...it is very tedious...but what great results...I will have to pull oout my pineapple quilt that I started and get it finished...I got bored with doing the same block over and over and over and over..well you get it...teehee..this site has made me go crazy with quilting...staying up till 4 in the morning and getting sew excited about starting the next quilt...thanks everyone!!! **Hugs**

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 11:17 AM

Althea :
It is my 2nd adventure into doing Paper piecing and

Beautiful, beautiful quilt!  I'm still such a newbie at this... what parts of your quilt are paper piecing, and what parts are applique?  Would it be safe to say the straight line geometic shapes are piecing, and the curved flowers are the applique?  Do you think the paper piecing is harder than the appique?  I've yet to try my hand at either, but want to learn them both.  Again, the quilt is gorgeous!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Althea--

Your BOP is spectacularly beautiful and you've done a really great job on it.  But I also want to commend you for the way you were able to use this project as a means of working through what sounds like bit of a dicey relationship with your DDIL, so here's a special happy quilty song for you:

Althea made a lovely quilt--ee-ii-ee-ii-oh!

With colors bright and stitches fine

A truly mar-ve-lous design!

Congratulations

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 12:34 PM

Althea, your BOP is beautiful and you definitely deserve Joyce's very cute quilty song!  Your DDIL will surely love this quilt.  You did a wonderful job.

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Joyce, what a great song! LOL! It's obvious to me that you have an education background. LOL!

Nancy, in my opinion, paper piecing is a whole lot easier than applique. With paper piecing you just have to make sure your piece of fabric is big enough and then you just sew through the lines that are on the pattern in numerical order.  I think it's fun, but then I like using Thangles, when I remember, for half-square triangles!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,180

A member of the Galveston quilt guild told us this: her mother is a longtime quilter but because of failing eyesight she can no longer quilt. She was becoming bored and depressed until she & her daughter found something that she likes to do - tear off the paper after paper piecing! Now she has something to do with her hands and her daughter no longer has to tear the paper herself. In fact her mother has offered to do other guild members' quilts.

Nancy D. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

How totally cool is that!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,180

Judy,

I like thangles too so maybe paper piecing will be a good match!

Nancy D.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Nancy, I think you need to do the same thing with paper piecing that you do with Thangles - make your stitch length smaller. It makes the paper easier to tear. You just need to remember to take it back to normal length when you're done.

I did see on Fons and Porter, I think, where one of them said paper piecing is a good beginning project because you get the points so nice and crisp.

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 2:48 PM

Judy Iliff:
where one of them said paper piecing is a good beginning project because you get the points so nice and crisp

Good to know.  Thanks!  I'll look for some F&P paper piecing episodes on QNN.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

the handiest tool for cutting the excess fabric from your paper piecing is an "add a 1/4" ruler...so handy...there is an "add an 1/8" ruler too for small paper piecing...I have done some tiny pieces and there is no way that I could have pieced it otherwise

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,518
masufa replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:05 PM

I call myself paper pieced dyslexic  if I don't sew on the wrong side I end up with the fabric wrong side up or upside down  I makes me crazy!

Masufa

Klamath Falls,OR

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,518
masufa replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:06 PM

Athena, your quilt is amazing, you should be very proud.

Masufa

Klamath Falls,OR

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:07 PM

Althea

Your quilt is absolutely wonderful.

You have put a lot of work and thought into this one. 

Your daughter in law will be thrilled. 

Page 2 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use