Rotary Cutters

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 120
Barbara Stack posted on Wed, Mar 23 2011 7:57 PM

I just discovered somthing this week I have been quilting about 20 years and using a rotary cutter for most of that time I am a right handed cutter and I was teaching a friend of mine how to use the rotary cutter She used it for a week and said it wouldn't cut anymore We had put a new blade in when she started I checked it out and it was DULL!!!  Then she mentioned being LEFT HANDED  She had been cutting with the wrong side of the blade (for right handers)  I was puzzled and it hit me Change the blade to the LEFT SIDE Ha!  it worked  I have never heard anyone ever mntioned that and I have been  watching Alex Anderson for a  long time and SHE is LEFT HANDED  ! ! !  Am I the only one to not know to change the blade? ?  Barbara Stack

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,658 Posts
Points 136,092

Hum did not know that either. But Mine will only load on one side

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 120

Hi Leslie  The cutter with 2 sides is a  Fiskars  also I am using an Olfa and it can be changed  Barbara

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
26,166 Posts
Points 387,662
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:55 PM

I use my Olfa cutter in either hand and I've never had a problem with the blade. I also have cutters for a specific hand but like the versatility of being able to switch hands.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,782

Barbara--

I'm left handed and have never had problems with rotary cutters.  Didn't know the blades were different sided.  I have on occasion turned a blade over hoping to get a few more cuts from it, but can't say I really noticed any difference when I did that.  My rotary cutters are mostly Olfa, but I have one Fiskars.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:11 PM

I have never heard of that either.  I do turn my blades over when they get dull and sometimes will get a few more cuts out of them. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 10:11 PM

I have never heard of that either.  I do turn my blades over when they get dull and sometimes will get a few more cuts out of them. 

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,275 Posts
Points 35,255

I am left handed so I always watch for things that can be used with either hand.  I haven't had any problems with my blades.  I also have a blade sharpener. It only does 45 mm blades though.  So I get lots of miles from my blades.  At some point that have to be replaced as they get just a fraction smaller when you sharpen them.

Granny M

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.