Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 725
nomajanedill Posted: Fri, Mar 11 2011 1:55 PM

My prayers are with the people going through the aftermath of the horrendous earthqake that hit Japan and the follow up tsunami.  I am grateful that my daughter and grandkids that live in Kona, Hawaii are all OK and have experienced no damage or injuries.  

In Kona and south to Napoopoo  (pronounced  na-po-o-po-o) Have experienced some damage,  King Kamahemahe Kona Beach Hotel had a foot of water  in the lobby.  The pier in front of the hotel was covered in water.  Some of the magnificant outrigger canoes were destroyed and one of the  restaurants along the road fronting the water had furniture pulled out into the water (I am sure several were also damaged).  I have also heard that one house in Napoopoo was washed out to sea.  Heard waves 3 to 7 feet.  

A lot I have heard so far is only hearsay,  a little too early to confirm by reports and pictures.  

LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!

-Aunty Mame-

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 4:41 PM

Thanks for the update Jill.

My prayers and thoughts are with all affected by this disaster.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:57 PM

Hi Ladies,

I live in Kona but fortunately far up the mountain. It is correct that one house in Napo'opo'o was washed out to sea. I know for sure that at least two were lost completely. My best friend lives in Keauhou Bay & was able to make it back to her home (against police wishes) around 10:30AM HST. She has no power or water. She told me all of Keauhou Bay was destroyed. The canoe club is gone, a dive company has lost their building & everything they use to run their business swept out to sea. The Fairwind Cruises building was destroyed along with the pier. She says it's a total mess. A couple of houses in Keauhou were damaged. In Kona town many business were inundated as well as the King Kam Hotel. Several resturants were also damaged. My LQS is right in there but they are elevated about 15 feet abouve the hotel & actually kept opened last night for those that had no where to go. The road along the sea front looks like a construction crew came through and chopped up all of the asphalt. The amazing thing is that it doeasn't appear that anyone was harmed. My heart goes out to all of those in Japan having to deal with this tragic event. Since I'm home sick I'll take this opportunity to count my blessings & send prayers out to everyone suffering.

Deb

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,036
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:10 PM

Thanks for checking in Deb. I'm glad you're unharmed.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:14 PM

Thanks Kris

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 7:03 PM

Deb

I am glad that you weren't severely affected by the tsunami.  Prayers with everyone in the middle of this mess.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 7:09 PM

Deb, so glad to hear that you and your loved ones are safe, prayers for all who are caught in this

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 7:16 PM

Deb, thanks for letting us know and I am so glad you and your family are safe.  My local news did not touch much on what was happening but I have been watching CNN off and on today.  The focused mostly on Japan.  My prayer to all who are suffering through this.  This old world just seems to be shaking itself apart lately.

Stay high, dry and safe

Granny M

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 7:25 PM

Thanks, Granny M, Nana & Leslie. It's times like these when everyone pulls together & supports each other. I'm glad you're all still out there & doing well yourselves. I don't get on as often as I'd like but I'll try to check in more often.

Have a good safe weekend!

Deb

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,713
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 8:06 PM

Debbie:
Have a good safe weekend!

Deb you do the same, glad you and family are alright!  God Bless all involved in this disaster.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,834
Points 248,829
Barbara replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 7:14 AM

Debbie, I have not seen the news for a couple of days, I didn't even know about any of this until I read this thread. Oh what a terrible tradgey. I am so glad to hear you and yours are ok and that, Janes family is ok as weill. My thoughts and prayers  go out to both of you and to all the people in Japan who were hit really hard by this earthquake ..God bless you all...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 10:56 AM

Thank you so much Barbara.

Deb

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 11:41 AM

Here are two links to videos of the damage to our town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47P8QQQAQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIO2vHwen48

Deb

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 2:10 PM

Debbie, so glad you and the family are safe and your losses minimal.  I watched CNN Live (on my computer) all day, but we never heard anything about Kona or Keahou Bay.

Praise God for all His Blessings!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045

Hello:

There are no words I can express to convey what sorrow I have for all those who have suffered greatly over the past few years from all of the earthquakes, floods and hurricanes. Please know to all of you that many of us send our good wishes (and $ when we can to relief organizations to help).

Christy G.

Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use