Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea Posted: Mon, Aug 31 2009 1:54 PM

I hate this day - once a month I have to sit down and write out all the bills and find out if I have anything left over to use for my obsession...lol

I can not believe that the 1st of September is tomorrow... 20 days and fall will be here and summer will be a thing of the past.  then it will be Halloween, Thanskgiving and Christmas.  I do not believe I am ready for this...

But now to get at this pile of bills setting next to me...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 604
Points 14,321
Tammy replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 3:09 PM

Althea,  Isn't everyday a bill day?  I think I get some in the mail about everyday and thank heavens when I don't receive one.  Today is the final day to get the last 1/2 of the land and personal property taxes paid so bet the court house is full today.  I did mine last Thursday.  I always feel its such a waste of personal funds to always pay taxes on the land, personal property (machinery, cows bought, etc.), vehicles and such.  Vehicles you pay taxes on when you buy one and then every year following.  Sometimes I think we're taxed to death.

I agree that you have to see what you can spend on our addiction after all the bills are paid. But like you said, summer is almost gone and fall and winter are right around the corner.  Gifts will need to be made or bought  but first everyone needs to be thankful for the blessings they've received through the year. For some reason, we go from Halloween right to Christmas. I feel Thanksgiving has been misplaced in the commercial world.  A person needs to be thankful for the things HE has given us through health, crops, families, friends and anything else you can think of.  And especially for the friendships and the ability to create beautiful quilts, artwork, music, etc.

Hope this finds you well!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Tammy:
A person needs to be thankful for the things HE has given us through health, crops, families, friends and anything else you can think of.  And especially for the friendships and the ability to create beautiful quilts, artwork, music, etc.

Amen, Tammy, amen!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Judy Iliff:

Tammy:
A person needs to be thankful for the things HE has given us through health, crops, families, friends and anything else you can think of.  And especially for the friendships and the ability to create beautiful quilts, artwork, music, etc.

Amen, Tammy, amen!

Amen and amen Tammy very will said.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 4:10 PM

Tammy:
Althea,  Isn't everyday a bill day?

Tammy in my house the bills are paid the 1st of the month - I get my pension check from the AF on this day and pay it out on the bills for the coming month... it is a good and bad day - I find how much things have increased from the month and year before as I keep charts of these things...lol

I agree with you about Thanksgiving - it is a lost holiday but how do they commercialize giving thanks - we have cards and food items that go on sale at this time but it is hard to make money off of giving thanks.

I give thanks each day of my life... each morning when I wake up - I give him thanks... each night as I go to sleep... I even thank him for my pain.

I think that it is hard in this age to give thanks - it is a lost art but i think people are waking up to it... we have an over abundance here and are very spoiled... I realized this when I was fortunate enough to live in Croatia and feel their pain...

I am very grateful for all that I have and I try and pay it forward each chance i get.

I just needed to gripe just a little bit as i thankfully have enough money to write these checks out this month to pay our bills - and hopefully TTGLBW I will have enough next month too.

Quilty Hugz!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,838
Points 352,722
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 5:30 PM

Tammy,

we don't have a Thanksgiving holiday where I'm from so I really don't celebrate it. To me it's just an extra day off work.

I am grateful for what I have though and I, like Thea, give thanks everyday.

I'm trying to have a positive outlook for Christmas this year.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 5:41 PM

I don't know why - they say this is the highest suicide rate time of year but I absolutely love Christmas... I don't have to recieve a single gift but that my Savior's birth is celebrated at this time... I love to watch a falling mist of snow and have a white Christmas - makes my day!  I love sitting in front of a roaring fire having memory day! 

I have always loved Christmas since I was a little girl - we didn't get a lot of presents - it wasn't about getting gifts... it was about family being together - we got to see my Grandparents at Thanksgiving at their house - then at our house for Christmas and then my other Grandmother for New Years...

So many traditions...simple times... and it always snowed in NY for Christmas... cider from the apple farm - hay rides... so many many happy memories ...

then church service with Dad saying how the walls will fall down when he walks through the door - they never did...the music - always seemed like angels singing for that service..

I am always smiling during the seasons and if it snows in OK - I am so happy...

I hope you find that positive outlook - just think of me smiling!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,838
Points 352,722
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 6:16 PM

Thea,

I got so used to not celebrating Christmas that it's hard to get back into it. I'm trying to make new happy memories with DH and he loves Christmas so it's worth a shot.

There's a high suicide rate because many people are reminded of what they don't have, others feel pressure becasue they may have lost a loved one or perhaps a job.

I suffer from SAD (season Affective Disorder). I go through major depression when it gets cold and we have less daylight. I had to turns down an assignment to Alaska for this reason. It lead to my getting out of the Army. I haven't been suicidal but I have a great support system and I have quilting to get me through.

I think the holiday season would be much better for many people if they didn't feel pressure to spend money they don't have.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 7:13 PM

Kris, that is a rule in our family - we do not go hogwild on presents - you buy for your kids - that is it... I buy for my Mom and Step Mom - usually I make them something -

i really wish that Christmas would go back to the meaning of the holiday and not the gifts that you can or can not buy... that is the shame of it... we taught our kids the spirit of the holiday not the consumer side... The greatest gifts that my kids gave me are the ones that are hand made.

I am so sorry that you have SAD... I know you would not have been able to make it at Thule Greenland... we had 4 months of complete darkness each year and 4 months of total sunshine - the other 4 months are like dusk all day... We had more problems with people during the total sunlight then in total darkness - you can make sunlight artificially with lighting but you can't shut out the sun... we had black light curtains on all our windows and small beeds of sunlight would get through.

i will pray that your support system stays strong for you and if you ever need to talk to someone I am always here... have a cell phone I never use too for those few times when I do leave the house.

Christmas comes and goes and no one remembers when they get a ton of gifts what they got each year but they remember that one Christmas sweater when it is the only thing they recieved and it becomes more precious each year...

Jay and I talk about the holiday before it gets here and will spend a quiet day together - we sometimes buy each other a gift and sometimes we will buy a gift together for the home - but more then anything else it is a quiet day for family - talks on the phone to those who can't be here and reminiscing about family passed.

find a tradition for you and your DH that is special to the 2 of you and make that your Christmas...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,085
Judi replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 9:45 PM

I have the same day planned for me.  After paying all the bills, I wonder what I will have left this month for my addiction!  That's why I am doing my UFO list!<GGG>

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 10:05 PM

I decided that after paying the bills this month that there is nothing extra for buying anything so finishing projects is what I will be doing... I am supposed to take a trip the first weekend in October so all extra will be going into the kitty for that - it is a quilt weekend - the shop hop in the lower part of KS... my friend and i are going to drive up and stay at McConnel AFB and travel around for 3 days to shops - taking it slowly each day - she has Lupus and RA and a bunch of other things like I do - so we will be having a good slow time... so to be able to go putting all money away that I can...

DH will have to use some of our extra money on wall board for the pantry but that is okay - The bills are going out in the mail tomorrow and all are paid for another month... so we will survive for another 30 days...lol

My SM sent me an email - she got her package today and was very excited - she is leaving for NY and it got delivered just before she went out - nice timing - so was very surprised - and has a good start to her trip.  Waiting to here from Steva if the Rocking horse quilt arrived... since one went to FL and made it already you would think that with AZ being the same distance it would get there today too - but maybe tomorrow...

But bills are done and I am smiling again!!! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,838
Points 352,722
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 11:07 PM

Althea :
But bills are done and I am smiling again!!!

Congrats on getting it done Thea.

I hope you have a good time on your trip when you go.

It's really hard to remember what Christmas is really about these days. That's when I really miss home. I had great Christmases as a child. All I ever asked for was a book. I enjoyed the carolers, the contests, the food, the people. It was all about family.

One of my most memorable times was when I got to attend midnight mass in Rome at St. Peter's Basilica. I even got to see Pope John Paul II.

My in-laws are about family too but DH feels guilty if someone gives him a bigger present than he got them and he feels you have to give a gift simply because you got one. I don't feel the same way. It makes a difference if you can afford it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 604
Points 14,321
Tammy replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 9:43 AM

Thea--  I should have use the word "by the commercial" instead of "in".  I agree with what you said about commercializing cards and food stuffs, but it just chaps me to think how they seem to forget about Thanksgiving--guess it's a pet peeve.  And yes, to say thanks everyday we wake is a great blessing!!  Sorry!!

I do love Christmas,too.  It always is a let down when you take the tree down and all the color.  Red is my favorite!!  It has a way of brightening a room and when it's gone the room looks so plain.  I always panick come a couple weeks before because that's when I shop or whatever.  My brains don't work when I go shopping and seem to skid to a hault when I get there--can't remember what I was going to get.  I just wing it!!!  If they like it they like it--if not, oh,well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,123
Points 411,179
gini replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:34 AM

tammy, i'm so glad they haven't figured out how to  cash in on thanksgiving.   it is my favorite holiday,  because it is all about family and friends with none of the hoopla.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,941
Points 234,177
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 3:49 PM

I love family at the holidays.  I have never been about the commercialization or keeping up with the Jones'... that just isn't my way.  We don't go overboard at Christmas ever - I do start Christmas shopping right after Christmas is over but i don't buy things that we don't need - and mostly I buy material or kits that are on sale for the next year...

We have always bought things as they were needed and never have gone into debt for a holiday  - I just can't see it... My kids get presents but we dont' go over board - we have always told them it is about God and family - not what you give or get...

I do love the holidays - every aspect - I do not, however, shop at the holidays except at the grocery store... I do not like crowds and do not go in for the "in" thing...lol

It is a shame that it has become so commercialized - and about keeping up with the Jones'  - that is just not me - My SILs love shopping after Thanksgiving day and Christmas Eve - I stay home and tell them have a good time...

It is to each there own though - I dont' think my way is any better then anyone else - i just do what I enjoy doing... and what I can do reasonably...

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use