Top 10 Posters

2012 Southeastern Quilt Retreat

Page 7 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 279 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

My son and his wife were up there for Spring break.  He planned to meet his dad, an uncle and two aunts who all live in the Maryville area for a meal.  I had suggested the Nascar Cafe and he was disappointed that it looked like they went out of business.  That is one thing I remember from all those trips I made up to my condo before I got married.  The Gatlinburg / Pigeon Froge area is always changing! 

Found another spot to check out as a possibility for our retreat --- Hidden Mountain Resort.  I sent them an e-mail to see if they can accomodate a bunch of ladies with sewing machines! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 505
Claire replied on Thu, May 5 2011 9:29 AM

If you are still looking for a place for your retreat there is a Christian retreat in Black Mountain NC called the Ridgecrest Center. It will hold lots of people, I went to some classes there about  10 years ago and it was very much like a small college with class rooms a dining hall and lovely grounds. It might be too big but it came to my mind when reading this thread. It is not far from Asheville.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

OK ladies.......  Today I was able to check out a quilt shop called Holloway's that has a retreat center.  Nice homey place.  Right now it will sleep 12, possilbly 13.  they are in the process of remodeling another small cabin on the property that will sleep an additional 2 or 3.  They are also working on remodeling another building on the propery that could be used for the actual sewing place. 

I still have two more places in this area that I want to check out for us.  I am meeting Diana at The Cherry Pit quilt shop in Sevierville tomorrow and am going to see if she can go with me to check out hidden Mountain.  I will also ask the ladies at the Cherry pit if they know of anywhere else that could be a possibility for a retreat.   There is also a place or two in North GA that I would like to check out for us.  I will keep you all posted.     

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 9 2011 4:20 PM

This sounds like tough duty, Marge.  I hope it doesn't wear you out.  ;-)

Thanks for checking out the sites.  DH & I will be ready to check out the SE states at that time!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

I know Nancy.  Checking out these quilt shops and retreat sites is a "dirty job but someone has to do it"  :o)   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Tue, May 10 2011 9:24 AM

Hi Ladies,

I might be interested in this retreat. Did you pick a date yet? As some of you may know I do travel a lot for business and I have already part of 2012 set with my work trips. As far as the location goes......I'll wherever!!!!

Isabella

Isabella

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Tue, May 10 2011 12:10 PM
Hi Nana and Marge - I know that you both have been organizing the trip so I thought I would pose this question to you. The instructor that taught me how to quilt was awesome! In fact, she has become a great family friend whom I love dearly! She lives in Franklin, Tennessee (about 3 1/2 hours away from Gatlinburg) and I thought that maybe if we all agreed that we wanted someone to come in and teach a lesson or something new, etc, Regina would be perfect! She previously owned a quilt shop and is always 'up' on the latest in quilting! We could all probably vote on what we wanted to learn or do a special project that we all would cherish forever! Anyway, let me know and maybe Regina could come, be apart of the retreat and lead us into something great. Let me know, thanks!
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

The happy wanderer checking in again.  Yesterday with Diana was awesome!!!  Ex SIL didn't show so I was glad that Diana had agreed to meet me.  It's a lot more fun with someone who shares your passion.  We visited Cherry Pit and Iva's.  Both shops would be willing to do something for us while we are up here - maybe a discount or a demo.  On the way back to where I am staying, I also stopped at Mountain Stitches by Susan on the Gatlinburg Arts and Crafts Loop.  She is also willing to give us a discount as long as she knows when we would be coming.  We also had a blast checking out Hidden Mountain Resort.  I would like all of you who ae interested to check out their website - www.hiddenmountain.com.   First click on the Lodge on the left hand side of the page.  When that comes up, click on The Bluff conference Center.  This is what Kay green - the gal that I have been e-mailing think would be our best bet for our sewing.  It will cost us $329 per day and would be available to us from 8 a.m. - midnight or in the case of mulitiple days, we could sew all night .:o)     As it is set up right now, Diana and I firgure it can handle 20 sewers easily and Kay said they could add more tables if we want.  Then check out some of the pictures of the bigger cabins.  You can do a search by property number so look at 2503 / 4083 / 4106 / 4115 / 4116.   It sounds expensive until you figure out we would be dividing it between roughly 20 people.  The reason I think this resort would be our best bet is the proximity to EVERYTHING - quilt shops, local crafts, discocunt shopping, FOOD.  Holloway's - while very quaint and right next door to a quilt shop, is small (only sleeping 12) and way out in the boonies. 

Biggest issue here is - this is the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area. This is a very popular area to visit so I would need pretty firm commitments probably by Labor Day to get us booked and to get a cabin that is large enough for all of us plus secure the conference center for our sewing.  If there are some who would want to stay off-site, I would still need you to give a firm commitment to share the cost of the conference center since it is seperate from the sleeping arrangements.  It would also mean that if you commit, you would have to pay your share no matter what.  I don't want to get stuck with a huge bill ( nor can any of us afford it ) because someone backed out at the last minute. The cabins that Diana and I looked at that would be big enough ranged from $550 to $800 per day (the $800 sleeps 24)  As far as the cabins, there is a three night minimum. At that - we would probably have only two days to sew so you would multiply the $329 by 2 for the cost of the conference center.  I am open to all suggestions at this point in time as to what you think about this resort, how long you want to stay, etc. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Wed, May 11 2011 10:39 AM
Hi Marge - I checked out the Hidden Mountain website and wow! Everything is so beautiful! Count me in! Lol
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 1,325
Jessie replied on Wed, May 11 2011 11:03 AM

southeast should mean the great Smokey Mtns.

pigeon forge or Gatlinburg

It is the mainstream of the southeast.

I vote something close to northeast Alabama!  :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 478
Points 6,090
Isabella replied on Wed, May 11 2011 11:11 AM

Marge,

I looked at the web site and I am in. Heather told me that should be in October, so I can come.

Isabella

Isabella

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, May 11 2011 11:14 AM

OMG, what a beautiful place.  I'll have to talk to my DH and seen what his plans are for the fall.  If we could motorhome down I could spend a weekend sewing and he could do ... whatever.  Fish?  maybe?  what is the date or have we just settled on a month?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Wed, May 11 2011 11:15 AM

Marge, I briefly checked out the site and all I can say is WOW!  I'm going to give this some real thought, I'd love to go.  Where can I find when we talked about it in the beginning?  Such as time of year, etc.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Isabella --- we are looking at early May  2012--- not Oct.  You can't buy, beg or steal a place up here in Oct. !!!!! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Marie - just go back to the beginning of this string.  We hadn't really talked about a time of year as yet but I made an "executive decision" after talking to several places up here.  Oct. is the busiest month up here with the summer months coming in second.  The dates that I talked about with Marie at Holloway's were the 15, 16 and 17 of May.  Weather is gorgeous and during the week isn't bad for getting aroudn.  The weekends are always busy up here.  I have been coming up here since the '80s.   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 7 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use