2012 Southeastern Quilt Retreat

Page 14 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 279 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 5:45 PM

Hi, Jamie. It is wonderful to have you with us.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 5:51 PM

Jamie

Welcome.  We have been looking closely at the Pigeon Forge area.  So far though we don't have any definite plans.  I think that area would be great as it is so beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 420
Points 28,385

Nana, I missed this thread somehow along the way.  I am in WNY but love to travel and depending on when it is, I would be inif y ou will take a crazy quilter)  Haven't done much traditional quilting but I don't mind spending time with the traditionalists :)

Tennessee wouldn't be a terrible drive for me--could do it in about 8 hours (depending on what part of the state)  I love to drive when the weather is good.

Keep me is the loop for this.  I will start to save my pennies.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 8:02 PM

The closest airport would be Knoxville which is kinda east of city. I would definately do a retreat there, and I would be willing to meet some folks at the airport and then drive to Cosby. It would save on rental cars and there is no public transportation. Airport is about 1 3/4 hrs from my home and then Cosby would probably be another hr. I have Honda Odyssey holds 8.

I would also consider other SE areas to attend. I prefer mtns even in spring but fall is awesome but not so easy to predict best weeks for colors, depends on which area and even a short distance can have great difference. Plus no rain means no real pretty show. I would prefer quilt shop be close by.

Atlanta would have most of everything but it is such a city thing!

Keep me posted on ideas and plans.

Nan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50

I am very interested in a southeastern quilt retreat.  Here are some thoughts on where, based strictly on my own personal experience traveling in these locales:

Asheville, NC in the eastern foothills of the Appalachian mountains in either spring or fall.  There are a number of nice quilt shops (I've shopped in quite a few) and a great Holiday Inn Hotel on the eastern edge of the outer ring around town.  Driving access is great via both east/west and north/south interstates.  The scenery is beautiful and the weather is wonderful in mid-to-late fall or spring. 

Knoxville, TN is on the western side of the Appalachian mountains and would also be great in either spring or fall.  Hotels/motels are likely to be reasonable.  Access is good either for those driving or flying.  I-75 runs north/south and I-40 runs east/west right by Knoxville.  I've been to a couple quilt shops in this area and loved them.  There's one on the western side of town right off I-40 that is really fun and has lots of fabric.  It's called Mammaw's Thimble;  the owner is very welcoming and fun.

Tampa, FL area, especially on the western side like around Dunedin (Rainbow's End Quilt shop has something like 20,000 bolts of fabric) or Clearwater.  This would be a perfect location in late fall or early spring before the weather gets too warm.  Access is really good via air or auto.

Atlanta coast of FL between Melbourne and Port St. Lucie/Ft. Pierce has a number of quilt shops.  Access is easy as these cities are located along the I-95 corridor.  I especially like Vero Beach which is about half-way between and has several quilt shops.  (My favorite is The Quilted Lily.)  Vero Beach is an hour-and-a-half drive from the Orlando Airport, but there are also smaller closer airports.  These towns are smaller and less congested than a big metropolitan area like Tampa or Atlanta. This would be a wonderful location in late fall or early-to-mid spring.  The weather is a little cooler on this side of Florida than on the Gulf coast.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 8:43 PM

Hi MNQuilter!  Welcome to QCA.  You seem to be well traveled.  Where in Minnesota do you live?  There are several MN members active on these discussion boards.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
Carie replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 8:47 PM

H, my name is Carie and I live in Rugby, Tenn. about 60 miles from Knoxville, Tn.  I just started reading your bulletin about the retreats. How advanced must you be to attend and where have you decided to go?    I am really inerested in attending - been quilting in a very non-serious way for about 3 years...would there berom for someone like me?  I do it just for my own pleasure - however, I have given some away to close non-quilting friends!!!  Thank you for your response.  Sincerely, Carie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 9:11 PM

Wow MN Quilter, fantastic ideas. I would go to any. I am still basically a beginner. But maybe by the time this happens will be better. I am taking classes locally... I hope Valerie will post and she what she thinks as she started idea..

Nan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 9:13 PM

Not Valerie.. I meant Nana!!

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 9:41 PM

I live in upstate SC, and I would love to participate! 

Beth in SC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 9:43 PM

Carrie

You can be a total beginner ...  never made a quilt before.  These retreats are as much about meeting our online friends as it is about sewing and quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 9:45 PM

Darlene

I love to do smaller crazy quilt projects.  Although I do have a king size bed quilt in the works that is mostly done by machine.  It will be finished someday...LOL>   I usually pull it out to work on when there is nothing else in the works.  Plus it is almost always a winter project because the fabrics are heavy and hot...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 105

I'm sure a few members of the Coastal Georgia Quilt Guild would love to attend a retreat. Please keep me posted of the time of year and the location.

Lizzie Lee

St. Simons Island, Georgia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,874
gini replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 12:36 AM

mnquilter and carie, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 75
Barb P replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:57 AM

I'm in Georgia and would be interested in a retreat.  Keep me in the loop.

Barb in the North Georgia Mountains

Page 14 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use