Page 1 of 19 (280 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 279 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana Posted: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:52 AM

There has been some interest expressed in doing some type of retreat in the southeast for next year.   I have been doing some looking into retreat centers and really need to know how many would be interested in doing this.  Also if interested would you rather be in the mountains or on the coast.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 245
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 275

If you're looking for mountains, Pipestem State Park in WV has a lodge or cabins, meeting rooms, dinning room, cafe, gift shop. The view out the dining room windows are breath taking.  There's golf, indoor swimming and outdoor, horseback riding, tram ride to lower resturant, deer, groundhogs, wild turkey, nature center, and lots more.  The down side is no major quilting shop nearby.  But a possibility of the one an hour away coming in and setting up a display for a day.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 1:09 PM

I'm interested!!!

I can think of two criteria for where to hold it.  1) Which location would be warmer?  2)  Which location is closer to airports and/or train stations?

Easter Marie raises a good point, too.  Proximity to a quilt shop would be a good thing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,327
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 5:51 PM

I'm interested. No preference for coast or mountains. I like them both (preferably without s**w).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,825
Points 106,070
Linny t replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 6:13 PM

I love both the mountains and the ocean.  I guess it depends on what state and what time of year.  If it were in the fall, mountans are my choice.  If it's in Florida, the coast in the spring is the best.  It'd be nice if it were near a Quilt Store or 2, lol.  I'm open to anything.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 6:22 PM

Linny

I have kind of been thinking about doing something in the central southeast to where it isn't super far for any of our eastern state folks.  We definitely wouldn't want to do summer months ....  way too hot and humid for any of our folks from the north....LOL>   April, May, September, October are all great weather months.  But suggestions from everyone is definitely a must.  One big thing is to get an idea of numbers.  Some of the retreat places can only handle 10 or less.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,037
Points 169,813
Marie replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 6:53 PM

I'm interested Nana and I agree with Linny, mountains in the fall and the coast in the spring.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

Oh, my! Nothing sounds better than fall in the mountains! But I don't know that I could come all the way from Kansas. Depends on if I could get someone to drive with me. I don't know about flying with my sewing machine. We were discussing that just this weekend. Would not want to check it, and it is way too heavy to drag it though an airport. But it sounds like a great time.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:38 PM

Elaine

What if we managed to find someone with a sewing machine to lend while you are at the retreat.   I am doing the Pacific NW retreat this fall and someone is loaning a machine so I don't have to try to get mine all the way to Washington from Virginia.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 720

where in the southeast?    I am in Ga. and don't know where you would consider?  I would be interested also.   Elaine what kind of machine do you have?

Peg

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 720

October is Ga. Quilt show in Atlanta.  I went last year and it was fabulous. some awesome quilts.  Going thurs to sewing and quilt expo in same place and have signed up for a class or two.  But a retreat saounds wonderful. def. interested!
Peg

Hephzibah Ga.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 9:45 PM

I have found one site so far in Cosby, TN which is about 20 miles outside of Gatlinburg.  There is a quitl shop and a farm house that is set up for retreats.  They can only handle 12 quilters.  I am not sure where the closest airport is though.  Will have to do more research.  Do know that Gatlinburg is a really neat area of TN.    I haven't found anything on the coast so far.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 10:07 PM

Really?!?  I'd like to keep track of this one.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:41 AM
Hi Nana - I would be interested in attending the Southeast 2012 Retreat. I traveled w/ a group in college through North and South Carolina and they both were beautiful! Charleston, SC was so lovely and would be perfect for a retreat. I'm sure with their southern grace, great quilt shops won't be hard to find. Also, you mentioned Gatlinburg, TN. I have been visiting there since I was a little girl and I never get tired of it! Absolutely picturesque! Living in Nashville now, I am about 3 hours west of the town and Knoxville is right outside Gatlinburg along w/ Pigeon Forge, TN. All of that area is Dolly Parton country lol. However, I am still a Florida girl and the whole State of Florida would be perfect too. :)
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 5:51 AM

Nana, I might be intrested depending on where and when . Maybe Elanie and i can come together ,.That would help us both with gas. Tn would be good and not a terrible drive.. Please keep me posted so I can make a decision and talk to Elaine..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 19 (280 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use