rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Judy Posted: Mon, Feb 28 2011 2:51 PM

Hi all,

I need help deciding on a pattern. My 16-year old grandson still has his dinosaur quilt I have him 12 years ago. He obviously wants a new one. He wants it black and white and only dark colors or red as accent colors. I have tons and tons of black and white fabric, but can't seem to decide on which pattern would look good as a queen size quilt.

I'd love everyone's advice.

Thanks,

Judy

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Judy replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 2:53 PM

make that "gave" not "have".

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,529
Points 51,060
Ginny replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:24 PM

HOW ABOUT A LOG CABIN STYLE QUILT?   THE LOGS COULD BE THE BLACK AND THE WHITES WITH THE CENTER  ( I FORGET IF IT IS CALLED THE WINDOW OR THE DOOR) , DONE IN THE RED.  EVEN A VERY DARK RED WOULD WORK.  YOU COULD BIND IT IN RED TO SET IT OFF.

I MADE A QUEEN SIZE ONE IN YELLOWS AND GRAYS WITH BLACK FOR THE DOOR AND BOUND IT IN BLACK.  VERY STRIKING.  THE COORDINATOR FOR THE SENIOR CENTER , WHO IS MALE, LOVED IT AND EVEN SOUGHT OUT THE QUILTERS AT BREAK TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS BEING DONE WITH IT AND WHO MADE IT. 

( I REALLY THINK HE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HAD IT)  IT IS THE ONLY QUILT THAT HE HAS SAID HE LIKED IN THE NEARLY 2 YEARS I'VE BEEN THERE            GINNY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:31 PM

hi judy.  you could use any black and white  or two color pattern and just throw in some accent colors here and there.  then a small border in one of the accent colors.  then a large black border.      black and white alway make a striking quilt, and throwing in another color makes them pop    

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:32 PM

Hi Judy,

This months Quiltmaker magazine March/April actually has a dinosaur section in it .The dinos are more adult looking and you could use whatever colors you choose. They use fusing so you could put them on any patterned quilt you like.  I would add flames and other cool stuff!  Or if you don't  want dinos, I like the idea of homespun for our grown grandson.

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Judy - Joni made a "turning twenty" in blacks and whites with a touch of lime green that looked really nice.  I think she posted a pickture of it here somewhere. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:48 PM

Judy,

In the QCA free pattern section, look for Quilting Treasures-An Appointed Time.  Just change the size and swap out fabrics for what you have.  Also, go to bwquiltchallenge.blogspot.com and look at that quilt.  Another place would be hancocks-paduchah.com and look for Michael Miller Black & White Quilt Kit-just throw in some red here and there.  Try allpeoplequilt.com and look for Striking Black-and-White Quilt.  If you find a pattern that you like and it isn't the right size, let me know if you need help resizing and finding necessary yardage.

Pat

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:43 PM

Boy you have already gotting so many good answers that I really have nothing to add.   Good luck and don't forget we want pictures when it is done

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Judy replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:24 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I really like the "An Appointed Time" pattern. How many blocks would you suggest for the queen size? It say 3 X 5 for a twin size. Each block is 13 1/2.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 8:27 PM

Judy

I would do 7 x 8 blocks to get a queen size.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 8:41 PM

Judy, I can't wait to see it.  Isn't this just the best place to get any question you have answered with options?

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Judy replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 12:02 AM

Thanks. I will do my darndest to get started on it tomorrow.

Yes, it is a place to get any question you have answered.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:19 AM

Can't wait to see it--

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:29 AM

I did a black and white quilt with Red for my nephew.  See attached Hope that gives you some inspiration ideas. 

from Minnesota

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:32 AM

Beautiful, Peggy.  Love the hombres.

Linny T

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use