Need Quilting Advice Please

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:38 PM

I just finished this Crown Royal Quilt and I am still at a loss on how to quilt it. Usually by the time I have all the piecing done I know exactly how I am going to quilt it - This time I am totally stumped! HELP!!!

The only thing I do know is I don't want to stitch in the ditch.

I thought about an all over pattern but I am worried that will take away from the block. Just totally perplexed on this one. And I am also ready to be done with this project. so my brain is shutting down....

Sorry these pictures aren't very good. my camera is broke so all I have is my cell phone.

Complete; the quilt is 30 star in a star Crown Royal blocks with sashing. The yellow is flannel and the purple is a moda marble. The quilting thread I have is purple.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. (The easier and quicker the better :) :)

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 70

Personally I would quilt around each star, I feel an all over pattern would take away from it and it is very beautiful! Great Job!

Christy :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 8:52 PM

Quilt what around each star? And would you go into the sashing or do something different in the sashing?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I would probably do an all over design myself.  I guess it depends on the purpose of the quilt but I think all over meander with yellow thread would be pretty.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:08 PM

I am making the quilt for a friend. She purchased all the materials and said if I made it she would show it off at work and see if she could get some commissions for me.

What kind of all over design? A meander?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:15 PM

Joy

I would do an all over meander or swirls and loops.  If you want less distraction with the quilting use a monofilament thread.  Beautiful quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:24 PM

Thank you Nana. I didn't think about momofilament! I told ya my brain was fried. How does it work with flannel?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,215 Posts
Points 111,990

Nice quilt, Joy! Since there isn't any pattern in the fabrics there are lots of areas that are perfect for showing off quilting, maybe with feathers or something in the yellow sections.  I know it's harder than an all over, but I guess it just depends on your experience.  You could do 1/4" echo around the stars to make them pop a little.  It's a lot easier than in the ditch.  If you felt ambitious you could do a stylized crown shape in the large star points with your purple thread to emphasize the theme.  Sometimes when I get stumped, I start by doing the utilitarian quilting.  I mean the quilting that will keep the whole thing stable.  Then I step back and see what comes to me.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
185 Posts
Points 2,800
Meggov replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:37 PM

I think I have the same picture in my head as Jeanine - All over meander with yellow/gold thread.  But even with nothing - Beautiful quilt!

Margaret

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 10:37 PM

Joy,

What a beatiful quilt! I do hope your friend showing it off gets you some business.

Quilting - sashing - try loopy loops or a wide serpentine

Yellow squares and purple triangles - sew a 1/4 line of stitching on the inside the square or triangle decreasing 1/4 inch each round and ending in the center.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 11:12 PM

beautiful quilt, i agree with nana    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Joy, Your quilt turned out great.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Joy,

As a longarm quilter, I would quilt in the yellow areas with a yellow thread.  This would allow your quilting to show but not to take center stage.  Also by doing only the yellow it will actually outline the purple sashing and your center star would look as if it had a little trapunto to it. I would do a small meander and it looks like you could do it continuously from the pictures that you took.

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Oh. gak, another hobby.  Now i'll have to drink enough Crown Royal to make my own quilt. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:16 PM

ok...I did it. It's finished. I will post pictures as soon as they are emailed to me. I took a bit of advice from everyone I think! I only had purple thread and no desire to go back to the store so that's what I ended up using. I echoed both stars, sat back and looked at the quilt and it looked complete. I thought  - don't mess with what already looks good - so I put the binding on and was done! ( plus my wrists were killing me). Because the echo went into the sashing it seemed to pop the stars and be just enough quilting to give the quilt a complete look. Thank you so much everyone for all your help! You guys are fantastic!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use