Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta Posted: Fri, Aug 28 2009 1:31 AM

When hand quilting, do you prefer to wax your cotton thread? I am not sure that it makes a difference if the cotton thread is waxed or not. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks for your input!

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
lguichar replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:35 AM

I do a LOT of hand quilting, and found that the YL1 quilting thread (and the Guterman's) don't need any waxing.  The thread doesn't get tangled, and I cut my thread about 45-50" long.  I tried waxing my thread a while back, and found that it didn't make a noticeable difference.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 10:14 AM

Hi lguichar,

maybe that's it. I use Güterman thread as well and it works beautiful for me. There are less expensive threads out there and sometimes they tangle up and might need waxing. I guess it depends on what you buy.

I use the 100 % cotton thread for hand quilting and don't know what the YL1 is. Is this the same thread?

Thanks.

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,312
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:58 PM

Hand quilting thread is already waxed... if you use something else - I will use thread heaven- the stuff in the little blue box - just run my thread through it and have no problems - but that is when I am using just regular cotton thread or a poly or rayon or metallic...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,873
Points 366,872
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:24 PM

Never had the need to wax my thread but I always use hand quilting thread for that purpose.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 8:34 PM

I don't do any hand quilting ... only hand stitch my bindings.  I always use the stuff in the little blue box too, but maybe I wouldn't need to if I used a better thread.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,312
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 8:39 PM

Sandy, i don't think it is a matter of better threads - some of the best silk threads will tangle at the worst time.  I dont' use cheap threads but think the thread stuff is great.  it keeps it from tangling and that is a good thing...lol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:03 PM

Hi Althea,

that's news to me that all quilting threads are already waxed. Need to check into that.  I have switched to Güterman threads and they work beautifully without waxing.  I have been using the the yellow wax to use for orther 100 % cotton threads, but it has not made any difference on how the thread is going through the layers of fabric.  I don't use Polyester threads for hand quilting at all. Occasionally, I use polyester threads for hand applique or maybe hand piecing,  but if  I can avoid it, I will. For hand work I like to use 100 % cotton.  I have  used a metallic thread for a Christmas table topper once and it was very hard to work with (hand quilting). Maybe it would work better for machine quilting rather than hand quilting. I love silk threads for hand applique and never had any problems with tangeling at all. If they were not so expensive, I would exclusively use silk threads for hand applique, because they go into  the fabric like "butter".......love it.

Thank you....................and happy quilting!

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:04 PM

Hi Althea,

please don't tell me you are waxing your silk threads.....lol!

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:08 PM

Hi Kris,

that's what throughs me off! I use 100 % cottong threads for hand quilting and I have worked with them waxed and un-waxed and I don't see any difference. Hm.....wonder what the wax is for.

Jutta, CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:49 PM

I think the wax was to make the thread stronger. Initially, like 247 years ago (!), when threads weren't as strong, women used bee's wax to strengthen the wax. (I probably have the whole history thing wrong, but it's basically correct.) Anyway, the Quilter's Dream in the little blue box isn't to strengthen the thread but to keep it from tangling.

One other thing that can be done, when hand quilting, is to knot the correct correct end. I don't remember which it is. I hand quilt so seldom that I have to look it up each time. But the way the thread is put on to the spool determines the lay of the fibers. I think you put the knot at the end you just cut and that keeps the fibers going the right direction.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,312
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:54 PM

Jutta, I do use thread heaven on my silk threads when I am using it for applique - and it keeps the threads from tangling...

If you look at thread that is marked for hand quilting - it has a stiff layer on it - that is to keep it going through the material without breaking and tangling...my understanding is that that is wax... I could be wrong - I often am but that is why the thread is so much stiffer and you are told not to use it in your sewing machine.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 11:01 PM

Althea :
it has a stiff layer on it - that is to keep it going through the material without breaking and tangling...my understanding is that that is wax...

Mine, too, Thea!

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 11:04 PM

Judy, that is interesting, about making a knot at the right end of the thread. I make my knot at the end of the thread where it's been cut.  Maybe, that's the reason I don't need to wax the thread. I have used bees wax (yellow) at a class I took 15 years ago, because the teacher  suggested it.

It makes sense what you are saying, that the thread wasn't that good back in those days and the wax made the thread stronger. Seigh.................I got and answer to my weird question. lol.

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,312
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 29 2009 11:08 PM

I just read up on threads again - and most threads that are labeled "hand quilting thread"

Hand Quilting Thread is easy to use for hand quilters because often it is made from 100 percent cotton and comes already glazed to give you a stronger thread.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use